Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Les-TA-Jon

2020/21 - The Run In and Top 4 chances - an Ongoing Analysis

1 minute ago, Fox 4 Life said:

Its over, everyone else has an easy run in, we ****ed ourselves, bottle jobs 

Technically, we had an “easy” run for the last 4 games and picked up 7 points.

One of those opponents in those easy games just happened to score 5 against Chelsea.

Thus it should be remembered... there are no easy games in the Premier League. 

At this point chelsea winning doesn't matter as they were pretty much nailed on to get top 4 anyway. Spurs have dropped points today then we need West Ham and Liverpool to drop points in at least one game to still have a chance. 

1 minute ago, turlo said:

At this point chelsea winning doesn't matter as they were pretty much nailed on to get top 4 anyway. Spurs have dropped points today then we need West Ham and Liverpool to drop points in at least one game to still have a chance. 

The problem is that if West Ham win 3 of 4 which is very possible, we will need something from Man Utd / Chelsea.

Guest bennytwohats
1 minute ago, turlo said:

I get the sentiment, but I'm not sure it's that black and white. Us playing Chelsea meant we had more influence over their run in than the others, so if we somehow beat them then that would have made it pretty difficult for them to finish above us (had they lost today).

It's still all pretty abstract given the number of possible permutations, but there are some permutations where Chelsea winning today is significant.

Guest bennytwohats

One of the most painful things is I keep looking at the table and thinking 'what if' we'd won the last two - we'd be on 68 points (second in the table). Spurs would no longer be able to catch us, West Ham and Liverpool couldn't drop any more points if they wanted to catch us.

Whatever else happens, it's a real shame for the club they couldn't capitalise on the golden opportunity to put ourselves in that position.

Edited by bennytwohats

1 minute ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Might be beneficial if Chelsea beat Arsenal midweek. Sucks confidence out of chasing pack and lets Chelsea take it easy last 2 games. Not realistic.

Weakened team for that now. Fine and rested for the cup final.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Chelsea winning actually makes not that much difference when finishing top 4 just Liverpool and West Ham are to be feared... thankfully arsenal are out of el 

West Brom play both. Normally you would hope Sam could make it difficult for them but relegation will be confirmed by then so the desire may not be there.

5 hours ago, chapero82 said:

For two seasons running we didn’t sign a attacking player in January and both times it looks like it’s cost us massively 

3 hours ago, chapero82 said:

Really? So against Southampton we were crying out for some creativity but we didn’t have any because Maddison was unfit 

It was a winger we needed and yet we were never after one. Rodgers wanted another attacking midfielder as Praet was injured but after missing out on a few then wanted a defensive midfielder in Chalobah. The irony is he has played Praet since he's come back. We kind of got a new striker in February anyway in Iheanacho.

Our club has disregarded the need for more options out wide and up front for years now, since we wasted an absolute fortune on Slimani and Musa. We've slowly seen the number of options dwindle and didn't think it was a problem.

5 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

Weakened team for that now. Fine and rested for the cup final.

I said before, I think it makes no difference resting. Sometimes playing every 4 days keeps a good rhythm.

The good thing about the final is that it is 90 minutes, anything can happen. I just hope we turn up and give everything. For all remaining games. Southampton draw I could accept, we played well just missed opportunities but yesterday was an embarrassment. The players need to show full effort in the remaining 4 games. Tuesday is almost a game to prove who deserves to start the final.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lineker's Left Foot said:

I am a pessimist but still think there’ll be a few twists and turns. 

I mean, our whole wave of panic basically dissipates if West Ham lose a couple of games which isn't exactly wildly improbable. They're in decent form but they're still a David Moyes side incapable of anything except counter attacking that are completely reliant on a couple of bang average players maintaining purple patches. 

It's hardly beyond the realms of imagining that they lose to Everton and then fail to beat one of Brighton, West Brom or Southampton, all of which are likely to park the bus and make them work. 

Meanwhile, Tottenham's season basically ended today, Liverpool's will if United beat them and Everton are too far back. 

Their odds obviously got hugely slashed when we lost to Newcastle but when have we ever done anything the easy way? What's important now is we react vs United. If we actually come back with any kind of bang and find some energy and determination to go in to the last three games with, we're not likely to lose them all. 

Probably. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

I mean, our whole wave of panic basically dissipates if West Ham lose a couple of games which isn't exactly wildly improbable. They're in decent form but they're still a David Moyes side incapable of anything except counter attacking that are completely reliant on a couple of bang average players maintaining purple patches. 

It's hardly beyond the realms of imagining that they lose to Everton and then fail to beat one of Brighton, West Brom or Southampton, all of which are likely to park the bus and make them work. 

Meanwhile, Tottenham's season basically ended today, Liverpool's will if United beat them and Everton are too far back. 

Their odds obviously got hugely slashed when we lost to Newcastle but when have we ever done anything the easy way? What's important now is we react vs United. If we actually come back with any kind of bang and find some energy and determination to go in to the last three games with, we're not likely to lose them all. 

Probably. 

It's just inconceivable to think a team can go and fail to beat a 10 man dog muck Southampton side and then get bull hammered by a Steve Bruce side and then dust ourselves off and qualify for top 4 and/or beat a juggernaut in Chelsea next Saturday. But as you say, this is Leicester!

• Like 1

Just now, Ric Flair said:

It's just inconceivable to think a team can go and fail to beat a 10 man dog muck Southampton side and then get bull hammered by a Steve Bruce side and then dust ourselves off and qualify for top 4 and/or beat a juggernaut in Chelsea next Saturday. But as you say, this is Leicester!

I’m going through exactly the same emotions and thoughts as this time last year.

”Oh, we’ve ****ed a golden opportunity”

”Oh, we’ve ****ed another golden opportunity”

”It’s over, no chance”

”Maybe other teams will slip up”

”Nope”

”Maybe we’ll pull out a miracle beat two of the form teams in the league”

I think we can fill in the rest from there.

• Like 2