Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

4 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

If they go and are kicked out then yea great, but then everything and anything needs to be done by everyone to ensure it's not a success. Because it doesn't change the fact that if its an overwhelming success and the world's best flock to it. We'll never be allowed to compete at the top table. No club should denied the right to compete at the top Purley because for the last 10 years their name didn't fit. 

I don't see how it can be successful to be honest. It'll become glorified friendlies, people will lose interest quite quickly I think. It really is an absolutely awful idea lol

52 minutes ago, demon_dog said:

Not sure if it is possible to deny a player registration to play.

This could probably be fought in a court of law under the human rights act.

You cannot stop someone from legitimately working.

This assumes the players want to play, and I'm going to guess that thier contracts are for registered competitions like the league, the cups etc. A player may be able to withdraw from the squad on contractual basis (I'm guessing here obviously), but would they with the pay packets they are going to get? 

22 minutes ago, filbertway said:

As soon as they go into their own league, they're no longer a part of our footballing eco system. They matter to me as much as boca juniors do. They have to leave the domestic league for me, they become irrellevant from that moment.

This is true . They can also alter the rules and playing conditions to suit if they want . It would pass for sport in the same way that most of the bo**ocks played and shown in the US under the heading of sport can be regarded as sport 

30 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Prevent them from using their names because at the end of the day, that's all they've got. What i think that is more important though is for the current governing bodies to issue a statement saying what the actual consequences would be, if any, i.e clubs and players of those clubs would not be allowed in any other competition. Obviously at the moment the players and managers have been ordered to keep their mouths shut but once the full implications are known, then i'd expect players to start saying things.

Maybe, this would not be such a bad thing for football after all from a fans perspective, fans have been complaining for years about too much money in the game, but it's these 6 clubs that have been the main cause of the problems, let them go and become squillionaires and maybe the rest of us can get back to a level playing field. 

I saw a post suggesting the people with the power to do this are the local councils, not Central government. Seems unenforceable to me. Leicester City Council couldn’t stop a window firm calling themselves Leicester Windows, and I don’t see how this is any different.

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

It would be silly to have the CL and the SL running in parallel if those SL teams are still in the PL as they want to be. 

The final PL table would be a complete Dogs Dinner with 6 teams automatically going into the SL and the 4 highest placed teams into the CL which could conceivably be the teams finishing 7,8, 9 and 10. Then of course you have the chance that one or more teams could be selected as one of the 5+ teams

It would be complete farce.

We'd either accept have to the SL as a direct replacement for the CL and stick with the Euro & Conference Leagues or Kick out the 6 from the PL which is not what they want.

Agreed, I was working under the assumption that those clubs no longer compete domestically and are basically stuck playing friendlies.

Just now, filbertway said:

Agreed, I was working under the assumption that those clubs no longer compete domestically and are basically stuck playing friendlies.

Aye it's always been their intention to guarantee their places in the CL. They manage to get some concessions regard historical achievements but it's obviously not enough to get them all in every season.

6 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I don't see how it can be successful to be honest. It'll become glorified friendlies, people will lose interest quite quickly I think. It really is an absolutely awful idea lol

Because the people its aimed it aren't bothered. They'll sell out 100,000 seater stadiums in America or the 80,000 seaters in China. That's who this whole thing is aimed at because they beleive they can make more money that way than this. Which means they can pay the better players more money ect. 

Edited by ARTY_FOX

16 minutes ago, filbertway said:

As soon as they go into their own league, they're no longer a part of our footballing eco system. They matter to me as much as boca juniors do. They have to leave the domestic league for me, they become irrellevant from that moment.

I think you are looking at it from the perspective of a Leicester fan. And I agree with you that the idea of the prem without those 6 clubs actually looks very palatable  from most English football fans perspective.

However, the premier league is currently a massively globalised product and English fans make up a small percentage of the viewership. 

