Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

New Champions League format from 2024

1 minute ago, Leicesterpool said:

Well in terms of wild card rule then youd have to put forest and villa. There more successful in terms of Europe rather than Arsenal or Spurs though you just know they will find a way in there. 

Based on past but recent results in Europe... and you can only get the points for being in Europe. So currently 9th place Arsenal can keep getting into Europe through past European results and keep amassing the points needed to keep them getting a wild card, despite finishing mid table umpteen times.

Only chance any club has of stopping it is basically getting into Europe 5 seasons running and doing well, we'd then become a the wild card. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, filbertway said:

"wild card" generally used to give smaller entrants a chance, in this case it's to ensure the most successful European teams are allowed an "off campaign"

League cup will have to change as anybody in the new champions league won't be able to realistically compete.

I assume we'll hear from Klopp soon and other managers that it's not right to be adding more games to the schedule?

Should have been changed a long time ago IMO. It's just become an easy route to a trophy for the big teams with big budgets and big squads.

How many 'smaller teams' have won it since we last did? In 21 years it's been Blackburn, Boro, Birmingham and Swansea. And Spurs. Otherwise it's just been Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City, for 21 years.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

For all intents and purposes, this is that 'breakaway European Super League' the big clubs have been planning for years, in all but name. 

This surely means that the likes of Liverpool and United will never not qualify ever again. Self-serving ***** 

26 minutes ago, glenny_fox said:

absolutely disgusting.

another move just designed to keep the rich, rich.

what motivation would liverpool have to play prem games this season if the wildcard was in play. just literally put all their eggs into the champs league basket, seeing as they would be guaranteed to get in the champs league.

24 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Arsenal would last season have been given a place in the champions league finishing 8th 6 points lower than us, and having not even finished in the top 4 since we won the league. 

What's the point?

Is all of that correct, though? It's 36 total places, 2 of which are wildcards, reserved for 2 teams that didn't qualify but with highest Uefa co-efficient. 

So it's only 2 teams across all of Europe. It's doesn't 'guarantee' that it's always Man U/Liverpool/Spurs/Arsenal does it? What am I missing?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Is all of that correct, though? It's 36 total places, 2 of which are wildcards, reserved for 2 teams that didn't qualify but with highest Uefa co-efficient. 

So it's only 2 teams across all of Europe. It's doesn't 'guarantee' that it's always Man U/Liverpool/Spurs/Arsenal does it? What am I missing?

Due to the way the other leagues are set up. One of those wildcards will pretty much always apply to the PL.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Based on past but recent results in Europe... and you can only get the points for being in Europe. So currently 9th place Arsenal can keep getting into Europe through past European results and keep amassing the points needed to keep them getting a wild card, despite finishing mid table umpteen times.

Only chance any club has of stopping it is basically getting into Europe 5 seasons running and doing well, we'd then become a the wild card. 

Agreed. This is exactly why this has been done, to safeguard historically successful but currently underperforming clubs. Arsenal have been standing still for ages, they've been relatively poorly run for a good while now. They've shown no ambition since moving to the Emirates. On the other hand, we've been run extremely well and ambitious - yet,  potentially, Arsenal will be rewarded and we won't, purely because they were decent in the past? UEFA have out UEFA'd themselves with this one. Just don't call it a competition, you ***** 

Edited by Paddy.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Agreed. This is exactly why this has been done, to safeguard historically successful but currently underperforming clubs. Arsenal have been standing still for ages, they've been relatively poorly run for a good while now. They've shown no ambition since moving to the Emirates. On the other hand, we've been run extremely well and ambitious - yet,  potentially, Arsenal will be rewarded and we won't, purely because they were decent in the past? UEFA have out UEFA'd themselves with this one. Just don't call it a competition, you ***** 

Arsenal probably won’t be in Europe next season, we will be. 

the coefficient is based over a 5 year period, we probably have a higher coefficient than Arsenal by 2024 so more chance this benefits us than them

1 minute ago, howie said:

Arsenal probably won’t be in Europe next season, we will be. 

the coefficient is based over a 5 year period, we probably have a higher coefficient than Arsenal by 2024 so more chance this benefits us than them

even if this ends up being true, i dont want this new format :(

Edited by ParkerPen
x

7 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

A chance to embarrass yourself. It's a remarkably popular option

UEFA have been forced into this by the greed and vile self-interest of Europe's richest clubs, who have held a gun to their head for years with the 'Super League' breakaway threat. The 'wild card' idea is of course disgusting and goes against all meritocratic sporting principles, and it definitely shows who pulls the strings in this power struggle, but if there is enough negative reaction to it from fans/TV companies/sponsors etc over the next three and a half years, then I firmly believe that it will be ditched.

• Like 1

This just makes me want the likes of us, Everton, West Ham, Wolves, Villa, etc. to be more successful. Can't wait to see these so called big clubs throw their toys out of the pram when two of the above make the top four and only one of the so called big six is awarded a wild card. How long before they're calling for the quota of wildcards to be increased? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bovril said:

And some people want us finish to 4th just to get a few Champions League crumbs over seeing us lift the FA Cup.

Was thinking the same thing. People on here jizz themselves into a coma in desperation to reach this little palace of elitism.

Nothing wrong with wanting to be there, but the utter desperation to be part of this elite gang, whose MO is to maximise profits and close the shop is a bit weird.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Was thinking the same thing. People on here jizz themselves into a coma in desperation to reach this little palace of elitism.

Nothing wrong with wanting to be there, but the utter desperation to be part of this elite gang, whose MO is to maximise profits and close the shop is a bit weird.

I think people feel it's better to be in the tent pissing out - even if it means stepping into a big puddle of piss when you eventually have to leave.

Edited by trabuch

Just now, Les-TA-Jon said:

Come again?

It's a roundabout way of saying you're not missing anything

I don't like it, but it's a fairly minor change compared to mooted alternatives and as you say, it might not include an English club in any given year. 

21 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

I don't agree with the wildcard thing in principle, it's abhorrent but as much as Arsenal have been on the decline they have still went deep into European competition during that time in reaching the final and latter stages of the EL so it's not strictly based on what they've done in the past. European co-efficients have always worked on a rolling five year basis.

Leicester may be a stronger side this season and last domestically but in European terms hey're not even close to Arsenal yet in terms of european performances. Even this season Arsenal have been pants but have found a way to get to the latter stages again.

That's why Leicester need to be doing better than what they done this season in Europe and it needs to be consistent if the next level is reached. It's so important, it's not only an extra revenue stream but qualifying and competing regularly is self-fulfilling in terms of taking that next step.

The whole thing is a self-serving cartel though and a joke, purely to satisfy the already super rich clubs who have essentially thrown their toys out the pram because greed has consumed them and they want guaranteed even more money.

Growing up I was fascinated by the champions league, even the music made my hairs stand up, seeing Europe's best roll into Glasgow and very often leave with a bloody nose were the best days of my life supporting Celtic.

Now the way it's going, where basically the clubs with the wealthiest owners or from the richest leagues in a commercial sense are the only ones who can compete isn't something I'm bothered about being part of.

• Like 1

Just now, trabuch said:

I think people feel it's better to be in the tent pissing out - even if it means stepping into a big pile of piss when you eventually have to leave.

We're not going to win it though are we. And we might struggle to make it out of the group stage. So being in the tent doesn't appeal to me that much when the tent is such a shit hole. 

• Haha 1