Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Burnley (A) - Pre-Match Thread - 03/02/2021

7 minutes ago, davieG said:

I think he would have come on in place of Vardy with Nacho going as a loan striker if the injury list hadn't been so awful

He's a midfielder, in the Tielemans bracket of sauce.

7 hours ago, AKCJ said:

He's a midfielder, in the Tielemans bracket of sauce.

Yeah I know he'd drop in behind Nacho as a lone striker as we'd move away from 442.

Edited by davieG
Changed loan to loan Ooooops

Kasper 

Ric

soy

amartey

Castagne

N’didi

tielemans 

perez? If fit if not nacho in behind Vardy 

under

iheanacho

albrighton

Under is the most like for like replacement for Barnes (yes nowhere near the quality based on what we’ve seen so far), I think if we go for 2 more defensive minded midfielders in Ricardo and Albrighton it could be very dull viewing with very little created.

Vardy could really do with a rest on recent evidence, can’t go a half without clearly having issues with his groin.

7 hours ago, davieG said:

I think he would have come on in place of Vardy with Nacho going as a loan striker if the injury list hadn't been so awful

Sounds like it was Tielemans coming off.

Kasper

Amartey Syoncu Fuchs

Castagne.                                   Thomas

N’didi.       Tilemans 

Under                                        Albrighton

Vardy 

Subs: Ward, Ricardo, Daley-Campbell, Evans (if fit enough), Mendy, Hamza, Ihenacho

i think we have to play to our strengths and right now, despite the injury to JJ we still have several very good/class full backs so we need to keep them fit, hence rotating Ricardo. In this set up under and albrighton act more as wide attacking players than wingers, with genuine wing backs behind them. We also have two CBs who have spent most of their careers at full back. My biggest concern with this team is that it’s another game for our midfield 2 who are surely going to burn out soon. 

I can see us rotating as much as is possible.

whilst you wouldn’t have this down as an ideal game for pappy re the likely physical nature and needing to defend set plays, expect to see him ! 

wouldnt surprise me to see vards rested. Thomas may get the nod if he wants to play Fuchs in a back three - otherwise we may see Fuchs at left back. Castagne at RB or possibly VDC if TC’s numbers are risky 

all looking pretty scary at turf moor but getting a fully fit squad post the int break bar JJ and Harvey is a priority. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

If it's true that Tavares is 6'2" then it's a yes from me.:ph34r:

he could be 6’5” but winning a header defending a  Burnley set piece requires more than just a ladder .......

8 hours ago, Jakemoore said:

Kasper

Amartey Syoncu Fuchs

Castagne.                                   Thomas

N’didi.       Tilemans 

Under                                        Albrighton

Vardy 

Subs: Ward, Ricardo, Daley-Campbell, Evans (if fit enough), Mendy, Hamza, Ihenacho

i think we have to play to our strengths and right now, despite the injury to JJ we still have several very good/class full backs so we need to keep them fit, hence rotating Ricardo. In this set up under and albrighton act more as wide attacking players than wingers, with genuine wing backs behind them. We also have two CBs who have spent most of their careers at full back. My biggest concern with this team is that it’s another game for our midfield 2 who are surely going to burn out soon. 

Usually, Burnley would love nothing more than to have wood and Barnes in the air against a full back. the only problem is that I’m not sure we have many options other than to play Dan alongside cags and if we need to go three then Fuchs is also a shoe in unless he decided to drop wilf in there. Could be that having three bodies in there who aren’t really too mobile as a unit (not as individuals) may be ok tomorrow as Burnley’s tactics will be likely to be ‘Chuck it in the mixer’ rather than tikka takka 

• Like 1

Thomas will be totally bullied by Burnley; don't think we can play him in this game and he needs a rest anyway after 3 tough matches in a week. So if Ricardo has to be rested too, I think we might have to go with a back 4 of Castagne, Big Dan, Cags and Fuchs. At least they're all 6 foot plus to deal with the barrage of high balls. I think we must also play Ndidi as he is so important winning headers off defensive set pieces. Even if we pack our team with as many tall players as we can muster, you can bet Dyche will be licking his lips at their prospects of scoring off a set piece against us. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Thomas will be totally bullied by Burnley; don't think we can play him in this game and he needs a rest anyway after 3 tough matches in a week. So if Ricardo has to be rested too, I think we might have to go with a back 4 of Castagne, Big Dan, Cags and Fuchs. At least they're all 6 foot plus to deal with the barrage of high balls. I think we must also play Ndidi as he is so important winning headers off defensive set pieces. Even if we pack our team with as many tall players as we can muster, you can bet Dyche will be licking his lips at their prospects of scoring off a set piece against us. 

Fofana will most likely replace Evans, not Big Dan.

Just as an aside to all this talk about needing height to match Burnley's strength in the air, it might be of interest to know that Leicester's outfield players were marginally taller than Burnley's outfield players based on Sunday's teams.  Though if Wood comes in for Rodriguez as rumoured, Burnley would sneak it.

Burnley aren't a big side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Height isnt the main issue. The fact Rodgers or whoever coaches set pieces has the players stood like statues marking thin air in the main problem. Also we bring everyone back which means the other teams can really load up the box

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think this is the sort of game Mendy could be effective in.  He'll have plenty of time in midfield and he can pick an efficient short pass going forward under those circumstances.  If Evans and Fofana are both out I'd plunk Wilf back there and use Mendy in midfield. 

30 minutes ago, Heymister2015 said:

Based on the team being dead on there feet I’d go Schmeichel, castagne, Soyuncu, Evans, Fuchs, Albrighton, Mendy, Tavares, Thomas, under behind Iheanacho. Bring on Vardy, tieliemans, ndidi in the second half 

Surely you'd start those three and hope to take them off in the second half and defend a lead, if we had one obviously, 45 minutes isn't going to make much difference to fitness.

24 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Surely you'd start those three and hope to take them off in the second half and defend a lead, if we had one obviously, 45 minutes isn't going to make much difference to fitness.

Always seems preferable to start the stronger players and get the lead to defend. 

2 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Have we had an update on Perez? Id chuck Fafs in if he is fit. 

Not quire ready according to the Rodgers

However, Rodgers thinks this week’s games will be too early for the Spaniard.

“He (Perez) is out training,” Rodgers said. “I don’t think he’ll be available for the two games this week.

“I saw him out on the grass with the medical team. He’s feeling good. That was his first introduction back out.

“We’ll see how he is at the end of the week. Then maybe available for the game after Brighton (against Sheffield United).”