Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Les-TA-Jon

2020/21 - The Run In and Top 4 chances - an Ongoing Analysis

22 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

I definatly don't.

I haven't even got the bottle to watch on Tuesday.

I'm playing Tueday evening and I'll walk off the pitch and look at my phone and hope.

It's a lot less stressful.

(notice how I spelt definatly)

Even Buckles put an 'e' in it!

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

People say that football is their religion but its nothing like having a faith. Being religious you always believe that things will be OK and yet with football you are waiting for them to let you down. Unless you've cherry picked who you support but even then it's no guarantee there won't be a lot of heartache.

You ain't telling me that religious folk sling 8 pints down them before church and then start kicking off at the choir and vicar when the service is shit. No they all potter about really happy and content and go home for a modest serving of quiche and a tea. 

Football is torture, its horrendous, its fcukin brilliant. This club will let us down, but we'll also let them down because of what it stirs inside us. This isn't a faith, its a tribal battle. 2 weeks to not have our summers ruined and the missus and kids have a disinterested 37 year old baby moping about the house.

Sort it Leicester and I'll forever believe.

Excellently worded. 

It affects me way more than it should and has a real bearing on my mood throughout the week. Logically I know that's ridiculous but it's certainly not through my own choice. It's like if you look at where we are this season, without emotion it looks fantastic but at the moment it's just feels like we're gonna blow it which will be a massive disappointment. 

I suppose the day it stops affecting my moods is the day I no longer care

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Excellently worded. 

It affects me way more than it should and has a real bearing on my mood throughout the week. Logically I know that's ridiculous but it's certainly not through my own choice. It's like if you look at where we are this season, without emotion it looks fantastic but at the moment it's just feels like we're gonna blow it which will be a massive disappointment. 

It's making me worse the older I get. Those title winning campaigns of 2013/14 and 2015/16 were a mental roller coaster but because they ended in success and looking back there weren't really any crisis points in those final parts of the season it has made being in situations like this quite hard to remain rational. It's torture, I'm obsessed. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

People say that football is their religion but its nothing like having a faith. Being religious you always believe that things will be OK and yet with football you are waiting for them to let you down. Unless you've cherry picked who you support but even then it's no guarantee there won't be a lot of heartache.

You ain't telling me that religious folk sling 8 pints down them before church and then start kicking off at the choir and vicar when the service is shit. No they all potter about really happy and content and go home for a modest serving of quiche and a tea. 

Football is torture, its horrendous, its fcukin brilliant. This club will let us down, but we'll also let them down because of what it stirs inside us. This isn't a faith, its a tribal battle. 2 weeks to not have our summers ruined and the missus and kids have a disinterested 37 year old baby moping about the house.

If this ain't getting you repping Flair's quest for 1k I don't know what will. 

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

It's making me worse the older I get. Those title winning campaigns of 2013/14 and 2015/16 were a mental roller coaster but because they ended in success and looking back there weren't really any crisis points in those final parts of the season it has made being in situations like this quite hard to remain rational. It's torture, I'm obsessed. 

My old man had to go for a walk post Newcastle - never ever known him that bad 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't feel like we've had a rest season in the last 10 years or so! Certainly not boring supporting the blue army 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Ric, you manage to combine the mania we all suffer with an awareness rare in someone so consumed by it all - I guess you just described addiction. I was about to comment on someone else similarly eaten up by it, but thought better of it, as he doesn't have your self-awareness and I decided it would come over badly. I can agree that we're all suffering in our own ways right now, and leave it at that.

• Like 1

I think if we win tomorrow it’s done. Big if though. Expect us to get beat even with a utd second or third string team. Hope for the best but expect the worst with this group of lads. Once we and Brendan get to 60 points they just shit themselves haha. 

Id be utterly gobsmacked if we went to utd and showed any form of guts, positive intent or fight but I’ll still be watching. Pray to god that the lads can come out and prove us all wrong. It really is the hope that kills you!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Ric, you manage to combine the mania we all suffer with an awareness rare in someone so consumed by it all - I guess you just described addiction. I was about to comment on someone else similarly eaten up by it, but thought better of it, as he doesn't have your self-awareness and I decided it would come over badly. I can agree that we're all suffering in our own ways right now, and leave it at that.

Haha thanks. I think it's my awareness as a compulsive gambler how all consuming being a football fan can be. It's not being in control that makes it so terrifying and painful. Being at the games has a small sense of being closer to being able to evoke a response or reaction to what's unfolding but stuck at home gagged and bound with only this forum, social media and the poor wife and kids to listen to the animal instincts. 

