Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Burnley 1-1 LCFC - Post Match Thread

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The problem with Amartey is he's abysmal at keeping it simple as much as going forward and creating anything, fine examples in the 1st half today where he was a liability making simple passes. 

I could tolerate him being limited at going forward if he provided us the security of being an excellent defensive full back but he's neither. He should only ever play as a centre half in a back 4 and not asked to pass the ball much.

When Amartey was right centre back he was left on his own because Ricardo was all over the place

42 minutes ago, Halifax Fox said:

Seventy years old. Lifelong supporter.

Was as excited before the game tonight as I was at my first ever visit to Filbert Street, 23rd March 1963 2-2 draw against Spurs.

Watched the game tonight - without the sound after about 10 minutes because I was worried for my health and sanity. (Most commentators wind me up.)
I enjoyed the rest of the game! (Steered clear of FT!) Was desperate for Hamza to do well after his mistake. Kasper kept us in it. We were a threat throughout (almost). We could have won it. Little Wes looked fantastic when he came on. Amazing strike from Kelechi. Could not ask more from these boys. Get behind ALL of our players.
Next up Brighton COYF :scarf:

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Great result given the circumstances.   Really enjoyed the latter part of the second half where we were very unlucky. Great tones little Wes bank in the fold. Common Boys we can do this. 

• Like 1

Considering this is the season from hell in terms of freqency of games and sheer numbers of injuries, and the team (like every other team except City Dhabi) is looking knackered that was a good point. United drawing with a rubbish Palace when they have no injuries to speak of shows how everyone is flagging in terms of quality of football and intensity.

• Like 3

The bizarre thing about earlier was that we actually had the players to put out a much better formation than we did. It's as if Rodgers went out of his way to complicate things creating this back 3 with Ndidi out of position. 

I took one look at the line up and thought "hmmm this doesn't look right Ndidi, Choudhury, Mendy and Amartay all in a little square almost and then literally moments later it's as if my mind was saying "told you so" 

Rodgers doesn't half do some mad shit sometimes. He's always happy to tell us his thoughts when things goes well, you get a running breakdown of his tweaks and his thought process when we win or he changes something at HT and it pays off....  but why the hell did he play that formation tonight I'll never know... 

I hope he learns from it. 

50 minutes ago, Foxaholic ME said:

Why the hate for Burnley and Dyche considering their population and resources they are a credit how many of the Premier league managers would do as well as Dyche at Burnley Virtually every pundit agrees with this view

ha ha im sure there is not just me :)  it could be that he is always whinging about money and  oh the player that scored for them is worth more than our entire team. i just dont like the bloke or his personality. 

4 minutes ago, Bezzanator89 said:

To be honest, I was a bit of a negative nellie tonight and was sure we'd lose tonight. Glad I was wrong.

Vardy, in simple terms looks physically fuched. Rest the man for goodness sake before he really starts to tarnish his legendary status here.

Vardy will never, ever tarnish any status with us.

But agree the man needs a rest..

• Like 1

Also we had the perfect opportunity to play a back 4 with:

Ricardo, Amartey, Soyuncu, Castagne

But giving Ricardo and Castange the freedom to bomb forward with Wilf dropping in to make a back 3 when needed. 

Wilf would then be back in his usual role when we reset. 

We could have then had Tielemans next to Wilf and not needed either Choudhury or Mendy at all and played Albrighton and Taveres/Under  instead. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, NasPb said:

There's no pleasing you lot, amartey isn't an attacking player and you still complain. Amartey could save your family from a burning house and you'd still complain. 

He's no world beater but he's decent 

You seen any of Pliskins posts recently? All he's done is fvcking whinge all evening.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Also we had the perfect opportunity to play a back 4 with:

Ricardo, Amartey, Soyuncu, Castagne

But giving Ricardo and Castange the freedom to bomb forward with Wilf dropping in to make a back 3 when needed. 

Wilf would then be back in his usual role when we reset. 

We could have then had Tielemans next to Wilf and not needed either Choudhury or Mendy at all and played Albrighton and Taveres/Under  instead. 

I agree with this. I feel that we know our best formation is a 4231 with Wilf and Youri besides each other so we should just be playing that system with the players available. Yes we have an injury crisis but we do have some decent players available. Under and Albrighton on the wings. Tavares in the Maddison position and Amartey at the back. The rest of the team is very strong and I have no doubt the players I listed can do a job.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bezzanator89 said:

To be honest, I was a bit of a negative nellie tonight and was sure we'd lose tonight. Glad I was wrong.

Vardy, in simple terms looks physically fuched. Rest the man for goodness sake before he really starts to tarnish his legendary status here.

Vardy's legendary status can never be tarnished 

The best player ever to wear the shirt in the club's history

It's a shame we were not able to re-introduce him gradually after his hernia and I agree that he should have a rest, sit on the bench against Brighton until the 65th minute, one Red Bull, a few skittles later he comes on and  bags later winner!!

Legendary status enhanced!

• Like 1

Guest Fktf
3 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

I agree with this. I feel that we know our best formation is a 4231 with Wilf and Youri besides each other so we should just be playing that system with the players available. Yes we have an injury crisis but we do have some decent players available. Under and Albrighton on the wings. Tavares in the Maddison position and Amartey at the back. The rest of the team is very strong and I have no doubt the players I listed can do a job.

