Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

England's FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Euro Qualifiers.

Outrageous that the Under 21s are set up to fail with PE Teachers as managers.

Also Lineker got a load of stick, but he was right. There should be a play-off round before this group stage with all the daft nations involved, so that they qualify for this stage. They do it in other continents. 

Who's benefitting from this? Stat-padding strikers? San Marino have won one game in their entire history. Get them and 9 other nations in a play-off round and go back to 5-team groups would be my solution. 

Edited by RonnieTodger

13 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Also Lineker got a load of stick, but he was right. There should be a play-off round before this group stage with all the daft nations involved, so that they qualify for this stage. They do it in other continents. 

Who's benefitting from this? Stat-padding strikers? San Marino have won one game in their entire history. Get them and 9 other nations in a play-off round and go back to 5-team groups would be my solution. 

Fully agree what are these Nations actually getting out of being whipped 5+ nil every game, there needs to be a couple of pots with the likes of San M, Gibraltar & such like all playing each other to earn qualification a little like that Nations lge a few years back which wasn't perfect but the concept was there.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

11 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Fully agree what are these Nations actually getting out of being whipped 5+ nil every game, there needs to be a couple of pots with the likes of San M, Gibraltar & such like all playing each other to earn qualification a little like that Nations lge a few years back which wasn't perfect but the concept was there.

Funny Thing is.....wayback in The 80s-90s...Havelange & Blatter in their President tenure....

Tried to push a couple of motions through for the Mino's....Including The thought of a mini-W.cup  just for those chosen nations...Then 2 Finalisten qualified

to Play with the big-boys

ideas of chosing for membership were...Ratings...Finance,Population,...Only X-number of squad could be profis...Plus other details...

it sort of died a death....The smaller countries, for various reasons, Preferred the odd Major income & recognition,

than being Left on the forgotton Lower shelf...

Plus arguments over tradition/Historic category...

If is a minefield....!!

I think last night has proven to me I have no real interest in international football anymore. Apart from it taking 2 weeks of domestic football away it just evokes no emotion in me whatsoever. None of our players excite me in the slightest or give me any hope of us winning a major trophy. Even the last World Cup that everyone bangs on about as being a great tournament I thought we were bang average. 

I'll still watch our games in the Euros and World cups but not too upset to see us lose anymore like I used to be

• Like 1

I'm think that my interest in England has gone down as LCFC have improved to a point where they have arguably better players playing better football as the England team has declined.

So maybe the more successful the club you support becomes the less you need the England team to compensate.

I seem to remember a few years back Man Utd fans getting some abuse for their attitude towards England compared to Man Utd.

4 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Albania, Andorra, San Marino, Hungary is the most England qualifying group of all time. 

Belgium v Wales gets played more frequently than Celtic v Rangers mind lol 

But yes I agree, it's got to be the single easiest group I have ever seen, and we usually get easy ones.

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

Belgium v Wales gets played more frequently than Celtic v Rangers mind lol 

But yes I agree, it's got to be the single easiest group I have ever seen, and we usually get easy ones.

To be fair I've just looked at all the groups and there's not a single "group of death" situation anywhere. I lose track with all the changes but I assume uefa must have extra places in this? Or there's another round of qualifying? I can't see how any of the main European teams fail to qualify. 

6 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

This is one benefit of the Nations League- they've been able to play teams of similar ability and managed a couple of draws recently so they've improved against their level of teams which is good.

Is it really that bad to play them? The games are dull but I didn't see San Marino going around trying to kick England or be brutal, they tried to play the game properly.

8 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

To be fair I've just looked at all the groups and there's not a single "group of death" situation anywhere. I lose track with all the changes but I assume uefa must have extra places in this? Or there's another round of qualifying? I can't see how any of the main European teams fail to qualify. 

Nothing's changed to my knowledge, it's still a 32 team World Cup, suppose the only difference is Russia have to qualify but that won't make much of a difference.

I think the single worst group I've ever seen was the one Ranieri blew as Greece manager. Euro 2016 qualifiers. It's an unbelievably weak group.

16 minutes ago, Corky said:

This is one benefit of the Nations League- they've been able to play teams of similar ability and managed a couple of draws recently so they've improved against their level of teams which is good.

Is it really that bad to play them? The games are dull but I didn't see San Marino going around trying to kick England or be brutal, they tried to play the game properly.

Absolutely and it's not a massive issue that we are playing them, but we've got San Marino and Andorra in the same group, somehow. It doesnt help that we keep drawing the same minnows. At least Faroe Islands or Gibraltar would be more interesting.

I think a preliminary play-off round would be better to weed out some of the awful teams. Gives them extra competitive matches too. If they win their play-off match then fair enough. 

Edited by RonnieTodger

4 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Absolutely and it's not a massive issue that we are playing them, but we've got San Marino and Andorra in the same group, somehow. It doesnt help that we keep drawing the same minnows. At least Faroe Islands or Gibraltar would be more interesting.

I think a preliminary play-off round would be better to weed out some of the awful teams. Gives them extra competitive matches too. If they win their play-off match then fair enough. 

Yeah, I get that we seem to play the same minnows and it's repetitive. I just think they need to play as many competitive matches against each other as possible, maybe a mini-World Cup event when the main one is on or in free summers to gain competitive experience.

I did think playing for San Marino must be hard work mentally knowing you get battered every game but then I thought it must be great playing against some top players, in great stadiums and the opportunity to feel like a proper footballer for an amatuer must be great. Some of them must have fantastic shirt collections. 

Rather that than playing against 6 other shite sides all the time because noone can be arsed playing you. San Marino will always be shit.