Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FuriousFox46

Mentality issue

On 12/04/2021 at 03:00, The_77 said:

We’re in a semifinal of this season’s FA Cup; we have a great record against the “Big 6” this season. 

I wouldn't even call playing against the big 6, high pressure games, more the opposite. Nor should they even be considered a big 6. It's the games which define the season where we regularly come up short, fa cup win being the anomoly. 🤣👍

1 minute ago, BlueSi13 said:

We have an almighty inferiority complex both on the pitch and in the stands IMO.

You just don't hear it from fans of others clubs.  Clubs who we now dwarf in terms of wage bill.

We need to grow a backbone.

Agree, although sometimes you have to go through a bit of pain to get that backbone, hopefully recruit well and go again next season.

• Like 1

On 07/05/2021 at 22:25, daddylonglegs said:

The only reason anyone should have any hope about this season....

Last season we were being hunted down by a bang in form United side. They went on a ridiculous run of games and ate away at our margin over a 7-10 game spell.

This season we’re being chased by a very average Liverpool side and West Ham, who have a dodgy result in them too.

One thing’s for sure - this side doesn’t have it in them to get it done themselves. We’re just going to have to pray that those around us crumble like we’re starting to. 

Absolute gibberish. 

Castagne, ricardo, JJ, Evans, Fofana, Wilf, Praet, Madders, Barnes all out for significant spells this season. 

I wonder how near West ham would've got to CL football losing soucek, lingard, Cresswell, ogbana, Antonio (which in fairness they do) and two or three others whose names I cba to recall for 12 games apiece

7 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

We have an almighty inferiority complex both on the pitch and in the stands IMO.

You just don't hear it from fans of others clubs.  Clubs who we now dwarf in terms of wage bill.

We need to grow a backbone.

I disagree. In some respects against Newcastle for example I felt we were maybe too arrogant; doesn’t help the goal difference 

I don't think it's the players that have the mentality issue, more Rodgers. He plays guys like Ndidi & Timmy at CB. Mendy, who hasn't played for ages, is drafted in. Madison having one of his better games is subbed. Bizarre decisions from a guy that was feeling the heat and his thinking skills seemed to completely abandon him. It's no coincidence  that Liverpool collapsed from an extremely strong position in 2014 and likewise we've done the same thing twice. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Wouldn't call it a mentality issue anymore. We literally won a Cup final last week.

An injury and poor substitution changed the game. 

Agree, Fofana's injury was crucial. 

Re. subs, I think Ndidi was his only choice in a back four and that's what they would have trained for all week. 

The Maddison sub was questionable but the sheer quality that Tottenham could bring on made the difference after Kasper's error. 

• Like 1

Just now, Paddy. said:

I'd agree with that, but that's hardly a 'rebuild' is it?!

I have quite a few issues with our side now as it stands

Albrighton( not as good as he was)

Ricardo( not looked the same player)

Maddison( not looked the same player)

Vardy ( can’t play every game)

Perez ( just plain shit)

Barnes ( recovery)

Justin (as above)

Praet ( surplus)

Choudhury ( surplus)

Players next season who look shoe ins are 

Kasper

Fofana

Soyuncu

Thomas

Castagne

Tielemans

Evans 

Nacho

As you see from above defence is ok, but as an attacking force it’s an area that for a long time now that  seriously needs strengthening.

Whats your thoughts?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Absolute gibberish. 

Castagne, ricardo, JJ, Evans, Fofana, Wilf, Praet, Madders, Barnes all out for significant spells this season. 

I wonder how near West ham would've got to CL football losing soucek, lingard, Cresswell, ogbana, Antonio (which in fairness they do) and two or three others whose names I cba to recall for 12 games apiece

Confused as to why you’ve replied to something I said 3 weeks ago but hey ho. 

‘this team doesn’t have it in them to do it themselves’ I said.... feels fairly true to me? 

No doubt there is a weak mentality among the players. When it comes to the crunch, they cower rather than stand up and be counted. They should have imposed themselves on the game when they retook the lead. They didn't and instead became passive.

• Like 1

Don’t believe it’s a squad mentality issue. Primarily it’s a depth of quality players issue which if we consistently finish high up, will be able to improve upon.

Hopefully Barnes, Maddison, Castagne, Evans, Vardy and Ricardo will all be able to rest. This should give us some fresher quality coming back.

If we can add Edouard, Soumare and another winger to the mix we’ll have better depth and tactical flexibility so mentality in crucial games shouldn’t be as significant as the quality will still be fit on the field. That way we should avoid finishing the season with a centre back 3 of Castagne, N’didi and Soyuncu.

Edited by Fox in the North

It's nothing to do with a mentality issue, it's the fact that we haven't got the strength in depth of the teams above us and we aren't quite good enough over 38 games.  When we have our strongest 11 on the pitch and they are all on song, we will beat most of thwe teams in this league.  We have too many injuries in key positions and we have too many players out of form again. It's as simple as that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Mister said:

No doubt there is a weak mentality among the players. When it comes to the crunch, they cower rather than stand up and be counted. They should have imposed themselves on the game when they retook the lead. They didn't and instead became passive.

Disagree.

We have a good mentality, players like Kasper ensure this. It isn’t a mentality thing it comes down to quality.... our last 3 games were Man U, Chelsea and Spurs.

Spurs brought on Gareth Bale and Lucas Moura... we ended the game with Ndidi centre back.

Feck all to do with mentality 

17 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

Confused as to why you’ve replied to something I said 3 weeks ago but hey ho. 

‘this team doesn’t have it in them to do it themselves’ I said.... feels fairly true to me? 

Sorry dude. Just firing off. Apologies your post got the brunt x

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

Starting with Rogers.  Enough of the little Leicester City bullshit.

Needs to get angry and give the players the rocket up the arse they've deserved on so many occasions this season.

The fact is the stats don't lie.  We've been comfortably good enough for the top 4 two seasons in a row and both times we've conspired to throw it away.  Pure and simple.

Call out failure for what it is when it happens.  We won't improve as a football club unless we can do that both on the pitch and in the stands.  

Scratch my original reply to this.

How can you talk about backbone when you would prefer us to have gold on our kit?

You have such little self-respect that you are happy to sell out our very club colours because the horrible metallic gold trim that was forced upon us was worn in a successful period.

Check your own ‘little Leicester’ small-time attitude first. Big clubs don’t sell out for success, they have pride in their history and traditions.

Edited by Kitchandro
  • Haha 1

For all those saying it’s not a mentality issue, when asked about plans for signings this summer Rodgers said something like:

”I want to bring in one or two who know what it is to win, who have that winning mentality”

There’s no way you can say there isn’t a mentality issue when, just days before a big game at West Ham, when the manager had specifically asked them not to, a few of the squad thought it was appropriate to have a party during lockdown.

That incident alone probably told Rodgers everything he needed to know about the will to win of a few in his squad. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him weed them out this summer.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sdb said:

Makes you realise how immense the 15-16 squad were mentally. You just expect this team to crumble when the going gets tough.

Agreed. That was my big concern going into the cup final. Amazing that we saw that out but maybe not a coincidence that Schmeichel, Morgan, Albrighton and Vardy were all on the field 

• Like 1