Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Burnley (A) - Pre-Match Thread - 03/02/2021

Can't wait for the lineup of: 

Ward

Amartey Evans Cags 

Kevin                                          Fuchs

N'didi Mendy Hamza

Under                                      

Ian

I feel like that would be an exciting lineup..

• Haha 4

I'm not sure I see much point in playing Vardy against a team we know will sit deep and defend. Since this wont play to his strengths (even if he was fully fit) then better to rest him imo. Nacho should get the nod imo. The issue is really who's going to be the creative players behind him since our really creative players are injured. I've yet to see Under really do anything that impresses me but maybe if he can pick the ball up and run into the box he might win us a pen??? But I'd rather play Abrighton and Ricardo down the right though because that's a much better way of getting the ball into Nacho while pretty much locking down that wing. And we don't want Tielemans pushing up into the space Maddison would normally occupy so we need a link through mid-field (something drastically needed in the game against Arsenal). But I have no idea who that would be. 

I was wondering what would happen if you played Fuchs in left back (we know he can do a job there) and push Thomas up the pitch. 

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

With us likely to have 6 or so U23s in the match day squad for this, who would you say are most likely?

Obviously Thomas, Daley-Campbell and Tavares appear to be in the squad - who else can you see coming in for this one? Both the likely options knowing the club and who you’d have line up

Flynn, Fitzhugh, Pennant, Nelson (currently injured) and Suengchittawon have all been training with the 1st team as well as Tavares, VDC and Leshabela. 

Fitzhugh and Pennant were the best two creative players for the U18's last season. Pennant scored and assisted a lot at LW and Fitzhugh either plays as a left footed right winger or as an ACM. 

I think Flynn is probably the closest to the 1st team apart from Tavares and VDC but we don't really need a left back/left sided equivalent of Marc Albrighton. Therefore hopefully Pennant and Tavares get a chance. 

If Vardy and Evans are injured:

Castagne Amartey Soyuncu Thomas

Ndidi Tielemans

Under Tavares Ricardo

Iheanacho

Ricardo got the winner for us vs Everton in 2019/20 from left wing, he's a bigger goal threat than Albrighton, that's why I want to try him there. Tavares is the big gamble but if it works it works, and if it doesn't work then we're ****ed anyway because our midfield is not going to build any play.

• Like 1

Just hope that Timmy and Ric are fit enough as really feel they're our best hope of creativity down the flanks now. 

If so, given Burnley will be hoofing like crazy and we are running out of attackers I'd go for a back 3 to maximise our chances of dealing with their high balls (I know, some hope!!), with Timmy and Ric as wing backs.

So assuming Evans and Maddison are definitely out (don't think we've had confirmation of that just yet, unless I've missed it) we'd line up something like this:

Kasper

Big Dan

Cags 

Fuchs (unless little Wes is available)

Ric

Hamza/Mendy

Youri

Wilf

Timmy

Vardy

Nacho

I get that he might want to rest Youri in particular but he's the last bit of genuine creativity we have left with no Barnes and (I assume) Maddison. I'm thinking that Brendan might say to him, please get through this and the Brighton game for me then you have an 8 day rest. If by some miracle, we can get a couple of goals ahead, just sub Youri early and go for the old 3 CDM tactic.

There's a question mark over whether to rest Vardy. If Perez is fit, maybe we could go for a deadly duo frontline of Perez and Ian, God help us!! Tbf, they did alright together away at West Ham last season!

Edited by Sunbury Fox

Hearing Jonny Evans is out for 2 weeks, I really hope not but it gives Fofana a pathway straight back into the side and a chance to see the partnership deep down everyone has wanted to see. I don't think Fofana will make Burnley but will be straight back in for Brighton. 

I would go;

Kasper

Ricardo

Amartey

Soyuncu

Castagne

Ndidi 

Tielemans

Under

Iheanacho

Albrighton

Vardy 

I can quite comfortably see Rodgers going with Thomas at full back and Ricardo instead of Under on the wing though! 

9 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Maddison potentially back for the Sheff Utd game and then Man Utd is huge for us. Let's hope there's no recurrence of the injury between now and then! 

Would make sense if he was eased in at Sheffield (maybe subbed on for 30 mins) and then started against Utd.

1 minute ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Would make sense if he was eased in at Sheffield (maybe subbed on for 30 mins) and then started against Utd.

would expect Perez to be around the squad then to as well as Fofana. 

Press Conference - https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-press-conference-live-5058155

Leicester City's success over the remaining dozen Premier League games will be dependent on the number of players they have fit.

Right now, there are eight on the sidelines, including the likes of Harvey Barnes, James Maddison, Jonny Evans and James Justin.

Brendan Rodgers will be giving an update on the fitness of his City squad as they prepare to travel to Burnley on Wednesday night for yet another match, with the relentless schedule yet to ease.

