Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

I think some people are maybe underestimating the statements from the PM, Government and wider political establishment who are all united against this.  

In short they've said no.  It isn't happening on British soil.  

The fact the PM has muted legislative changes to prevent it means that if the power to stop it doesn't exist now, it will do shortly through legal changes.  This is huge.

Of course it helps the government that almost the entire footballing world is also against it, but I also think the government understands that the Premier League is a big feather in the cap of the UK's diplomatic soft power.  It's a huge global export that brings HUGE amounts of money in to this country.  This super league would essentially ensure its destruction, whether the six stay in or not.

If the six want it to happen, they might have to not only leave the Premier League, but the country as well.

• Like 2

So one of the board members of the "Greedy 6" has basically said that the legal constraints they are under do not seem sound and they are fully intent on testing them if needed, i.e. You can't stop us and you won't even be able to punish us either! 

Oh boy, I hope they have seriously misread the legal print on this! The arrogance is astounding!

21 minutes ago, StanSP said:

What I can't get my head around is that the 12 clubs agreed, then the other 3 they seem to be certain of joining now aren't so certain about doing so. Did those 3 (whoever they were) have the inclination to wait and see what the reaction was before nailing their colours and stating their decision? 

Now that they've seen the reaction and backlash, are they now not willing to risk such criticism and hatred? Ultimately that being the right thing to do anyway. What if the 5 clubs who 'qualify' for those remaining spaces don't want to join for that season? 

Bayern and Dortmund are 51% fan owned so difficult for them to just commit - they have 30 days 

PSG are dithering because they aren't sure …….and they want to stay in this seasons CL !!

Just now, Webbo said:

Obviously I'm not a lawyer but I don't think any of this is illegal so I not sure how the govt can stop it. 

6 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

I think some people are maybe underestimating the statements from the PM, Government and wider political establishment who are all united against this.  

In short they've said no.  It isn't happening on British soil.  

The fact the PM has muted legislative changes to prevent it means that if the power to stop it doesn't exist now, it will do shortly through legal changes.  This is huge.

Of course it helps the government that almost the entire footballing world is also against it, but I also think the government understands that the Premier League is a big feather in the cap of the UK's diplomatic soft power.  It's a huge global export that brings HUGE amounts of money in to this country.  This super league would essentially ensure its destruction, whether the six stay in or not.

If the six want it to happen, they might have to not only leave the Premier League, but the country as well.

I think this would be the main way how. They'd ban it from happening on British soil.  

Just now, st albans fox said:

Bayern and Dortmund are 51% fan owned so difficult for them to just commit - they have 30 days 

PSG are dithering because they aren't sure …….and they want to stay in this seasons CL !!

Are they definitely the 3 clubs asked? 

Perez said yesterday they've not even spoken to the German clubs? 

Yet again we are the people's champions, which is ironic considering the wealth of Top and the family. It shows how far respectful ownership (and some serious wedge) can get you, in winning hearts and minds.

I'd quite like to bang on about Partygate some more, but we seem to have got distracted.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Obviously I'm not a lawyer but I don't think any of this is illegal so I not sure how the govt can stop it. 

It’s the fuching government!!!  Of course they can stop it. Just pulling police from their role at games would guarantee no safety approval and no games. 

If Boris has got the nuts for this, and let’s be honest, he’s got a pair, it will NOT take place on British soil. Then what?  

I expect this to fold by the end of the week. Fat tw@ts. 

Just now, Suzie the Fox said:

Do we know what time the meeting of the other 14 was today? 

Apparently 11.00 am.  By the time they get zoom working at the KP (bearing in mind we struggle with Fax Machines) we may miss it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

I think this would be the main way how. They'd ban it from happening on British soil.  

But how? Its not illegal to play football and charge people to watch. We don't want to live in a country where the govt can ban you from a legal activity just because they don't like you. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Webbo said:

They may be able to prevent matches being played in the UK, but the owners wouldn't care. That would play into their hands if anything. 

24 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Scary how accurate that is, apart from the £5 charge for pay per view, more like £20

And Newcastle being part of the European super league :D

This just goes to show how ridiculous the “big 6” really is, because at this time 5 out of the big 6 were nowhere.

The top six clubs around this time were the likes of Newcastle, Blackburn, Villa, Leeds and possibly Norwich (mean didn’t they beat Bayern in Europe?).

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

But how? Its not illegal to play football and charge people to watch. We don't want to live in a country where the govt can ban you from a legal activity just because they don't like you. 

It is if there’s no-one to police the safety aspect, it’s part of a grounds safety certificate.