Who is going to watch a Leicester vs Seville champions league final, on the same day Real Madrid play Man City in the super league final? The reality is the prem & the champions league will loose out hugely. Because of this I don’t think the prem will have the bottle to kick these clubs out.

When that happens you have a situation where clubs not in the super league have absolutely zero hope of ever competing financially with a super league club. 

Super league clubs will be able to pick up any half decent players, field them in their domestic development team (they don’t need to compete domestically anymore it’s meaningless) and still beat the majority of normal teams.

That way they keep their allstar squad for globetrotting franchise games, pick up their minimum 400m pay check every year and continue to rinse the game. 

I think the only way this can be stopped is if the premier league immediately removes these clubs, and we try to reset and rebuild football such that this sort of thing can never happen again. Take the hit short term, hope that genuine passion in stadiums and sporting merit/excitement trumps the soulless super league franchise product and that global tv audiences can be clawed back. 

I’m just not sure they have the bottle to boot them or appetite to take that risk unfortunately :( which is why this feels like the end.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Fair play, been a long year, thought they all wanted it.

Yeah I should have stipulated I actually agree with the sentiments of your original post though. The broadcasters have been part of the problem that have lead us here. 
I just felt the PPV saga is the wrong example and it actual fact, how the fans got that pulled is more of a reflection of the power we do hold.

• Like 2

I'm interesting to know what the reaction has been amongst any American fans about this? Are they looking at the reaction here and thinking what's the problem? 

A system they are used too, similar to ICC cup they have per season but with a bit more of a competitive edge. This will be NFL, and football in this country becomes the equivalent of college sports in America. 

I always suspected there were leaders and followers, Utd, Liverpool leading it, it's no excuse but maybe the 5th & 6th on board had the "may as well, looking at what will be left behind if we don't" attitude, and they're the ones who could start to wobble now the heat is on. Maybe they fully expected to be able to play Premier League alongside it and now realise that won't happen.

1 minute ago, RowlattsFox said:

I'm interesting to know what the reaction has been amongst any American fans about this? Are they looking at the reaction here and thinking what's the problem? 

A system they are used too, similar to ICC cup they have per season but with a bit more of a competitive edge. This will be NFL, and football in this country becomes the equivalent of college sports in America. 

Will be an interesting episode of the US Foxes Podcast this week!

59 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Absolute bollocks, they've seen the backlash and now are trying to save face.

I hope after all this is sorted major changes are made to football, it can't carry on as it is.

Also laughable to see BT and Sky cry about a monopoly, these ***** were charging us for PPV games a few months ago, they've only annoyed they haven't been offered part of the gravy train.

Don’t agree about sky and bt, in theory anyone could bid for the rights to show games. It’s not a complete monopoly 

5 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Because the people its aimed it aren't bothered. They'll sell out 100,000 seater stadiums in America or the 80,000 seaters in China. That's who this whole thing is aimed at because they beleive they can make more money that way than this. Which means they can pay the better players more money ect. 

If the customer doesn't get tired of it then the players definitely will

3 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I would have thought that most American football fans actually follow European football because of how it’s structured with the excitement of relegation etc.

This is actually pretty hilarious. What’s essentially happened is the owners of the six richest clubs in England have permanently alienated their entire fan bases. 

What these clowns need to do is feck off, and go and build their super franchise clubs in Qatar in those big white elephant slave labour stadiums. They can throw cash at a small number of traitor players and sell their “product” to Chinese cable TV. Everybody’s happy. 

8 minutes ago, twister said:

They have had a zoom meeting the 14

it was explosive apparently

shits about to go down on this, chairmen wanted vengeance apparently.

Hope there has been a vote and every single one of them has said '****' em, they're out'.

15 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Hard for me not to go all conspiracy theory with the backtracking and the monthly trial balloons for new leagues and tournament changes. These are owners of multimillion/billion dollar/pd businesses. Somethings Up? John Henry go figure.