Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Burnley 1-1 LCFC - Post Match Thread

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

the period in the second half where we were losing the possession stat 70/30, showed how we lacked the intensity to press the game. 

we are running on fumes compared to how we want to play ..... we need to get through sat evening and then see how a week off refreshes the screw can put out ......

going three at the back was a clear tactic to counter Burnley’s long balls .......but we could have put Fuchs in there rather than lose wilf from the screening role. Perhaps it was felt dropping wilf in would give him an easier evening in terms of distance covered and also enable us to adjust formation without needing a sub 

Yet as soon as we changed from a defensive formation to a more balanced attacking formation we suddenly started having a lot more of the ball...

Nothing to do with tiredness and everything to do with sending the team out with a defensive mindset.

We gave away an early goal due to an horrendous mistake, scored a class goal of our own, hook the scorer, and were kept in the game by a world class performance from Kasper.

And then Man. U. can only manage a sad 0-0 against relegation fodder. 

What a missed opportunity.

Amartey has come in plenty of times this season and played well. Last night wasn't his best, but apart from Kasper no one particularly played really well, not by our standards this season.

We need players like Amartey, who are (seemingly happy) to be a squad player, to step in when needed but also then happy to slip back onto the bench when we're at full strength. We're not going to be a team where you've got a class replacement who is happy to sit on the bench. Man City are probably the only team that can have that luxury.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, whitlock said:

Amartey has come in plenty of times this season and played well. Last night wasn't his best, but apart from Kasper no one particularly played really well, not by our standards this season.

We need players like Amartey, who are (seemingly happy) to be a squad player, to step in when needed but also then happy to slip back onto the bench when we're at full strength. We're not going to be a team where you've got a class replacement who is happy to sit on the bench. Man City are probably the only team that can have that luxury.

The one thing he’s good at is the one thing he’s in our squad to do - doing a decent job when needed in a few positions. 

It’s like some people think we should have £100k a week brilliant players happy to sit on our bench. Would be great in an ideal world but it ain’t going to happen. 

Happy with a point tbh. If we'd gone a goal up first and they'd been the ones to draw I'd have been livid. Having them go ahead first was pretty much the worse case scenario and we got out of it (unlike Villa). You can see the formation was a Frankenstein's monster for most of the game, really only straightening out a little once Fofana came on and N'didi went back to his more comfortable position. Needs must. We weathered one storm and watched Nacho score a brilliant goal, I'll take that. 

I hope Nacho can get confidence from such a great goal and kick on. Good movement by Vardy but if we can just get him scoring it'll be a god send. We also have to move the ball faster. Getting it to runners asap will help. BR was shouting for them to do it so hopefully they get a bit of time in training to work on it. 

Also happy Villa lost and ManU drew. 

• Like 1

I really hope Choudary is nowhere near the team on Saturday against Brighton.  Genuinely cannot see what he brings to the team.  Has a mistake in him every game, remember the back pass from which Lingard scored for Man Utd, then last night.  He never fills me with any confidence.  Sooner we sell him to Newcastle who whoever the better awful player.

Amartey has done well for us at times this season but last night wasn't one of them. Looked uncomfortable and nervous throughout, particularly on the ball. Needs an easy pass option and to be fair to him he wasn't given much options and they pressed him really well. He wasn't alone though, back 3 all struggled under the pressure of having 2 strikers up against them. 

11 hours ago, Red Squirrel said:

Vardy's legendary status can never be tarnished 

The best player ever to wear the shirt in the club's history

It's a shame we were not able to re-introduce him gradually after his hernia and I agree that he should have a rest, sit on the bench against Brighton until the 65th minute, one Red Bull, a few skittles later he comes on and  bags later winner!!

Legendary status enhanced!

Vardy has every right to power down as he gets older same as every other footballer. Let’s face it we’ve had far more out of him than we have any right to expect. As a player whose speed is an important part of his game, I fully expected him to decline around the age of 31 or 32 at most.

Whether this current drop in form is due to age or because he’s carrying an injury, he deserves our utmost respect and gratitude. Even out of form his presence is still valuable due to his reputation and consequent effect on the opposition.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

They are notoriously a bunch of gamekillers and cavemen, but I thought that Dyche played some really positive football yesterday, particularly in the first 15 minutes of the second half, when they really went for us. Not as suggested on here, by simply pinging in crosses and lobbing over the top to a single target man in Wood, but they were clearly encouraged to shoot, to run at our defence and they also played some nice through balls from MF in the process. They very much highlighted our frailty and vulnerability at the moment - and you're, right, Burnley can be an awkward proposition. Brighton likewise. 

