Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

England's FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Euro Qualifiers.

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

There’s nothing creative coming from the middle, there’s no one in the team that can make that visionary, unexpected defence splitting pass. They’re mostly very good at winning, keeping and passing the ball and that’s about it.

What England need is a Youri. He's exactly the type of player England haven't produced since Paul Scholes 

Edited by Paddy.
  • Like 4

Feels weird having WC qualifiers before the Euro's have taken place.

Feels weird having no England fans watching.

Feels weird having a WC in Qatar.

Feels weird having a WC in the winter.

Everything feels weird and I'm struggling to get into it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

image.png.179b6cf6fb7f6acefd4018bd84c3acda.png

Well this is squad I'd like to see go to the euros, I know Maddison is not there but lets face it he's missed quite a few games with injury and his position is just so popular present. 

It’ll most likely be something like:

3 x GK - Pope, Henderson, Pickford

8 x DF - Maguire, Chilwell, Coady, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Shaw, Stones, Walker, James

8 x MF - Rice, Mount, Sancho, Sterling, Henderson, Winks, Foden, Grealish

4 x FW - Kane, Rashford, Calvert-Lewin, Ings

Just now, Sly said:

8 x DF - Maguire, Chilwell, Coady, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Shaw, Stones, Walker, James

4 x FW - Kane, Rashford, Calvert-Lewin, Ings,

Meaning Saka, Barnes, Maddison, Bissaka, Mings, Abraham, Trippier, Gomez, Keane, Dier, Barkley, Ox, Bamford, Watkins, Niles, Bellingham, Dunk, White all miss out 

4 minutes ago, Sly said:

4 x FW - Kane, Rashford, Calvert-Lewin, Ings

I quite agree it'll be that squad but some of the names their don't really get, Winks is vastly overrated as well Stones, Walker I just feel is times up as well as Henderson. Dier sadly will be going seeing as he's the manager's favourite I won't be surprised if Coady misses out, which would be wrong.

Edited by Leicesterpool

21 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Well this is squad I'd like to see go to the euros, I know Maddison is not there but lets face it he's missed quite a few games with injury and his position is just so popular present. 

5 full backs? No Stones? Lingard ahead of Maddison? No Ward-Prowse? No Calvert-Lewin?

30 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Just one central midfielder? 

I think there is probably only 2 or 3 spaces available. Who goes has 3rd central midfielder behind Rice and Henderson, probably Phillips. Whether we bother with a 3rd striker, I'm not sure we will and will flood the attacking midfielders. Sadly it seems Coady, Mings and Dier are in his centre back plans, otherwise he'd have picked the other options in this squad. One of them will miss out with us having the extra right back in Walker. 

Pickford, Henderson, Pope 

Walker, Trippier, James, Maguire, Stones, Mings, Coady, Shaw, Chilwell 

Henderson, Phillips, Rice 

Foden, Mount, Grealish, Sterling, Sancho, Rashford 

Kane, Calvert-Lewin

That's what I think he will go with, if everyone is fit. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

5 full backs? No Stones? Lingard ahead of Maddison? No Ward-Prowse? No Calvert-Lewin?

Just dont trust Stones too error prone for my liking. Maddison position is difficult at the moment seeing as there is already foden, sterling and grealish. Lingard is more centre midfield then attacking midfield. Calvert lewin like him but I'm not sure we can rely on him for too many goals. 

Edited by Leicesterpool

Mason Mount seems to take a sizeable amount of grief for some reason (I think he's half-decent) when the real myth is how on earth Harry Winks keeps getting the call up. I can recall him having one good half against Real Madrid a few years back, that's genuinely it.

12 hours ago, Langston said:

Mason Mount seems to take a sizeable amount of grief for some reason (I think he's half-decent) when the real myth is how on earth Harry Winks keeps getting the call up. I can recall him having one good half against Real Madrid a few years back, that's genuinely it.

Mount is a decent player, good enough for England and possibly most suited of the creative midfielders in Southgate's system. I don't mind him but the likes of Winks, Ward-Prowse, Dier and Phillips should be nowhere near an England side at the minute. That might be harsh on Ward-Prowse but he isn't England class or if he is then that tells us all we need to know.

BBC Sport

World Cup 2022 qualifying: England v Poland
Venue: Wembley Date: Wednesday, 31 March Kick-off: 19:45 BST
Coverage: Live commentary on BBC Radio 5 Live, text commentary on the BBC Sport website

Declan Rice believes England are an "entertaining team to watch", after critics suggested Gareth Southgate's side are too cautious.

The West Ham player once again partnered Leeds' Kalvin Phillips as holding midfielders in England's 2-0 win over Albania last weekend.

"I think in Gareth's mind you can't go too attacking," the 22-year-old said.

"You can't go all out all the time because the opposition have got quality and can hurt you."

Although the tactics paid off against Albania, a similar game plan failed to do so in two Uefa Nations League games against Denmark last year, which ended in a goalless draw and defeat. It was Rice and Phillips who also started in those matches.

"No-one kicks up a fuss, we all go out there and know our jobs," Rice told BBC Radio 5 Live on the eve of Wednesday's World Cup qualifying game against Poland.

"There is a lot of talk around not needing two holding midfielders, why not playing six attackers? I kind of understand why the manager sometimes doesn't do that. There has to be that balance between the two."

Rice said England's system helps the side enjoy more possession of the ball and that there were "a lot of things to be positive about".

"We have control of the ball, we try to move the ball really quickly, try to shift the teams from side to side and then look for openings," he said.

"I think we are a really entertaining team to watch. I think people complain all the time and say that we are not, but I think we have really improved as a group over the past couple of years."

Rice has flourished at West Ham this season, helping the side to fifth in the Premier League. He said he does not want to solely be recognised as a holding midfielder who breaks up play.

"If there is one thing that I could say that I have improved on the most this season it would be trying to take the team up the pitch a bit with the ball," he said.

"I think as a midfielder you always get labelled for always just passing it, keeping the ball moving and doing the dirty work. I don't want to just be labelled as that.

"[Former Manchester City midfielder] Yaya Toure is the one I've studied.

"I think he was probably the best at that, recognising when to pass and play short balls. Also recognising when there was space, to step into it and drive the team up the pitch."

There you are you're We're being entertained Declan says so!

• Like 1

On 29/03/2021 at 11:15, Super_horns said:
Robert Lewandowski out of Wednesday’s game.

There goes the press hype of him v Kane.

There goes Southgate's formation of 5 holding men to stop him.