Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Prince Philip Dies

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

There'd be a meltdown if they *weren't* showing it on all channels, such is the society we live in nowadays.

Different companies maybe but exactly the same thing on both BBC channels, nothing on BBC Four and all the radio stations stopped broadcasting their own stuff for hours.

Why does Radio 1 Dance or 5 Live Sports Extra need to cut away from their usual schedule for half the day?

Very sad.

He certainly was a true character and is very much into the folklore of British history.

The next 'God Save Our Queen' anthem in the next England game against Austria on 2nd June will be quite sombre, but alongside great pride, to listen to.

Edited by Wymsey
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Corky said:

Different companies maybe but exactly the same thing on both BBC channels, nothing on BBC Four and all the radio stations stopped broadcasting their own stuff for hours.

Why does Radio 1 Dance or 5 Live Sports Extra need to cut away from their usual schedule for half the day?

Agree. Thank goodness for Netflix etc. Seems a bit OTT to devote every channel to identical tributes. 

Totally off topic, but the TV reminds me of new year's day 2000. I can honestly say one of the worst days of my life, lol. TV was on a loop (fireworks.in Beijing! Fireworks in hawaii!)  I went in town for a beer to break the boredom, as all the locals were shut. No.sport either. No Internet then (well not like today) I was horrified that everywhere in town was closed too. Without any hint of exaggeration, it was like a scene off 28 days later.  I remember walking in the road  around a deserted holiday Inn st Nicholas circle roundabout. Not a soul. Not a car. Weirdest day of my life. 

I always think of Prince Phillip as embodying both the danger and beauty of wit. A lot of the time, it can put people at ease. Sometimes you get things wrong and gaffe, or show yourself as behind the times. As much as anything, his sense of humour will be a great loss to a royal family to whom that doesn’t always come naturally. Although I’m sure his death won’t come as a great surprise, my thoughts are with them right now.

PS.

@Voll Blau - I’m a big fan of the BBC. I unashamedly reckon it’s some of the best value for money of anything in the world. And despite generally being a Conservative voter, I’m always disappointed by those factions in the party who would do away with it.

• Thanks 1

I think charles will be king sooner than we think. I know the queen is a strong woman but you see a lot of times couples of extreme old age passing away in quick succession.

I'm no monarchy lover by any stretch but would be something if she was a queen well into the hundreds. Charles would never be king. Always a bridesmaid.

Anywho Philip had a good run. R.i.p.

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

The second tweet got me.

lol

They ****ed of Tony Blackburn's Golden Hour. Unforgivable. 

I'm never watching/listening to any BBC programs again. Shit on  their TV licence scam that ultimately denies us a choice of what we want.

7 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Agree. Thank goodness for Netflix etc. Seems a bit OTT to devote every channel to identical tributes. 

I wouldn't get too worked about the BBC going OTT; I think it's in their modern DNA.

Every 4 years, they go OTT about the US Presidential Election.

They went OTT when David Bowie died.

They even went totally OTT when we won the league - I seem to remember wall-to-wall coverage for most of that Tuesday morning.

You name it, BLM, XYZ or whatever, when they put their mind to it ... BBC does OTT like no one else.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Parafox said:

They ****ed of Tony Blackburn's Golden Hour. Unforgivable. 

I'm never watching/listening to any BBC programs again. Shit on  their TV licence scam that ultimately denies us a choice of what we want.

This line made me laugh more than it should of. 

• Haha 1

I have no issue with BBC one having constant coverage last night. I even don't mind itv doing it too, as they'll feel they have to broadcast it too, or they are just admitting the BBC are the main broadcaster. I didn't see the point in BBC 2 showing exactly the same, or taking BBC 4 off air. That's just over kill. It wouldn't surprise me if there's something in the BBC charter saying they have to do what they did with BBC 1 last night, but surely there's nothing sating they have to take every channel off air.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

I have no issue with BBC one having constant coverage last night. I even don't mind itv doing it too, as they'll feel they have to broadcast it too, or they are just admitting the BBC are the main broadcaster. I didn't see the point in BBC 2 showing exactly the same, or taking BBC 4 off air. That's just over kill. It wouldn't surprise me if there's something in the BBC charter saying they have to do what they did with BBC 1 last night, but surely there's nothing sating they have to take every channel off air.

I could've understood it more if say BBC One was rolling news with talking heads whilst BBC Two showed archive footage. But to show the exact same thing was too much. A sizable amount of the viewing and listening public want something else to watch/ listen to, they should've kept it on BBC One and News channels, Radio 4 and 5 Live and the rest go back to normal with regular updates to inform new viewers or listeners such as a ticker line along the bottom of the screen.

TV and radio should be about choice.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

So I've clearly had a very successful time escaping the claws of tv because I'm only just hearing about this.  Rip Phil.

A good move to hibernate for a day :). You may wish to do the same next Saturday when we have the funeral.

It was not only the BBC but across other channels too that decided there was no other news. I presume it was decided that listeners of other programmes could not re-tune if they needed to know over many hours Philip had died. It will be worse when the Queen dies (or abdicates) as she must at sometime over the next few years.. 

Gogglebox was most popular tv programme on Friday, as most viewers turned off blanket coverage Says it all...

Edited by oxford blue
further comment