Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Les-TA-Jon

2020/21 - The Run In and Top 4 chances - an Ongoing Analysis

I just hope the players were not thinking they’d beat a team low in the league easily... surely we learned the hard way last year about maintaining concentration. On Fridays evidence (and against Fulham et al at home) clearly not. We’ve got 4 huge games now, and we need to play at 100% for every minute of them if we are to get CL qualification now.

Edited by car1os

2 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Quite simply if we can't win 2 of our 3 final league games against the so-called Big 6 teams, then quite frankly we don't deserve to be in the Top 4. Simple as. 

Can’t tell if this is sarcasm or just a stupid comment 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

At the end of the day, it's basic and simple, we have only ourselves to blame. We put ourselves in a position to easily get 3rd or 4th, and we have made it difficult for ourselves. Saints with ten men and 17th place Newcastle at home was asking for 6 points. We got 1. Other teams winning or losing shouldn't have mattered. It's tempting to say its still a good season, to mix it at the top again and get to a cup final, but to blow top 4 after being there all season 2 years in a row would be pretty embarrassing and a serious problem. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Why is it stupid in your opinion? Or you just a gob? 

Because we’ve already beaten all the ‘top six teams’ so far apart from Man U ....to say we have to beat one of Chelsea or Spurs twice to warrant a top 4 finish is a bit strange ???

2 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Why is it stupid in your opinion? Or you just a gob? 

It's not a stupid opinion, but it's just quite simply not as clear-cut as that.

By the same token, we've also beaten teams around us this season. So does that count for nothing?

Arguably the games coming up are more important because of where we find ourselves, but I also can't agree with how the thinking that 'if we don't win the next 3, we don't deserve top 4'

If we finish in the top 4, we deserve it because of all the results and points gained throughout the season. Saying if we can't win any of the next 3 means we don't deserve top 4 is far too basic in my humble opinion.

2 minutes ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

At the end of the day, it's basic and simple, we have only ourselves to blame. We put ourselves in a position to easily get 3rd or 4th, and we have made it difficult for ourselves. Saints with ten men and 17th place Newcastle at home was asking for 6 points. We got 1. Other teams winning or losing shouldn't have mattered. It's tempting to say its still a good season, to mix it at the top again and get to a cup final, but to blow top 4 after being there all season 2 years in a row would be pretty embarrassing and a serious problem. 

Great point. 

We have 50% of people on here saying 'it's still in our hands' .....well that for me is exactly the issue. Every time it's in our hands we shit the bed. We are now in the realm of a pretty good west ham team losing to an awful Everton team. 

Embarrassing. Yes. A problem....maybe. But equally... regularly breaking the top 6 is a fantastic achievement. 

7 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Ok so it was a serious comment then. Interesting

Yes, serious. To be in the Top 4 you need to be better across the season than 16 others and that means beating those in the so-called Big 6 too to do so and I know we have to date in previous games. I realise our form has dipped badly but let's be straight, if we are genuine about being consistently in the Top 4, then this limping across the line and relying on others to slip up now is somewhat pathetic. It is in our hands. Win the games we have left and prove we deserve to be there. If we lose them and fall out of the Top 4 as a result, we will get what we deserve. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd

1 minute ago, Eskay said:

Great point. 

We have 50% of people on here saying 'it's still in our hands' .....well that for me is exactly the issue. Every time it's in our hands we shit the bed. We are now in the realm of a pretty good west ham team losing to an awful Everton team. 

Embarrassing. Yes. A problem....maybe. But equally... regularly breaking the top 6 is a fantastic achievement. 

True, but we still have time to get the sheets in the washing machine and then the tumble dryer and back on the bed before the other half gets home from work 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mike Oxlong said:

True, but we still have time to get the sheets in the washing machine and then the tumble dryer and back on the bed before the other half gets home from work 

Very true. 

Seen little evidence of that so far. Last season was the same. Even on the last day against United that performance was so average it hurt. 

I'm not expecting top 4. I'm not expecting the fa cup. I am hoping that we fight. Like seriously fight and put the yards in to give our best shot. Just some bloody effort. I didn't see that against Newcastle until the last 10 mins. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Yes, serious. To be in the Top 4 you need to be better across the season than 16 others and that means beating those in the so-called Big 6 too to do so and I know we have to date in previous games. I realise our form has dipped badly but let's be straight, if we are genuine about being consistently in the Top 4, then this limping across the line and relying on others to slip up now is somewhat pathetic. It is in our hands. Win the games we have left and prove we deserve to be there. If we lose them and fall out of the Top 4 as a result, we will get what we deserve. 

But hypothetically, we might drop points in the next 3 and so might others. Just the way this season has been. And we could still finish top 4...?

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

By the same token, we've also beaten teams around us this season. So does that count for nothing?

Arguably the games coming up are more important because of where we find ourselves, but I also can't agree with how the thinking that 'if we don't win the next 3, we don't deserve top 4'

If we finish in the top 4, we deserve it because of all the results and points gained throughout the season. Saying if we can't win any of the next 3 means we don't deserve top 4 is far too basic in my humble opinion.

Fair points. To get it now we have to win the games we have left or at least 2 I suspect. That will prove we deserve it over the season. It is in our hands. I am hoping as much as anyone else that other results go our way too. But let's do it by winning those games which is the only guarantee. 

Just now, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Fair points. To get it now we have to win the games we have left or at least 2 I suspect. That will prove we deserve it over the season. It is in our hands. I am hoping as much as anyone else that other results go our way too. But let's do it by winning those games which is the only guarantee. 

I agree with the last bits. The fact we have points on the board as opposed to being the ones chasing is the better position to be in. We shouldn't rely on other teams but from a fan's perspective, it's purely natural to see what teams around us do and where they gain/drop points.

For what it's worth, I think we win against Spurs, draw against Man Utd and lose against Chelsea. I think that'll be enough. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Chelsea is the hardest game left, Man utd probably heavy rotation by them, and spurs hopefully on the beach.

Even if Spurs have nothing to play for they will be up for the game against us. They still have a lot of players who will be sore about 2015/16 and therefore up for ruining our CL dream.

14 minutes ago, StanSP said:

You’re not allowed to just randomly change your avatar, I’m not comfortable with it Stan. Sort it out mate.

12 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Agree with what you’ve just said, but that’s a different point than what you made initially hence why I disagreed 👍 but nevermind

7 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

You’re not allowed to just randomly change your avatar, I’m not comfortable with it Stan. Sort it out mate.

What's done is done. It remains!

Also, instead of actually swearing at anyone that pisses me off, I can just say 'look at my avatar'. They can't not look. Job done.

Edited by StanSP
  • Haha 1