Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Prince Philip Dies

20 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

Feel as if it’s all a bit OTT for this to dominate all the TV scheduling on every channel. 

If only there were alternatives... like maybe a tv streaming service we could watch instead..

The wall-to-wall coverage has been beyond embarrassing. We don't need BBC running the story and old footage on two channels over the weekend and there have been 2-minute silences at many sporting events. I'm not a royalist nor am I particularly anti-royal, but surely even royalist are fed up of not being able to escape it? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

I wouldn't get too worked about the BBC going OTT; I think it's in their modern DNA.

Every 4 years, they go OTT about the US Presidential Election.

They went OTT when David Bowie died.

They even went totally OTT when we won the league - I seem to remember wall-to-wall coverage for most of that Tuesday morning.

You name it, BLM, XYZ or whatever, when they put their mind to it ... BBC does OTT like no one else.

Bowie was a huge loss though. 

• Like 3

The media is telling us we should be sad. We are being manipulated. No one (apart from close family members - like his cousin and wife) is going to be, or should be, that sad about this, But the BBC in particular are trying to dictate how we should feel. It's horrible. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trabuch said:

The media is telling us we should be sad. We are being manipulated. No one (apart from close family members - like his cousin and wife) is going to be, or should be, that sad about this, But the BBC in particular are trying to dictate how we should feel. It's horrible. 

so you’re not a royalist then?

Think the BBC proved what royal arse lickers they are. You can pay tributes make it a quick new flash for 30 minutes then return normal programme then maybe slip a quick an hour long tribute programme at 7 to phillip on BBC two. I mean that surely is enough. I think myself in the last two days we are realising that lot more people arent exactly overwhelmed shall we say by the royals. That's even before the megan and harry stuff. 

Edited by Leicesterpool
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Leicesterpool said:

Think the BBC proved what royal arse kickers they arse. You can pay tributes make it a quick new flash for 30 minutes then return normal programme then maybe slip a quick an hour long tribute programme at 7 to phillip on BBC two. I mean that surely is enough. I think myself in the last two days we are realising that lot more people arent exactly overwhelmed shall we say by the royals. That's even before the megan and harry stuff. 

I know what you meant. But that is a funny typo.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

To be fair to the guy, if I've learnt anything from the past 48 hours of intense media coverage, it's that he would have been embarrassed by it all.

Prince Charles pretty much said that in his live speech.

They had 2 tribute programmes about PP on the IPlayer.

I am sure after the first hour or two of “breaking news” that would have sufficed .

Wasn’t like it was a developing live story which the Princess Diana death was.

2 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Prince Charles pretty much said that in his live speech.

They had 2 tribute programmes about PP on the IPlayer.

I am sure after the first hour or two of “breaking news” that would have sufficed .

Wasn’t like it was a developing live story which the Princess Diana death was.

I was talking about this with my mums other half last night, as we both agreed that the broadcasting of the same thing on BBC 1 and 2 on Friday night was too much. If it had just been BBC 1 it would have been fine.

But then he said the Diana coverage was over the top. Bit surely if anything is going to get lots of news coverage is the shock death of the mother of the future king at the age of 36 in an accident. I mean if she'd had cancer and we knew it was coming I doubt it would have got the same level of news coverage. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I was talking about this with my mums other half last night, as we both agreed that the broadcasting of the same thing on BBC 1 and 2 on Friday night was too much. If it had just been BBC 1 it would have been fine.

But then he said the Diana coverage was over the top. Bit surely if anything is going to get lots of news coverage is the shock death of the mother of the future king at the age of 36 in an accident. I mean if she'd had cancer and we knew it was coming I doubt it would have got the same level of news coverage. 

Diana was a different event- that was unexpected and a car crash leaves a lot of unanswered questions and possible reasons.

This is a 99-year-old man who had recently been in hospital passing away. There's no speculation, no breaking news beyond it, just a load of talking heads trying to fill time.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

The wall-to-wall coverage has been beyond embarrassing. We don't need BBC running the story and old footage on two channels over the weekend and there have been 2-minute silences at many sporting events. I'm not a royalist nor am I particularly anti-royal, but surely even royalist are fed up of not being able to escape it? 

BBC have had that many complaints they've had to setup a dedicated contact number for complaints. Rightly so too. Couldn't escape it the other night.

• Like 1

I don’t understand why they needed the coverage on two channels, to take BBC4 off air, and for all their radio stations to alter their programming, that is overkill, although i thought it would be pretty common knowledge that it’s what would happen, this is pre-planned. Just needed to be on BBC1 only though, I don’t have any problem with them having wall-to-wall coverage of it. 

I vaguely remember the Queen Mother dying but I can’t remember if it was the same, presume it was. But back then there was much fewer alternatives, at least this time you could switch off from it all because of all the options available.

1 minute ago, Kopfkino said:

I don’t understand why they needed the coverage on two channels, to take BBC4 off air, and for all their radio stations to alter their programming, that is overkill, although i thought it would be pretty common knowledge that it’s what would happen, this is pre-planned. Just needed to be on BBC1 only though, I don’t have any problem with them having wall-to-wall coverage of it. 

I vaguely remember the Queen Mother dying but I can’t remember if it was the same, presume it was. But back then there was much fewer alternatives, at least this time you could switch off from it all because of all the options available.

I can't recall there being this much hysteria. My main memory of that is Manish Bhasin having to announce it during Sportstime Fulltime on Radio Leicester (can't recall if we'd won that day).

16 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I can't recall there being this much hysteria. My main memory of that is Manish Bhasin having to announce it during Sportstime Fulltime on Radio Leicester (can't recall if we'd won that day).

We did win, we beat Blackburn at home. It was a shit season though and didn’t win many as we said bye to filbert street that year.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, trabuch said:

is the BBC ran by the government, probably explains it

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

MCC patron and fan of the sport though he was, this is way over the top. Recreational players can't even go indoors to watch the funeral under current rules - even if they wanted to!

Might give County a rare chance of stretching the match until day 4. That assumes of course at least one of the days has been lost to rain  😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

We did win, we beat Blackburn at home. It was a shit season though and didn’t win many as we said bye to filbert street that year.

Garry Flitcroft got serious stick that day, I think a story about his affairs came out and our fans harassed him for it.