I agree with this. It's the first team in recent memory I can remember playing Burnley where they took the game by the scruff of the neck and went for the win. Yes they are direct but who cares, it's about mindset, rather have a team committing 7/8 forwards and pumping balls in than a Wolves / Palace style pacy 1 up front with all others camped in own half chasing balls over the top. Fair play, Burnley and Dyche, they deserved their point yesterday.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Amartey is dreadful. He’s probably a cracking bloke, but is is seriously a dreadful footballer, he can’t pass, he can’t tackle, he can’t take an adequate throw in and he can barely run. He is most definitely one of the worst player to Grace the shirt.

Not commenting on whether he is a good footballer or not, but he definitely doesn’t seem unpleasant, quite the opposite.

7 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Amartey is dreadful. He’s probably a cracking bloke, but is is seriously a dreadful footballer, he can’t pass, he can’t tackle, he can’t take an adequate throw in and he can barely run. He is most definitely one of the worst player to Grace the shirt.

Sure thing mate. He's not my favorite player but he's an alright backup. Find someone else better to sit on the bench. Some people on here are just negative regardless of what happens.. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

I don't know how people coped when we really were shit. 

We're not allowed to remind ourselves of how crap we often were because, for some fans, we should only be judged on where we are right now and longer term perspective is frowned upon.

Pre social media you'd have a quick whinge on the way out of the stadium or down the pub and that was that pretty much.

It wasn't obsessed over in the same way as it is now.

7 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

It's easy to over analyse last night. Put simply, it was an unfamiliar XI, and it showed. Next! 

Agreed. Good mentality HPF!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

We're not allowed to remind ourselves of how crap we often were because, for some fans, we should only be judged on where we are right now and longer term perspective is frowned upon.

Pre social media you'd have a quick whinge on the way out of the stadium or down the pub and that was that pretty much.

I guess this is indicative of the instant culture we are now surrounded by. People don't like historical context if it doesn't fit their argument (and then they use it wrongly when it does - referencing WW2, which they didn't experience, for example).

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Well, yeah. What's the point in saying "we used to be this bad or here in the table"? We were once in League One so should we accept being bottom of the Premier League? This sort of thing doesn't sit with me.

Plus the whole thing of fans of club A (like us) moaning because "we're only 4th" and you'll get club B (Forest fans for example) saying how we don't appreciate it but then club C (Notts County) will be saying how Forest don't appreciate being 17th in the Championship. The football pyramid changes all the time and history should have no bearing on where a club is in the present day.

Before social media people would moan but you wouldn't see it. Same as forums really. This forum was only new/starting out around 2004-2005-2006 etc when we were bad. People have always moaned, and at times rightly so. But I guess people are different. For me I don't lay in bed and worry we've not beaten Burnley, I'm thinking about the next game. We can only do our bit, we don't have any control of other clubs performances (ie Spurs tonight).

6 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

What's the point in saying "we used to be this bad or here in the table"? We were once in League One so should we accept being bottom of the Premier League? This sort of thing doesn't sit with me.

Nobody is saying we should blindly accept bad things.

However, simply dismissing the journey we've been on (as many do) is IMHO wrong too.

We've been in the top 5 for 18 months, and in the top 4 all this season, which for a club like ours, and given our history of not exactly setting the world alight, is beyond my expectations.

I want us to be high up the table every season but also have plenty of realism given 40 years of watching LCFC.

• Like 1

I think perspective is important not just in football, but in life in general. If people dismiss where they came from or what they had to do to get somewhere, then it is more often than not, a recipe for negativity. 

I'm all for criticising the team and the manager, and do it often, but I always think it helps to have that grounded in perspective. Each to their own though! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Same Man U that lost to Burnley, Newcastle, C.Palace, Watford last year.

No getting 4 less points was the reason, irrelevant where they come from. 

No, same Man Utd that got Champions League Football.

:schmike:

7 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

FT logic - if our keeper makes great saves, that's somehow lucky, and we should have been 4 down. If we hit the post/their keeper makes saves/ a shot gets deflected just wide/similar, that doesn't count it's down to bad finishing.

As has been said many times (but it's always met with deafening silence), nobody sensible is suggesting that criticism is a bad thing. What many of us do say is that a small number of people seem to think that saying that 'player x should be taken out and shot' (or words to that effect) is criticism, when it is basically just (at best) venting. The call for perspective (as well as calm) is to try and take the heat out of some of the more verbose and colourful slagging - reasoned criticism I always read, whether I agree with it or not.