Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FuriousFox46

Mentality issue

40 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Scratch my original reply to this.

How can you talk about backbone when you would prefer us to have gold on our kit?

You have such little self-respect that you are happy to sell out our very club colours because the horrible metallic gold trim that was forced upon us was worn in a successful period.

Check your own ‘little Leicester’ small-time attitude first. Big clubs don’t sell out for success, they have pride in their history and traditions.

wot

Are you forgetting the gold/amber kits/trim we've had in the past?  Even the fox on our badge looks gold in some lights!?

Our club colour is blue.  End of.  If we'd done a Cardiff I get what you're talking about, but I'm a sell out because I like an accent colour?  

Sort it out lol

I'm very much of the opinion that last season was a mental issue but this one wasn't. After Villa in the cup last season we weren't the same side, bar the odd good performance. We blew a far more commanding lead on that occasion and didn't have quite the injury list and bust fixture schedule that we've had on this occasion. This time our lack of squad depth and injuries showed and it's also worth mentioning that Man United and Chelsea have been better this season. 

19 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I'm very much of the opinion that last season was a mental issue but this one wasn't. After Villa in the cup last season we weren't the same side, bar the odd good performance. We blew a far more commanding lead on that occasion and didn't have quite the injury list and bust fixture schedule that we've had on this occasion. This time our lack of squad depth and injuries showed and it's also worth mentioning that Man United and Chelsea have been better this season. 

It does kind of feel like that doesn`t it, but the truth is, the last 9 games of last season we got 9 points, the last 9 games of this season, we got 10 points, so only a point more.

Maybe winning the FA Cup has helped to sugar coat our poor league form over the course of those 9 games, i`m not sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlueSi13 said:

Starting with Rogers.  Enough of the little Leicester City bullshit.

Needs to get angry and give the players the rocket up the arse they've deserved on so many occasions this season.

The fact is the stats don't lie.  We've been comfortably good enough for the top 4 two seasons in a row and both times we've conspired to throw it away.  Pure and simple.

Call out failure for what it is when it happens.  We won't improve as a football club unless we can do that both on the pitch and in the stands.  

I get what you're saying but this makes it sound like we've done it on purpose.

I dont think there is a mentality issue at the club. But I do think as the results were not going well it was starting to play on the players mind and massively hit our confidence in the league.

In all areas of the club they are striving on and off the pitch to become better and set ourselves extremely high standards that we all hope we can achieve on a regular basis.

Young players still learning and having potential will grow on experiences like today and last season.

Lets just hope the pain of losing on the last day again will drive the squad on to get rid of the duck of having a poor last 10 games of the season again.

12 minutes ago, steflcfc said:

I dont think there is a mentality issue at the club. But I do think as the results were not going well it was starting to play on the players mind and massively hit our confidence in the league.

In all areas of the club they are striving on and off the pitch to become better and set ourselves extremely high standards that we all hope we can achieve on a regular basis.

Young players still learning and having potential will grow on experiences like today and last season.

Lets just hope the pain of losing on the last day again will drive the squad on to get rid of the duck of having a poor last 10 games of the season again.

Christ. This runs deep.

The mentality crisis must be absolutely horrific at the 87 league clubs that finished the season below us and at EVERY club that didn't win the FA cup... so... err... every club!

So we're in good company then.

Its hardly a mentality issue when we lost key players like Ricardo at the end of last season and this season we lost loads of key players and still made more points than last season. All we can learn is that we don't have like for like replacements like those clubs that can stick £250mn of bums on the benches to watch the games. And, to be truthful we have a numpties who gets a lot of play time. Nothing that a typical Chelski £250 Summer season wouldn't sort out. Plus, we need to stop selling top players to the competition, no way would Man C, Man U, Chelski or Liverpool sell one of they key players to each other. They only move around those over the hill or surplus to requirement. Unless we become a go away or we only sell to PSG and the like then they will always strengthen whilst simultaneously weakening us. Its like playing a six pointer and losing every time to constantly pass your best players onto those you are hoping to directly compete against. 

3 hours ago, dayday said:

I have quite a few issues with our side now as it stands

Albrighton( not as good as he was)

Ricardo( not looked the same player)

Maddison( not looked the same player)

Vardy ( can’t play every game)

Perez ( just plain shit)

Barnes ( recovery)

Justin (as above)

Praet ( surplus)

Choudhury ( surplus)

Players next season who look shoe ins are 

Kasper

Fofana

Soyuncu

Thomas

Castagne

Tielemans

Evans 

Nacho

As you see from above defence is ok, but as an attacking force it’s an area that for a long time now that  seriously needs strengthening.

Whats your thoughts?

...I would not include Nacho in the first eleven....!!!

2 hours ago, Fox in the North said:

Don’t believe it’s a squad mentality issue. Primarily it’s a depth of quality players issue which if we consistently finish high up, will be able to improve upon.

Hopefully Barnes, Maddison, Castagne, Evans, Vardy and Ricardo will all be able to rest. This should give us some fresher quality coming back.

If we can add Edouard, Soumare and another winger to the mix we’ll have better depth and tactical flexibility so mentality in crucial games shouldn’t be as significant as the quality will still be fit on the field. That way we should avoid finishing the season with a centre back 3 of Castagne, N’didi and Soyuncu.

....not sure I agree with this....!!!

We have at present, well prior to the game, JJ, Barnes and Evans out of the team and obviously players having come back from injury who have not reached the standard that they were prior to their injury.

Now if you are saying that fatigue is the cause of our season tailing off them I could agree to a point (we have played a lot of games in a short space of time), but we have seen this before and the players themselves are either feeding off Rodgers negativity or they themselves are unable to motivate themselves.