If any players are likely to return from injury it is Ayoze Perez and Wesley Fofana, but this game may come too soon for them. Meanwhile, the results of Evans scan will determine if he can face the Clarets.

For the best of the updates from the press conference, follow below.

13:54JORDAN BLACKWELL

Injuries at home?

“A lot of it is coincidence. I don’t think there’s anything specific to where the injuries have been. It’s the fatigue. It’s something the medical and sports science team will monitor it, and it they feel it’s something to do with the pitches, they will flag that."

Maddison fit for weekend?

“No, I don’t believe so. They are hoping to have him on the grass and running, but I don’t think it’s kicking the ball, so I wouldn’t want to forecast that for the weekend.”

Vardy?

“He’s a player who is an amazing talent. He’s come back off the back of a hernia operation, and he’s played a lot of games and I wouldn’t really want him to. You still want to take the load off him. He’s still such an important player for us. It’s getting the recovery in to him. He’s a natural goalscorer and is one of the best strikers in the league.

“You have to remember he is 34, and even though he still has his speed and these great qualities, ideally you wouldn’t want to put that on him and this stage of his career. He is a fighter. His mentality is very strong. He’s done amazing for us. We’ll have to manage that, and if we do feel he has to come out, it’s something we’ll look at. At the moment, it’s been playing and recovering, without much training."

Young players ready for Premier League?

“I’ve always believed in young players. Sidnei was ready to come on yesterday, but then Jonny was struggling, so we had to make that change and Sidnei didn’t get to come on. The Premier League is a difficult league to put too many in, but I’ve seen young players develop. I see their personalities and if they’re ready to go in. You never know sometimes until you do put them in. Vontae came in against Brighton and he was man of the match. We’ll see if they’re required."

13:53JORDAN BLACKWELL

How creative do you have to get?

“It will be no different to the beginning of the season, and seeing what system suited. Our principles will be the same in terms of how we want to play, and then it’s finding a system that exploits what we want to do.”

Tielemans?

“He’s a fabulous player. I’d love to have taken him out. That freshness is vital when you play so often. He’s got a great mentality. It’s just unfortunate that I can’t recover him as much as I would want to.”

Young players?

“We’ve had some of our younger players on the bench. We’re missing talent from the team. I don’t tend to worry too much about it. It’s an opportunity for other players to come in. Can we find a way to play how we want to play.”

“A group of Under-23s have been our group. We’ll look within our young talents and we’ve had a number of those make their debut. And I’m sure some of them will be needed over the next couple of weeks as well. When Ricardo was out, Justin came in and was amazing. There may well be an opportunity for other players.”

13:52JORDAN BLACKWELL

Better achievement to be where you are this season?

“I believe so, in terms of this point, we’ve had injuries and European football, and that can prove difficult. We haven’t done anything yet. My attitude is that we’re not in the top four until we see where we’re at at the end of the season. We’ve got nothing to lose because we haven’t earned anything yet.”

Injuries frustrating?

“We don’t have the depth in the squad that others have. You saw that with the players Arsenal had on the bench. We can’t go on too much about it. We’ve got a lot of talent that is out. We’ll find a way to get a result. There will be another opportunity for other players to come in."

Maddison back?

“Nothing more. We’re hoping later in the week he might be able to get out on the grass.”

13:51JORDAN BLACKWELL

Evans?

“He’ll have a scan later today to see where that’s at. Jonny is from the old school, he’ll play through anything to help his team. It was hurting through the game.”

13:51JORDAN BLACKWELL

Vardy?

“He had a sharp reaction but nothing more than that. He played the game. He’s a bit stiff, but I don’t think there’s anything more than soreness.”

13:50JORDAN BLACKWELL

Barnes injury?

“We’re hopeful he will go in for surgery tomorrow. Part of the patella has separated. It’s a repair job. Hopefully he can be back in six weeks. It’s better than what it could have been in terms of JJ and what he had. Hopefully that’s close to playing (in six weeks).”

13:28JORDAN BLACKWELL

Rodgers has arrived

Updates to follow.

13:25JORDAN BLACKWELL

Hello!

Good afternoon and thanks for joining us.

We're expecting Brendan Rodgers to take his seat in five minutes or so, so stay tuned.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

I can see the glint in Brendan's eye, he knows he's got the ace of hearts up his sleeve in Tavares and he's about to fling it. GO ON SIDNEI MY SON!!

LeadingViciousAlbertosaurus-size_restric

Joking apart, it seems to me that Tavares is very much in his plans.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Joking apart, it seems to me that Tavares is very much in his plans.

I think he would have come on in place of Vardy with Nacho going as a loan striker if the injury list hadn't been so awful

Tavares being 6ft 2 might well come in to Rodgers thinking when we're up against Burnley, Brighton and Sheff Utd. His added height is a bonus really given we need all the help we can get at defending and attacking set pieces. 

It'll come as no surprise but I'd start him on Wednesday, then get a load of cans in for the bus home when he's won it for us.

• Like 4