Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Prince Philip Dies

3 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

15 minutes ago, martyn said:

ITV one was the most dramatic. You'd be wondering what terrible thing had happened for about 15 seconds.

https://youtu.be/NdNUe24Retg

There's not that much difference between the two. 

Both Lucrezia and Martine are clearly incredibly nervous about bearing the weight of delivering very significant breaking news both appropriately and clearly. It's likely the statement would've made it to their respective newsrooms just minutes before they went live... They would've had very little time to prepare and compose themselves.

Plaudits to both who I thought did a great job.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bovril said:

Jesus wept. 

"We are bringing you an announcement from the royal household....

...we have received a significant statement....

....it reads...

...it is with deep sorrow, that HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN.....

...announces the death of her husband"

To be fair they were just reading the official statement that was sent from the Royal Family

9 minutes ago, hejammy said:

To be fair they were just reading the official statement that was sent from the Royal Family

If I was watching This Morning and the way they ended I’d have been diving for the dining room table thinking the Russians had hit the button.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

For anyone who saw it, I thought the BBC newsreader who broke the news did a superb job (Martine Croxall of Hinckley and formerly of RL and EMT). What a story to break.

Agreed. You could tell her voice was about to go but I can't imagine there's much you can do to prepare yourself to read something like that until you have to do it. Think she did impeccably considering her and the team behind the cameras would have had only literally few minutes to prepare. 

• Like 3

Whilst it’s a rather macabre thought and not that I wish it, it is documented for older widows and widowers to ‘follow on’ not long after their partner dies. Not an exact science and personally hope it’s not the case but it would be quite the system shock to lose both senior royals in a year...

• Like 1

Just now, Finnaldo said:

Whilst it’s a rather macabre thought and not that I wish it, it is documented for older widows and widowers to ‘follow on’ not long after their partner dies. Not an exact science and personally hope it’s not the case but it would be quite the system shock to lose both senior royals in a year...

I was thinking that. Losing Elizabeth will be very traumatic for this country, I think even republicans respect her.

I suspect that there might have been the odd hint of a difference between Philip's views and mine, but I also suspect I'd have enjoyed a night out with him more than with most other royals, celebrities or politicians.

Maybe it says something about my enjoyment of naff jokes (help me, @Izzy), but I found his risqué wisecracks highly amusing - and bet he was a good laugh off duty.

This one was my favourite, I think: https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/sep/16/prince-philip-tory-tartan-knickers

(Credit to the Scottish Tory for her retort, too).....

"The subject of the duke's ribaldry this time was the Scottish Conservative leader, Annabel Goldie, who was among a group of dignitaries being presented to the Pope at the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh. Prince Philip first met the Scottish Labour leader, Iain Gray, who is believed to have been sporting a special papal tartan tie. At this point, the prince was said to have turned to Goldie, who was standing nearby, and asked if she had a "pair of knickers made out of this?"

Goldie retorted: "I couldn't possibly comment – and even if I did, I couldn't possibly exhibit them." A Tory insider said afterwards that Goldie was in "hoots of laughter" over the exchange".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trumpet said:

If I was watching This Morning and the way they ended I’d have been diving for the dining room table thinking the Russians had hit the button.

But I think the point is that the husband of the Queen dying is a big deal regardless of how anyone feels about the monarchy, The media in any country who's monarchs partner had died would have treated it with the same seriousness. 

I think overall for an older generation guy brought up in a world that none of us could ever image, he was alright geezer!

Imagine having to live tour whole life playing second fiddle to your Mrs, knowing you'll always be known as Queenies husband and always have to do" the right thing" according to "protocol"

You can tell he was abit of a lad so it must have been extra hard for him.

Imagine all of the changes hes seen over the years!.amazing really.

I think his gaffes were what youd expect for a bloke of that age from that generation. I worked with white lads of an older generation when I started work in 1988 and some of the things they said and asked me had me in stitches( not at the time- I was dumbfounded and hurt BUT it wasnt racist most of the times, it was just not knowing!)

I don't care much for the Royal Family at all but I do have abit of respect for Queenie and I think Phillip was a true servant to her and the country so he defo deserves a good send off.

2 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Martine was a real hard worker coming through the Radio Leicester ranks and it's brilliant to see she's gone on to have a superb career. Very well deserved and a wonderful person too.

She always comes across as really natural, professional and playful as well (obviously not in this instance). One of the best on the Beeb. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I suspect that there might have been the odd hint of a difference between Philip's views and mine, but I also suspect I'd have enjoyed a night out with him more than with most other royals, celebrities or politicians.

Maybe it says something about my enjoyment of naff jokes (help me, @Izzy), but I found his risqué wisecracks highly amusing - and bet he was a good laugh off duty.

This one was my favourite, I think: https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/sep/16/prince-philip-tory-tartan-knickers

(Credit to the Scottish Tory for her retort, too).....

"The subject of the duke's ribaldry this time was the Scottish Conservative leader, Annabel Goldie, who was among a group of dignitaries being presented to the Pope at the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh. Prince Philip first met the Scottish Labour leader, Iain Gray, who is believed to have been sporting a special papal tartan tie. At this point, the prince was said to have turned to Goldie, who was standing nearby, and asked if she had a "pair of knickers made out of this?"

Goldie retorted: "I couldn't possibly comment – and even if I did, I couldn't possibly exhibit them." A Tory insider said afterwards that Goldie was in "hoots of laughter" over the exchange".

Kind of hoping PP had just told the lady on the left a dirty joke.

ppp.jpg

Guest bss9401

I'm a bit surprised at how this has made me feel so sad today.

The Duke of Edinburgh has been a constant for 2/3 generations and it's hard to comprehend that our Queen's consort saw active service during WW2.

He achieved much and inspired many and I'd be in favour of a state funeral. This won't happen in the current climate so at least a national day of mourning. 

His life spanned three generations and twenty Prime Ministers. One of the rapidly dwindling number who fought in the Second World War. 

A link to another Britain, tougher and harsher than ours perhaps,  but surely one that demands some respect. 

Sorry to see him go. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1