Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Burnley (A) - Pre-Match Thread - 03/02/2021

If Evans is out, he will go to a back 3 with Soy, Amartey and Fuchs 

Makes sense against a bully team like Burnley, although I have never been impressed with Fuchs aerially. Soy will have to dominate those aerial challenges we all know are coming! 

8 minutes ago, KFS said:

This is painfully accurate. 

Take a draw tomorrow???

Yep, but more based on lack of squad depth and stops the 'rot' of losing games. 3 points always the desire but under the circumstances, wouldn't begrudge a point earned. 

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

When was the last time we did the double over Burnley? Surely this is the time for us to do it? 

Yes........go on. I'll give you a start.............time for us to do it. By...............

Edited by Alan Frost

10 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

A draw wouldn't be a disappointment, providing that if we have quite a few attempts (in other words, go for it) and Nick Pope has a top-drawer day.

A draw would be a big disappointment for me. After 2 really disappointing results and win is needed for confidence and top 4 ambitions. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Not sure there's an away ground the has brought so many emotions as Turf Moor in recent years.

2014 - 2-0 win to effectively seal promotion

2015 - Missed pen for them and Vardy scoring within a minute to help us massively in survival.

2019 - Wes Morgan winner in the last minute after playing with 10 men for 85 mins. One of my favourite away games.

Also some horrid memories. 

Sousa, Moreno, Logan and Lamey masterclass 

Puel fielding Silva and Hamza in the middle of the park whilst Burnley celebrate virtually securing European football over us 

You could argue the rot last season started when JV missed a penalty at 1-1

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, supernuk said:

A draw would be a big disappointment for me. After 2 really disappointing results and win is needed for confidence and top 4 ambitions. 

I think a draw would be okay. I'm half expecting a lot of line-up changes. I couldn't watch the Arsenal match, but I listened to it on the radio, and it sounded like we were spent. I think we might try to rest a few for Saturday, so if that's the case, I won't be expecting much from a heavily-rotated team from an injury-ravaged squad.

Just now, Raw Dykes said:

I think a draw would be okay. I'm half expecting a lot of line-up changes. I couldn't watch the Arsenal match, but I listened to it on the radio, and it sounded like we were spent. I think we might try to rest a few for Saturday, so if that's the case, I won't be expecting much from a heavily-rotated team from an injury-ravaged squad.

I get what you're saying but a draw just doesn't help top 4 ambitions which we need to keep alive. Also Burnley just aren't that good, got battered 4 0 by spurs. 

20 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Is Fofana fit? Yesterday people were saying he's might be but today nobody is putting him in their predicted line up....

Back in full training yesterday after a month out according to Rodgers. Will be a gamble if he picks him

The manager said: “We'll have a look at that, he trained with the group on Monday. It's just about weighing up the risk really.

"He's obviously been out for a period of time with his hamstring so we'll assess it. He looked fantastic in training on Monday.

1 minute ago, supernuk said:

I get what you're saying but a draw just doesn't help top 4 ambitions which we need to keep alive. Also Burnley just aren't that good, got battered 4 0 by spurs. 

I do understand - on a normal day, you've got to be aiming to beat Burnley, especially in the form they're in. I just think we're a bit burnt out at the moment, and that a draw wouldn't be a disaster. A draw wouldn't kill our top 4 ambitions - we can't even drop out of the top 3 in this round of games, whatever happens.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Not sure there's an away ground the has brought so many emotions as Turf Moor in recent years.

2014 - 2-0 win to effectively seal promotion

2015 - Missed pen for them and Vardy scoring within a minute to help us massively in survival.

2019 - Wes Morgan winner in the last minute after playing with 10 men for 85 mins. One of my favourite away games.

First home opponent after the crash too. 

Playing Burnley is usually a turgid, miserable affair at the best of times. Now I'm not discrediting that what they do isn't largely effective, but it's the anthesis of 'the sexy football show'.

With our injury crisis, I'm looking forward to this even less and whilst obviously not obliged to watch, obviously I will be, but it's not a match that I'm glad is being televised.

Be a cracker now :ph34r:

7 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I think this is the sort of game Mendy could be effective in.  He'll have plenty of time in midfield and he can pick an efficient short pass going forward under those circumstances.  If Evans and Fofana are both out I'd plunk Wilf back there and use Mendy in midfield. 

I was thinking that too, it would take some of the workload off Wilf (who has looked tired), and then put him back in midfield for Brighton.

Up until the penalty miss we were good there last season. Pope had a blinder.

They aren't as good as they were, defence isn't as secure but will still cause us problems.

I'd be surprised if we made anything other than enforced changes. If Tavares was to start I reckon it would be alongside Tielemans and Ndidi than instead of them. If Albrighton is going to be on the left then we need a full back who overlaps, Thomas doesn't do this as much so maybe prefer Castagne or Ricardo. 

7 hours ago, filbertway said:

Height isnt the main issue. The fact Rodgers or whoever coaches set pieces has the players stood like statues marking thin air in the main problem. Also we bring everyone back which means the other teams can really load up the box

....I do not understand that, it beggars belief!!!

All that does is encourage the ball coming straight back. You will need to have a player brave enough to pick up the ball on the edge of our area and be prepared to carry it up the pitch with support coming from our wingers.

• Like 1

Just watched their Spurs game highlights and boy did they have a stinker! No closing down at all from them and just let Spurs walk through them

Imagine Dyche will be looking for a much better defensive display and we may come up against a typical Burnley wall and them looking to score from set plays.. aka our two biggest weaknesses! :sweating:

No idea which Leicester are going to show up. Just hope we manage the game well and not give away cheap corners or fouls. 

2 hours ago, Wymsey said:

A draw wouldn't be a disappointment, providing that if we have quite a few attempts (in other words, go for it) and Nick Pope has a top-drawer day.

It will, teams with top four aspirations aren't happy to come away from Burnley with a point.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, supernuk said:

Even amongst our injury woes?

7 hours ago, filbertway said:

Always seems preferable to start the stronger players and get the lead to defend. 

Not always.  t's all about the approach we take to the game. Our recent great victory over Liverpool was delivered by allowing them work hard while we sat tight in the first half. 

Then when they naturally tired second half we hit them with fast slick football. Yes we rode our luck at times first half but that risk was always there.

It was one of the few times I've seen Brendan's tactics really stand out and deliver.

As to Burnley , They are a tough ugly side who can play decent football if allowed. We need to seize control and keep them running, as they have an aging team.

Then heads will drop. We also have to aware of a quick start from them as they will try and hit us early.

We really need to win this and the next two, Which will be difficult with all injuries.

• Like 1