Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Burnley (A) - Pre-Match Thread - 03/02/2021

3 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Thomas will be totally bullied by Burnley; don't think we can play him in this game and he needs a rest anyway after 3 tough matches in a week. So if Ricardo has to be rested too, I think we might have to go with a back 4 of Castagne, Big Dan, Cags and Fuchs. At least they're all 6 foot plus to deal with the barrage of high balls. I think we must also play Ndidi as he is so important winning headers off defensive set pieces. Even if we pack our team with as many tall players as we can muster, you can bet Dyche will be licking his lips at their prospects of scoring off a set piece against us. 

On what basis will Thomas be bullied? From what I’ve seen he’s struggled more against good classy wingers rather than long ball merchants. He’s surprisingly good in the air for his size and won the majority of headers against Sima in both legs in Europe, who looked considerably bigger than him. 

This is Burnley we’re talking about we shouldn’t / won’t set up entirely around the basis that they’ll sling a few long balls up against us and have a few corners. Go there with a positive set up and win.

• Like 3

Its Wilf & Youri we need to somehow manage during these next 3 games, they were both dead on their feet & it was 1 of the worst performances i'd seen from Wilf which i'd put squarely on fatigue.
The rest of the team, those that are fit anyway, haven't played as many minutes so should be able to push through with possibly Vardy having a games rest also.

So I can see a change of shape coming up with a back 3 deployed  which then allows Ricardo / Castagne to rotate as RWB as both need to be managed after their injuries, with Thomas on the other side.
Centrally obviously Mendy comes in for Wilf but do you rest both at the same time & have Tavares covering Youri or have atleast 1 of them whilst the other rests.
Could Leshabela cover Youri to allow Tavares to play the Maddison role, or vice versa?
We would then have Vardy, Nacho, Albrighton, Under, Leshabela/Tavares to play the 3 forward roles

Thinking outside the box & trying to find a solution to get Youri a rest, if BR not confident that 1 of the young lads could cover & having Hamza in makes us too defensive could we deploy our own James Milner & have Albrighton in that position, i'm talking as an outside option for 1 game?
As i say its thinking outside the box, he is an experienced pro who can adapt & has the discipline, he has a great engine, he can pick a pass both short & long over the top types. I fully understand its not ideal & is a million miles from what Youri gives but could it be a more attacking option than Hamza trying to play that role.

These are tough times and we need our leaders to lead & asking the young lads to shoulder the responsibiltiy & owning the midfield when they haven't started as yet is a big ask especially as these next 3 games are going to be the dig in & get dirty type games.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

On what basis will Thomas be bullied? From what I’ve seen he’s struggled more against good classy wingers rather than long ball merchants. He’s surprisingly good in the air for his size and won the majority of headers against Sima in both legs in Europe, who looked considerably bigger than him. 

This is Burnley we’re talking about we shouldn’t / won’t set up entirely around the basis that they’ll sling a few long balls up against us and have a few corners. Go there with a positive set up and win.

Even against Arsenal it was more the naivety of going in on Pepe and giving him the opportunity to dive . He didn't get ripped apart by him and for me the he and the other players should of been in the refs ear more regarding Pepes diving . 

Even the senior players are all too passive for me at the moment. 

• Like 1

Ndidi has been way out of sorts since the Liverpool game. As much as we are missing our creative players, it's often Ndidi's ability that makes us so good defensively. Whilst we might see a reduction in scoring goals whilst Barnes and Maddison are out and Vardy out of sorts, if we are in good form defensively with Ndidi in fine fettle then we still have a very good chance of picking up small margin wins as we try and come up with ways of winning and maintaining our position.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

Always seems preferable to start the stronger players and get the lead to defend. 

What if you don't get the lead? Take them off when we're chasing a goal? Wouldn't go down well. The thinking I guess is you bring them on in the second half as the opposition is tiring and so they give you that extra advantage.