These next 2 weeks will be white knuckle. I think I've a slither of diazepam left over for a rainy day...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Haha thanks. I think it's my awareness as a compulsive gambler how all consuming being a football fan can be. It's not being in control that makes it so terrifying and painful. Being at the games has a small sense of being closer to being able to evoke a response or reaction to what's unfolding but stuck at home gagged and bound with only this forum, social media and the poor wife and kids to listen to the animal instincts. 

These next 2 weeks will be white knuckle. I think I've a slither of diazepam left over for a rainy day...

Yes, I thought I recognised a fellow compulsive gambler - I'm the reformed version but it never goes away. The highs are never quite so high, but the lows not quite so crushing these days.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Excellently worded. 

I never realised how bad I had football anxiety until the first lockdown when the league was suspended.

I genuinely felt like a different person lol 

You wouldn't change it for the world though.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's not being in control that makes it so terrifying and painful. Being at the games has a small sense of being closer to being able to evoke a response or reaction to what's unfolding but stuck at home gagged and bound with only this forum, social media and the poor wife and kids to listen to the animal instincts. 

This is what has made this last 14 months hell in terms of being a football man.

Going to the games is a relief. Watching the games on television is just pure agony.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'll be 3 years gamble free on the 26th May, still early days but I'll move heaven and earth to never let my guard down and succumb. Hideously complex addiction, but there's a path out.

Absolutely brilliant - you know the mantra, no doubt. I've been free of it since 1988, so it can be done. It brings all sorts of nasty side-effects and echoes, but at least I'm no longer hurting myself that way. 

Now I write that, I perhaps understand why I find some entries here so hard to take - the self-harm some people are doing right now is tough to read, and I'm not a fan of having it inflicted on the rest of us. Sadly, it goes on in the world the whole time, not just here.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

This is what has made this last 14 months hell in terms of being a football man.

Going to the games is a relief. Watching the games on television is just pure agony.

Bang on. I’m hating this watching at home alone, wife banished to the bedroom, whilst I mute the sound after five mins because of my paranoia that all the Sky team in particular want us beat. At least surrounding myself with people with my own feelings at the ground or even in a pub makes the match less stressful. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Id be utterly gobsmacked if we went to utd and showed any form of guts, positive intent or fight but I’ll still be watching. Pray to god that the lads can come out and prove us all wrong. It really is the hope that kills you!

Time to “cry havoc and unleash the dogs of war“ again 

12 minutes ago, OrielCaziado said:

Bang on. I’m hating this watching at home alone, wife banished to the bedroom, whilst I mute the sound after five mins because of my paranoia that all the Sky team in particular want us beat. At least surrounding myself with people with my own feelings at the ground or even in a pub makes the match less stressful. 

When the sound was ahead of the pictures in the WBA match I watched on mute and it was a lot more relaxing.

Next step is to watch with the TV off altogether for the ultimate relaxing experience.

Edited by Ricey
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ricey said:

I find if I've been at a match and it's not gone well, I'm partially over it by the time I get home. There is something about the collective experience of being there and being able to vent your frustrations alongside other fans that is very cathartic. Also, even if we've lost, I've no doubt still enjoyed going to match in some way.

Watching on TV is hell. I get twice as nervous and worked up during the match and I can't shake the disappointment afterwards. Just feels like an endless cycle of nerves and tension. I've seen that "Most goals in the final 15 minutes of matches" caption more times than I've seen my own family in the last year.

Yep. I think a big part of that is that you can scream, shout and stomp your feet to let it out of your system at a game. I can whinge about it to my mates in the pub after and by the time i'm home I have all but forgotten.

Can't exactly do all that in the front room lol 

55 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

You ain't telling me that religious folk sling 8 pints down them before church and then start kicking off at the choir and vicar when the service is shit.

This is the best thing I will read today and it's not even 10am.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'll be 3 years gamble free on the 26th May, still early days but I'll move heaven and earth to never let my guard down and succumb. Hideously complex addiction, but there's a path out.

Very well done to both of you. My best mates wife is an emergency line counsellor for gambling addicts. I’ve heard tales of men weeping on the phone on Xmas day, as whilst the kids are opening presents, what they don’t know is that their house is about to be repossessed, etc., etc., 

I’ve enjoyed the rush too and easy wins were always followed by losses. As were chased losses. Meaning is better sought elsewhere than chasing euphoria, which is always short lived. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, OrielCaziado said:

I’m finding it the opposite to be fair. I mean, it consumes my whole life whether I’m there or not but If I don’t have a skinful at the footy I get so nervous. 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I tell you what though. It's nice to have the passion back. In that 16/17 season I didn't really feel anything at all for a good 6 months and was worried that following Leicester had been ruined by the title win.

Ranieri losing his head and ripping Pearsons back room structure up like Peter Taylor on coke helped stoke the fire again and it's been burning strong since :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

lol This sounds like a great idea for a sketch.

• Haha 1