Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

New Champions League format from 2024

I am totally surprised there is no Wild Card Qualification Tournament as this would enable more of the 'Yesterday Clubs' to get their noses in the trough.   Derby and the Trees may get a run-out then.

• Like 2

Rubbish idea just to appease the teams pushing for a super league. It was inevitable that something would change and personally would have actually preferred the super league as they would have left 99 per cent of other teams able to go in a different more authentic direction for football. Doesn't make me not want us to push for a season or two in it, but hopefully now gives us better opportunities to win efl Cup and fa cup if we don't qualify. 

“Son, you have to work hard in life”

”Then later uses your riches to change the rules of the game.”

”Then you’ve made the game easier for yourself, and harder for everyone else.”

”And in your free time you can berate complainers for begin lazy, stupid and bad eggs.”

Finally, a CL that mirrors my morals in life.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, twister said:

I think I might slowly withdrawl from football in the next couple of years

ready to tap out completly come 2024

the game is dead greed has ruined it

If it wasn't for our recent success, I'd be a lot less invested in football. It seems a lot of the things I loved about the sport are gone or going. If it's going to be a European super league with the same teams playing every year while everyone else is left to rot then forget it.

Sounds a bit bizarre but this is why I'm increasingly obsessed with other sports like NRL (Australian rugby league). It's uber-competitive, thanks to the salary cap. It's fast-paced, unashamedly aggressive and just generally unspoilt. When teams do cheat, it's dealt with appropriately (Melbourne Storm being stripped of their titles). It's everything football isn't right now.

• Like 1

The league Cup should not be scrapped under any circumstances just in principle. If big clubs moan of a fixture congestion they just forfeit it or put out their u23's! 

This is why I don't like the champions league and uefa!

Will teams who finish in the Europa League places get bumped into the champions league if they fit into this coefficient? 

All this will do will create a bigger gap between the big teams and the smaller teams. Players will just move to a ‘bigger’ club if they know they’re guaranteed Champions League football each year, regardless of Domestic League position.

It will also mean, teams will just rest players in the League if they know they can’t win the League and have an important European games coming up. No point fighting for European football if UEFA just give you a spot anyway

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Well if this is how 'elite' clubs are supposed to behave I hope we never make it.

42 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

And join the cartel that everyone on here hates and become part of this clutch of clubs that become so hungry they'll eat themselves.

Not for me, that happens and much of the magic that makes Leicester what they are becomes lost.

Mia san mia.

I just meant that I hope we defy their system...

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

In many ways this is worse than a Super League. If the clubs fooked off and did that we could just get on with the system based on performance that’s worked fine for the last nearly 150 years. This is just a super league while also diminishing the Football League.

But their membership of a Super League is as well as being in the PL not instead of, they'll eventually want both and to dump the FA Cup.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LCFCbwoi said:

Will teams who finish in the Europa League places get bumped into the champions league if they fit into this coefficient? 

All this will do will create a bigger gap between the big teams and the smaller teams. Players will just move to a ‘bigger’ club if they know they’re guaranteed Champions League football each year, regardless of Domestic League position.

It will also mean, teams will just rest players in the League if they know they can’t win the League and have an important European games coming up. No point fighting for European football if UEFA just give you a spot anyway

That is a very good but sad point. 

The future....

I honesty think we're moving towards at an NFL top tier style franchise and then moving towards European cities bidding to join the league.

Teams will have a couple of seasonal games against teams outside the locked out league like local derbies such as Liverpool v Everton, Juve v Torino but that will be the extent of it.

Tickets will be around 200 quid a match, obviously.

• Like 2

This is just the start. The rules will be continually 'tweaked' to ensure the same few clubs are guaranteed entry. Aiming for the top 4-6 will soon become utterly pointless as prior achievements will count more and more and so the fact you've not qualified for a competition that is designed to ensure you don't qualify for it will be used as justification for why you should qualify.

This is a glorified pre season tour in all but name.

8 minutes ago, Nalis said:

The future....

I honesty think we're moving towards at an NFL top tier style franchise and then moving towards European cities bidding to join the league.

Teams will have a couple of seasonal games against teams outside the locked out league like local derbies such as Liverpool v Everton, Juve v Torino but that will be the extent of it.

Tickets will be around 200 quid a match, obviously.

I think you're right. I think it'll eventually be like the Pro14 wherein the likes of Leinster and Munster play their reserves in league games and then roll out the big guns for European competition only. 

getting more and more like the NFL every year. It will soon be too expensive for your average fan to go to the games and it will be majority corporate (you only have to look at everything cup final to see its going that way already.

The only thing again like the NFL it will push football fans down the period but instead of college football in America it would be lower league football here. 

The premier league / champs league or what ever they call it will be your home viewing and the non league / lower league will be your Saturday afternoon football fix. 

It would be great if each team had some sort of ‘Fan Union’ who ultimately voted for and against decisions made by UEFA.

The idea that a few wealthy men ,with ulterior motives, make these massive decision to change the sport that is loved worldwide just doesn’t sit right with me. When almost every fan doesn’t want this new format yet somehow it still gets pushed through, no democracy at all.

• Like 4