I think Tilly will play .BR will ask him and he will say yes I can(bob the builder),Even on 80 % he can sit in and provide the outlet and the next ball and several times a game its the killer ball.Not ideal  but  his quality on the ball that makes it the right decision. Its Burnley not Man U

57 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Ndidi has been way out of sorts since the Liverpool game. As much as we are missing our creative players, it's often Ndidi's ability that makes us so good defensively. Whilst we might see a reduction in scoring goals whilst Barnes and Maddison are out and Vardy out of sorts, if we are in good form defensively with Ndidi in fine fettle then we still have a very good chance of picking up small margin wins as we try and come up with ways of winning and maintaining our position.

Said so myself - Wilf having 2 below-par performances is why we lost the last 2 games, in essence.

• Like 1

Set pieces ,heading, Ünder. all useful potentially against Burnley. Proposed by many ,opposed by many. What a pity the proposers were ignored . 

Look at Arsenals simple Luiz goal. I suspect it did n't go entirely to plan. We were probably lucky they did n't try it again , a slight improvement and we'd have probably lost 4-1.

Revised selection after injury update:

Schmeichel

Castagne

Amartey

Soyuncu

Thomas

Ricardo

Ndidi

Tielemans

Albrighton

Iheanacho

Vardy

Match their 4-4-2 from the start.

Only tactical tweak I can see with our lack of options mid game is going to 3-5-2. Move Ndidi to CB and bring some legs on to help Youri. 

45 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

When was the last time we did the double over Burnley? Surely this is the time for us to do it? 

Didn't we manage to around 2012?

Edit: I was correct.

Last time that LCFC did the double over them:

16 Mar 2019 Burnley v Leicester City W 1-2 Premier League
19 Oct 2019 Leicester City v Burnley W 2-1 Premier League

https://www.11v11.com/teams/leicester-city/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Burnley/

Edited by Wymsey
Correct, not incorrect.

2 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Edit: I was incorrect.

https://www.11v11.com/teams/leicester-city/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Burnley/

2012 is actually correct, those 2 results are from separate seasons: 18/19 and 19/20

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Edit: I was correct.

Lost 3 of the last 4 games at Turf Moor. Not a happy place for us!

3 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

In retrospect, "bullied" is the wrong word but you can bet Burnley will aim to isolate Thomas against Wood at the far post and it will be very difficult for him to deal with. If he does play, the key will be for those on the right side of our defence to stop McNeill whipping in crosses to the back stick ie stop the problem at source.

Agree that we have to be positive in our approach but we also need to be ready for dealing with lots of high balls into our box. Even the likes of Man U packed their team with tall players when they played away at Burnley to try to counter that threat.

• Thanks 1

Confidence and hope slowly rebuilding after not giving a damn about the rest of the season up until about an hour or two ago.

Schmeichel

Castagne

Amartey (assuming Evans is out)

Soy

Thomas

Ndidi

Tavares

Albrighton

Under

Ricardo

Kel

Rest for Youri, Ricardo and Vardy, ideally we don't see them at all.

Looking for positives, we may not be so predictable attacking wise especially if vardy is rested.

Realistically i'd expect this to be a turgid affair.

Perhaps if burnley really needed the points they could do us over in our crippled state.

A win is a big confidence boost that we are still alive but i think rodgers will be looking for a draw.

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Looking forward to Fuchs and Albrighton pinging crosses in for Vardy but landing right on top of Mee and Tarkowski's heads every single time. Can't wait lol

This is painfully accurate. 

Take a draw tomorrow???

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Looking forward to Fuchs and Albrighton pinging crosses in for Vardy but landing right on top of Mee and Tarkowski's heads every single time. Can't wait lol

Vardy scored a header against them last season by out jumping Mee :ph34r:

• Like 1

Not sure there's an away ground the has brought so many emotions as Turf Moor in recent years.

2014 - 2-0 win to effectively seal promotion

2015 - Missed pen for them and Vardy scoring within a minute to help us massively in survival.

2019 - Wes Morgan winner in the last minute after playing with 10 men for 85 mins. One of my favourite away games.