Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Royal Family

46 minutes ago, FerrisBueller said:

I can’t see the video posted below due to location restrictions but I’m presuming it catches the gist of what I’m getting at.

Not really quite the opposite, but I am intrigued to why you think that.

1 minute ago, purpleronnie said:

Not really quite the opposite, but I am intrigued to why you think that.

I don’t think that at all, I was poking fun at the ‘anti-woke’ sentiment that’s prevalent in people who sarcastically say things like ‘not diverse enough’ etc.

Not aimed at you.

The village where i live, are having a BBQ and open bar on the village green on Sunday. Quite looking forward to it, bring along a picnic and get to chat with neighbours and people who live nearby that i should know and actually dont. 

Sad part is it looks like its going to rain though :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

The village where i live, are having a BBQ and open bar on the village green on Sunday. Quite looking forward to it, bring along a picnic and get to chat with neighbours and people who live nearby that i should know and actually dont. 

Sad part is it looks like its going to rain though :(

The village near where I live is doing the same... except the open bar is a free bar, but only to those locals who have been given a loyalty card who support the pub.

Those without a loyalty card will not be given free beer.

So there will be a divide on the green between drunk people and people who are there with families for free strawberries, coffee, cake and a raffle. The beer tent will be pitched in the garden of a local which overlooks the village green.

This is so anybody complaining about people drinking in a public place are thwarted by drunken people sitting on a wall inside private property. To add to all this, the landlord has applied for planning to turn all or part of the pub into two cottages as a change of use as he’s not supported enough by the whole village - this will come out next week and notices will go up.

At this juncture the locals who do use the pub will turn on him as they won’t want to see a pub that’s been there 200 years go because he hasn’t managed to make a success of it.

All a bit political.

Can’t see me going on Sunday! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nick said:

The village near where I live is doing the same... except the open bar is a free bar, but only to those locals who have been given a loyalty card who support the pub.

So there will be a divide on the green between drunk people and people who are there with families for free strawberries, coffee, cake and a raffle. The beer tent will be pitched in the garden of a local which overlooks the village green.

This is so anybody complaining about people drinking in a public place are thwarted by drunken people sitting on a wall inside private property. To add to all this, the landlord has applied for planning to turn all or part of the pub into two cottages as a change of use as he’s not supported enough by the whole village - this will come out next week and notices will go up.

At this juncture the locals who do use the pub will turn on him as they won’t want to see a pub that’s been there 200 years go because he hasn’t managed to make a success of it.

All a bit political.

This account is a microcosm of modern Britain (or it might be an allegory - I can’t decide )

34 minutes ago, surrifox said:

This account is a microcosm of modern Britain (or it might be an allegory - I can’t decide )

Isn't it! Sort of an Orwellian Animal Farm narrative with all the undertones of revolution and betrayal!

• Like 1

I'm on board with the Queen and, to a lesser extent, Charles but that's it. When she goes, I'd be quite happy for the rest of them to do so as well. Open up the Palaces to tourism and make them hotels for rich Chinese and Americans to pump some cash into the British kitty.

The last few years with Andrew, Harry, the lesser ones all coming out and desperately clinging to relevance - they've had their day. If we absolutely have to have them, they keep it a slim royal family and they do the job.

Of course, that raises the question are you essentially creating well paid servants? I can imagine being a royal is fairly rubbish, so nobody really wins. 

1 hour ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Not a royalist but they’re not all bad 

1133A891-784C-4F56-80FE-934DD6ED6625.thumb.jpeg.3deea4876f3248d633c8b36980f33cf3.jpeg

This is ridiculous and quite clearly photoshopped. Because in the original, she's wearing the 2008 - 2009 'Topps Tiles' sponsored Jako yellow away shirt. (Obviously part of a substantial private collection).

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

I'm on board with the Queen and, to a lesser extent, Charles but that's it. When she goes, I'd be quite happy for the rest of them to do so as well. Open up the Palaces to tourism and make them hotels for rich Chinese and Americans to pump some cash into the British kitty.

The last few years with Andrew, Harry, the lesser ones all coming out and desperately clinging to relevance - they've had their day. If we absolutely have to have them, they keep it a slim royal family and they do the job.

Of course, that raises the question are you essentially creating well paid servants? I can imagine being a royal is fairly rubbish, so nobody really wins. 

The Palaces are already open to tourism no?  Guess there might be one or two that don't open.  Charles agrees with you completely on the slimmed down Royal family, hence why only Williams kids will be part of it to any extent.

56 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

The Palaces are already open to tourism no?  Guess there might be one or two that don't open.  Charles agrees with you completely on the slimmed down Royal family, hence why only Williams kids will be part of it to any extent.

I mean full tourism. Hotels. Charge a fortune. £500-1000 a night. Maybe more. Imagine the money it would bring in to local areas. At the very least, it'd fix a few potholes. 

10 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Just a small reminder that the Windsors are in actual fact a German family called Saxe-Coburg. 

Never ceases to amaze me how the same people who love them wanted us out of Europe with the Germans dictating things 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nick said:

All a bit political.

We have exactly the same in our village, the pub was not supported by the locals and the woman who owned it rented it out to tenant landlords. Sadly she kept hiking the rent up, until it just wasn't a viable business anymore. The pub has now been vacant for a couple of years and looks a total eye-sore with the car-park overgrown and the property decaying. 

On the bright side she has now sold the property and the land and the guy who lives next door to the pub is in the process of buying it. On completion it is to be knocked down and a few houses will be built on the land. He then intends to move into one of the houses and turn his cottage into a new pub. All sounds a bit weird but it will make a hell of a difference to the village to have a pub again and not some 1900 building that would look better stuck in the middle of some Leicester estate (sorry if that sounds snobby, but its an awful building, not a country village pub.)

The village is Thorpe Satchville if anyone is interested.  

Thanks for the days off but really couldn't give two shits about the royal aspect. 

Be interesting to see the already horrific levels of driving nosedive even further with the amount of pissed up drivers behind the wheel. 

3 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

The thing I do like about the monarch is the control over the armed forces and that, I do agree it needs to be streamlined abit.

20 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Just a small reminder that the Windsors are in actual fact a German family called Saxe-Coburg. 

Their ancestors are German. Doesn't mean they are a "German family". Saying that people who were born and raised in Britain are German, just because their great great grandfather was German, is a tad problematic, as the kids these days would say. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, bovril said:

Their ancestors are German. Doesn't mean they are a "German family". Saying that people who were born and raised in Britain are German, just because their great great grandfather was German, is a tad problematic, as the kids these days would say. 

And social media loves to stir up allegations of Nazi sympathies from the unfortunate events surrounding Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson and the fact that Phillip's elder sisters married into the party in spite of the fact that he is mentioned in despatches for his bravery fighting against Nazi Germany as a naval officer in WWII ffs.

Suggestions that any affiliation has endured are of course utterly absurd. 

ExQnIyQW8AAKWTL.thumb.jpg.986089adba590f6240ab23820a7c6f80.jpg