You do not go into games where you need to win and put in two performances such as the Chelsea and Spurs games, and approach it with so much uncertainty, as we looked fragile in both of these games.

Not getting in another Centre Back would leave us in the same situation we found ourselves today.

It's such a fine line, too. We've managed the same number of points in the last 3 games as Chelsea (with tougher fixtures). Had we held on for 15 minutes would they have a mentality issue? They've lost the last two cup finals they've been in as well.

There are lots of factors at play here.

• Like 1

The side needs a leader on the pitch, an actual general. When we're on top form we're as good as anything in the league, when we're not we're headless chickens. Kasper can organise a backline, he can keep the defence alert but there's no-one further down the pitch talking and organising, literally dragging players through a game. As it goes today, we lost that game because rather than trust a Morgan, a Fuchs or an Amartey with coming in to the backline we brought Ndidi out of midfield so we lost control of the midfield and weakened two areas of the pitch rather than just one.

If we hang on, we all celebrate a top 4 finish despite the injuries, instead we're all wondering if it's injuries or fragile mentality.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Corky said:

It's such a fine line, too. We've managed the same number of points in the last 3 games as Chelsea (with tougher fixtures). Had we held on for 15 minutes would they have a mentality issue? They've lost the last two cup finals they've been in as well.

There are lots of factors at play here.

...they just have not clicked as yet!!!

I said at the start of the season that they would win the league should they sign Havertz!!!

On paper they look like an awesome team but misfiring, they have achieved a lot this season and possibly could walk away with the Champions League trophy. 

When they get it right, it will be tough to compete against them. 

2 hours ago, iancognito said:

The side needs a leader on the pitch, an actual general. When we're on top form we're as good as anything in the league, when we're not we're headless chickens. Kasper can organise a backline, he can keep the defence alert but there's no-one further down the pitch talking and organising, literally dragging players through a game. As it goes today, we lost that game because rather than trust a Morgan, a Fuchs or an Amartey with coming in to the backline we brought Ndidi out of midfield so we lost control of the midfield and weakened two areas of the pitch rather than just one.

If we hang on, we all celebrate a top 4 finish despite the injuries, instead we're all wondering if it's injuries or fragile mentality.

...if you can recall Rodgers first game in charge against Watford when he bought Morgan on to combat a big Centre Forward  Watford had brought on, as Rodgers attempted to see out the game.

In the end it was the ball over Morgan's head and their forward coming through to bury it past Kasper to win the game. Rodgers is far too safety conscious and the same idea nearly cost us the F.A. Cup.

Hindsight is 20/20 vision. The choices Rodgers made won us the FA Cup! We are building. Our depth is better than previously but not close to our rivals- the elite of English football! (Yes, we now compete with the best- unimaginable not so long ago!!) No mentality issue- just a need to keep adding depth. 

Today hurt- that’s football. Accept this as a brilliant era to be a City fan. Blue Army!!

Edited by Chicago Foxile

8 hours ago, sm1 said:

I don't think it's the players that have the mentality issue, more Rodgers. He plays guys like Ndidi & Timmy at CB. Mendy, who hasn't played for ages, is drafted in. Madison having one of his better games is subbed. Bizarre decisions from a guy that was feeling the heat and his thinking skills seemed to completely abandon him. It's no coincidence  that Liverpool collapsed from an extremely strong position in 2014 and likewise we've done the same thing twice. 

Yeah ... unfortunately it is more Rodgers. If you play a defensive formation and emphasise on safety first, that’s what you get. Players need to play with freedom and focus only with the game in mind. Rodgers’ job is to take away from the players the nervousness and hesitation by telling them just to play at their best and attack. If you have a coach that tells you to control the game, that instills hesitation and lack of self belief. Pep, Klopp, Ferguson etc never ask their team to defend a lead and stop playing. Overtime, this becomes a mentality issue. 

• Like 1

I do think we have a mentality issue, but it is improved from last season.

The way we reacted at 2-2 yesterday was not good. We lost our composure and our heads went down, despite us still being one goal away from the Champions League.

Add to that the collapses against West Ham, Arsenal, Newcastle etc and it’s clear we have some issues. Rodgers even spoke post match about wanting to add players with a “winning mentality”.

Look at Phil Mickelson.   He uses mindfulness to focus on the task in hand and avoid destraction from thoughts of earlier errorsborbof the momentous nature of the situation. 

Btw: while we can all improve our focus I believe our recent performances in the pl has bern doen to the paucity of options in the squad.  We ran out of players inform.  There was mo one ton pick up the game by the scruff of its neck.  We need a deeper squad

.. gray morgans ****s have gone... bring in too 6 quality players. At least one with experience....

32 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I do think we have a mentality issue, but it is improved from last season.

The way we reacted at 2-2 yesterday was not good. We lost our composure and our heads went down, despite us still being one goal away from the Champions League.

Add to that the collapses against West Ham, Arsenal, Newcastle etc and it’s clear we have some issues. Rodgers even spoke post match about wanting to add players with a “winning mentality”.

...genuine question, how has it improved when we have repeated what happened the previous season!!!

It is a mentality issue, but where does it come from, because it is not there at the start of the season and it manifest itself when we need to get over the line.

We do lack a leader on the pitch and I wonder what was going on in Youri's mind at the end as he appeared quite despondent. If this result has made him realise that he needs to get players by the scruff of their necks to drag them over the line, then I will take this failure on the chin.

It is a major thing that is missing from his game and I hope he becomes that player.