Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

There are presumably 'membership rules' for belonging to the Prem, or for being signed up to the FA, UEFA etc. And among those rules there must surely be penalties for acting in a way prejudicial to those organisation. That will either provide a basis for (or limit) any actions taken against the Scumbag Six?

2 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Seems unfair on the conference clubs. They can start at step 8/9 where most new teams start :D

Exactly. They’ll soon realise what sport is again when there’s only one or two promotion spots between them season on season. They’ll learn again what it means to be the best on merit rather than self appointing themselves as such!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I firmly expect UEFA and the FA to both bottle it btw, they'll end up caving to the big clubs, especially UEFA. They were threatening to ban them from EL/CL yesterday, but by Thursday they'll be saying nothing will be done this season, watch this space.

Unfortunately I have to agree. I can't see anything actually being done about it. This is all being made out about "greed and power" but I've a horrible feeling that once money starts being chucked about, then they'll back down.

Right now Uefa, in particular, are making big noises about it because their power is being threatened and they're barking in the hope that the ESL backs down.  If Perez and company hold firm, I do fear that not much can and will be done about it

What I can't get my head around is that the 12 clubs agreed, then the other 3 they seem to be certain of joining now aren't so certain about doing so. Did those 3 (whoever they were) have the inclination to wait and see what the reaction was before nailing their colours and stating their decision? 

Now that they've seen the reaction and backlash, are they now not willing to risk such criticism and hatred? Ultimately that being the right thing to do anyway. What if the 5 clubs who 'qualify' for those remaining spaces don't want to join for that season? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gav_LCFC14 said:

By Gawd that's BoJos music. I feel dirty.

Every prime minister has an opportunity to save their skin. Could this be Boris’s swansong, could he turn the covid crisis around and become the man of the people who saved football?

5 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Scary how accurate that is, apart from the £5 charge for pay per view, more like £20

And Newcastle being part of the European super league :D

Edited by Jimbo

I think Man City will back out of this within 24 hours. Its undoing everything they have worked (and spent money) for by undermining the current tournaments and leagues. The first one to back out also has first mover advantage and could probably avoid most punishments by saying they were forced into it and would have been left behind if they didn't. They also have a strong case to say they just wanted leverage over UEFA as they have been fighting for years.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Swarles Barkley said:

Benfica who were rumoured to be keen on joining now officially ruled themsleves out, saying the previous leak was nonsense. Great stuff

What amuses me is these other clubs ruling themselves out have greater history that the "super clubs" breaking away. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Scary how accurate that is, apart from the £5 charge for pay per view, more like £20

And Newcastle being part of the European super league :D

In fairness it was 1994, and they were only a couple of years away from not winning the Premier League.

2 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

In fairness it was 1994, and they were only a couple of years away from not winning the Premier League.

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

No more laughable than Spurs, in 1997 they'd have been in easily.

Just goes to show how much can change in time though, and why the ESL is a ridiculous idea.

• Like 1

Been trying to take all this in for last couple of days and can come up with only one answer as to why these clubs want to go off to their own league and that is money  i did read somewhere that the money that these clubs get from it can only be used for infrastructure and to offset covid losses not money for players but im sure they would find a way around that. 

• Like 1