Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FuriousFox46

Mentality issue

Let me start by saying I think Rodgers is a brilliant manager but does anyone else feel as if his sides often have a mentality issue.

Looking at his history with Liverpool, our semi final against Villa last season, dropping out the top four, and the result today, is this just part of being a Rodgers side or is it nothing to do with him?

I don’t think anybody disagrees that we have a mental fragility in big games but I wonder where everyone thinks it comes from 

Apart from at Celtic and Swansea, let’s not forget he got both us and Liverpool into great positions in the first place.

Today was different, something doesn’t look right, the effort, the basic errors, this just strikes me as something bigger is going on this week.

Obviously we know about the party, but what impact has that had on the preparation, the harmony within the squad, is there a bigger division.

I’m not sure what is happening and what went so wrong today but that wasn’t the Leicester I have watched this season.

• Like 1

Our mentality is the single thing holding us back. Since BR has come in we have lost all of our '6 pointers'. 

Villa SF in League cup 

Man United last game at home last season 

Europa home tie Vs Prague 

Today 

Spurs away last season when we had a chance to open a gap....same as Bournemouth away. 

None of those games have been close.... we've been battered in them. 

• Like 2

When we play Man City or Liverpool, I can understand us being defensive / conservative. When we play a team like West Ham* I don’t understand why we can’t try to stamp our authority on the game. It was only when we went 3-0 down that we actually started to play football and look dangerous. The mentality issue is all about set up and approach to the game, not about fragility. 

*West Ham are a good side and I’m not saying they’re not, but they’re a good functional side, not a team full of superstars that we need to overly fearful of. 

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

Are we too nice? Is that the problem? We don’t seem to have grit, we have this ugly soft underbelly that reads it’s head when we most need it not too, I’m sure we will see it again next weekend when Southampton put 6 past us. 

We don't play with enough urgency and we don't have players that come crashing in putting their body on their line to score.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

A side with mentality issue doesn't nearly come back from 3 goals down in the fashion we did. 

It could be better, but I don't think it's as bad as is being made out. 

A side with mentality issue doesn't recover from last seasons epic collapse and play like we have done up to now this season. A side with mentality issue collapses even more and doesn't stay in top 4 all season and get to an FA Cup semi final. 

Probably more to do with West Ham’s mentality given they do this literally every game 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

A side with mentality issue doesn't nearly come back from 3 goals down in the fashion we did. 

A side with mentality issue doesn't recover from last seasons epic collapse and play like we have done up to now this season. A side with mentality issue collapses even more and doesn't stay in top 4 all season and get to an FA Cup semi final. 

Exactly! The start was disastrous but we showed grit to fight back and frankly were unfortunate not to nick an equalizer.

Personally, I am now relatively much happier going into the FA Cup semi-final next weekend than I was at halftime. 

8 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Are we too nice? Is that the problem? We don’t seem to have grit, we have this ugly soft underbelly that reads it’s head when we most need it not too, I’m sure we will see it again next weekend when Southampton put 6 past us. 

100% this. The last 15 today give a glimmer of hope but the evidence suggests that we're just a bit nice and weak, mentally and physically. The approach today, like the run in last season, had to be seen to be believed. 

I've always said that, as good as he is, he is a bit too Hyacinth Bucket as in prone to being too deferential towards teams considered bigger than us and too arrogant against teams below us (see Slavia), but I'm hoping that's something he's moving past now (since the Liverpool win). 🙏

Weird isn’t it... against all the odds we get ourselves into the top 4.... then bottle it when it really counts..

let’s be honest...we wont be top 4... like last season we are just not capable of getting the job done..

I just wish we would set up to go out and have a real go... which we don’t..

7 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Exactly. That was the complete opposite of Bournemouth.

If we do have any mentality issues they’ll be shown up in these next 4 games.

7 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Spot on, brilliant post.

We've come back so many times this season, and our record against the so-called big six is excellent this season.

We've got so many players returning soon as well, that will make us stronger. 

Brendan is not to blame at all for today, set up all week for a team which you would imagine featured at least Maddison, then to be let down by 3 prats who knew that they would get caught, completely changes his tactics, thing is it was a game made for Maddison today which is what has dissapointed me the most