Yup. Play ndidi and Youri next to each other, and work it out from there in terms of the rest of the fit players making a 4231 or 343. Those two at the base if mid are about the most vital component of our philosophy 

2 minutes ago, Fktf said:

Yup. Play ndidi and Youri next to each other, and work it out from there in terms of the rest of the fit players making a 4231 or 343. Those two at the base if mid are about the most vital component of our philosophy 

Yeah the most important thing is the system. We just seem to be a completely different side in the 4231. Then just fit the players available around that. (providing wilf and youri are fit). Also no putting square pegs into round wholes just play players in their natural positions in that formation even if it means a youngster or two filling in for a few week.s

Edited by peach0000

I'm on a complete high after that match. The optimism is flowing through me. We tied and didn't lose. Fofana looked like he didn't miss a beat and Tavares feels like the future......and that world class finish from Iheanacho was amazing. Can't wait to see who next can impress from the squad.

4 hours ago, TrentFox said:

I can’t be the only one that enjoyed that, surely? I thought our makeshift team did well and showed real spirit and played some good football. I’d have clapped them off and enjoyed my drive home if I’d been there. 

4 hours ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Whilst a win would have been brilliant, the point could yet be crucial. Better than defeat and what would have been a fatal blow to top 4 ambitions in my opinion. 

Little Wes back is good news. Some more game time for Timmy and Riccy. Nacho scored. Kasper superb stops. 

2 hours ago, Milo said:

A number of first teamers missing, most of the rest out of form.

And Burnley are fvcking horrible to play against.

So a point gained rather than two dropped for me.

Great points.

2 hours ago, sm1 said:

We needed a goal to win the game, so he takes off Nacho and puts on Albrighton. It's like not losing is the priority, as opposed to winning. 

I thought we looked more threatening when Albrighton came on. He was very lively.

1 hour ago, Halifax Fox said:

Seventy years old. Lifelong supporter.

Was as excited before the game tonight as I was at my first ever visit to Filbert Street, 23rd March 1963 2-2 draw against Spurs.

Watched the game tonight - without the sound after about 10 minutes because I was worried for my health and sanity. (Most commentators wind me up.)
I enjoyed the rest of the game! (Steered clear of FT!) Was desperate for Hamza to do well after his mistake. Kasper kept us in it. We were a threat throughout (almost). We could have won it. Little Wes looked fantastic when he came on. Amazing strike from Kelechi. Could not ask more from these boys. Get behind ALL of our players.
Next up Brighton COYF :scarf:

What a post @Halifax Fox Wish I could rep it more than once. :appl:

• Like 1

Ugly draw, with Burnley probably unlucky not to get the win. Thought they played well. Not surprising considering our injury problems and I’d probably have taken it before the match. Kasper MOTM easily, no one else really stands out for me though Marc livened things up a bit when he came on.

Just so many players out there whose first instinct is to pass it backwards or sideways. Not having the quality to play out from the back, but trying it anyway. How could we have so many defensively minded players on the pitch and still look fragile in defence? They looked as if they could score whenever they put a cross in, and that was frequently as we seemed unable to cut them out.

Passing and ball retention were atrocious, particularly in the second half.

Lets hope we can put something a bit more creative and attacking together for the next couple of matches. Didn’t really see enough of Tavares to see whether he might be the answer, but somehow I doubt it.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

8 hours ago, adejo92 said:

Kasper

Ricardo   ________  Soyunchu   Thomas

Albrighton     Youri   Ndidi    Castagne

Vardy        Nacho

When you say 'EIGHT' players, I think it's a poor excuse given the players still available if we would have set up to actually take 3 points.

There's only one space there than I can't fill. When you look at the players on that team sheet, they have to be beating Burnley surely?

And you use our 'Out of form' striker as another excuse yet Burnley sit 15th with a team of 11 out of form / sh1t players.....

I get injuries are really bad but are we just going to use that as an excuse for every fixture despite still having quality players available? We'll be more annoying than Liverpool.

It’s not excuses though. On paper maybe but that’s now how it works. We’re missing our two biggest game changers as well. It’s a very disjointed team that won’t have played often together in the league. A different shape to normal. We’ve played a lot of games since the turn of the year with very little rest for other players too. 

6 hours ago, Peterorange said:

Considering this is the season from hell in terms of freqency of games and sheer numbers of injuries, and the team (like every other team except City Dhabi) is looking knackered that was a good point. United drawing with a rubbish Palace when they have no injuries to speak of shows how everyone is flagging in terms of quality of football and intensity.

Thank God someone with some perspective. People need to start to realise there are going to be a lot of tough times ahead for all teams bar one for the rest of the season. As well as the crazy fixture list and sides like us suffering ridiculous numbers of injuries there's also the psychology of playing in front of empty stadiums. I wonder as players get tired towards the end of the season how much this will affect things. How much extra lift can you get from crowd support when you are feeling shattered?

Last night is a good example of how things are. I wonder who thinks they did best last night? Villa, who lost to 10 man Sheffield United, Man Utd who played out a very dull 0-0 against Palace, a match even worse than ours, or us who got a draw at Burnley?

Last night I didn't see a team that was throwing in the towel in pursuit of a top 4 finish. I saw a team that put in a decent effort but was lacking those better players who make us a top 4 team. If people expect a different approach against Brighton then possibly it would be best not to watch the match. Maybe by Sheffield United we will be slightly better off in terms of injuries.

We're basically playing a ten game season now with it all to play for.

• Like 2

Bailed out by some world class saves by Schmeichel, but going forward you could tell we were missing the directness of Barnes and the vision of Madders.

We looked better once Ndidi moved to the midfield. We were completely overrun in the middle in first 20 mins of the 2nd half and couldn't get a foothold on the game.

Vardy needed to be subbed off instead of Iheanacho IMO.