Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

PL and the FA need to move fast. Don’t allow them to set their plan into motion. 

I stand by what I said. 50-100 point deduction for all six clubs. Relegate all six clubs to the championship and then let 6 clubs come up to the PL. if they want out, then let them have it, on our terms though. **** them over. 

Would the Football League even want those clubs to join?

The is no freedom of movement and no right for non UK residents to work in our newly Free Sovereign nation. Our Game, Our league, Our nation. The American, Saudi and Russian owners look at what happened to Wimbledon when they where ripped from their home and transported hundred of miles. If you want to be a European Club In A European league, best look for a stadium and fans that are in Europe. the sports minister can simply not issue work permits to visiting teams.   

Edited by twoleftfeet

it's basically just this all over again isn't it....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series_Cricket#Secret_signings

the playbook for FIFA, UEFA and the FA is in there. 

I can't see this getting traction over the medium term.... its a BIG leap of faith for the clubs if they are kicked out of the domestic league... as it would be a very long way back.

1 minute ago, Rusko187 said:

Let the Liverpool Red Sox and Manchester Buccaneers go off and do their own thing, but exclude them from all domestic and international tournaments and insist that any player signing for them will not be considered for their respective national teams. It will then be flooded by mercenaries or inferior players.

It cannot be allowed for these teams to monopolise football and ensure they remain this level, they will have permanent access to an extremely lucrative tournament... how can it be fair they can than utilise that financial power anywhere else in football.

As Roy Hodgson once said... Bin!

I think you overestimate the pull of international football. 

In this new world, these guys will be earning 300-500k a week..... I'm sure they won't be too fussed about an unpaid competition every two years. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there will be the odd player with strong values but in general, I don't think it will make a massive differance. 

5 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Not sure it works like that. The 'super' clubs' gambit is that they draw in the majority of the interest, branding, sponsorship and broadcasting income. 

Broadly speaking there's 2 types of football fan:

• The 'authentic' fan with an emotional, historic and potentially geographic attachment to the club
  • The 'commercial' fan, who could be / is from anywhere on the planet and only cares about seeing the 'best' players against the 'best' teams as much as possible

The ESL breakaway may well lose a sizeable majority of the 'authentics' but in terms of sheer numbers they are dwarfed by the 'commercials' who will lap this stuff up happily. And given some time, I'm not convinced the 'authentics' won't come back to watch Liverpool vs Barcelona anyhow...you're telling me they wouldn't watch, they wouldn't celebrate a last minute winner? 

In the meantime, the PL brand is destroy, either irrevocably or taking years to recover. All remaining clubs have their incomes slashed and cannot compete for players. 

I understand the points. 

I along with the majority of the UK football fan market will be authentic. We don't care about branding, however the Commercial customer will do, and may well lap this up...

These clubs do not control the market! This isn't Darts! Where a breakaway league can be a success.

The arrogance to believe they can have their cake and eat it, and the "lesser" teams will be invited if they are good enough? WOW what arrogance.

I'd never watch it! Id never support Leicester joining their little club if we beat the other lesser clubs..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greg2607 said:

I can't see this getting traction over the medium term.... its a BIG leap of faith for the clubs if they are kicked out of the domestic league... as it would be a very long way back.

They won't be. The premier League brand needs them for TV rights so you can expect the Premier League to just roll over here.

That way they will still get the competition for the Tv fancs.

The Champions League will be the big loser as this closed shop will effectively replace it. pan European football competitons will need to be replace though.

3 minutes ago, twoleftfeet said:

The is no freedom of movement and no right for non UK residents to work in our newly Free Sovereign nation. Our Game, Our league, Our nation. The American, Saudi and Russian owners look at what happened to Wimbledon when they where ripped from their home and transported hundred of miles. If you want to be a European Club In A European league, best look for a stadium and fans that are in Europe. the sports minister can simply not issue work permits to visiting teams.   

They will end up doing a F1 type thing with a round of games in different countries each time with the highest bidder getting the games so Saudi, Dubai, China, America....

Just now, reynard said:

They won't be. The premier League brand needs them for TV rights so you can expect the Premier League to just roll over here.

That way they will still get the competition for the Tv fancs.

The Champions League will be the big loser as this closed shop will effectively replace it. pan European football competitons will need to be replace though.

so lets say that Leicester then Qualify for the Champions League, but get invited to the SL as well for that season.....

how does that work??

how can you have a competition where you are "invited" rather than qualify due to domestic performance. 

the whole integrity of the structure falls down. 

The integrity of the PL is also compromised as the teams in the SL, have an additional revenue stream that others don't have access to. 

1 minute ago, Greg2607 said:

so lets say that Leicester then Qualify for the Champions League, but get invited to the SL as well for that season.....

how does that work??

how can you have a competition where you are "invited" rather than qualify due to domestic performance. 

the whole integrity of the structure falls down. 

The integrity of the PL is also compromised as the teams in the SL, have an additional revenue stream that others don't have access to. 

That's what I'm saying really. Pan European football competitons  would need to be re-formated and wouldn't carry as much weight or importance. As we don't know the criteria for invited guests it is hard to say how that would work in the scenario you quote.

I don't believe the premier League will kick them out as it would be that brand that would suffer.

8 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

This is what my dad said yesterday, I’m not a follower of cricket but he said they didn’t hold back, even with the big hitters. The PL HAVE to do the same, we can’t give them an inch. 

1 minute ago, Royston. said:

Sorry, I have done zero research, just going by what I read on here mainly.

Would all the super league clubs prefer to continue in their domestic leagues and play the super league at the same time or is it a complete breakaway?

Stay within their domestic league. This is purely to replace European competition but there is debate about wether or not they would need the FA'S permission to do so. 

Just now, Royston. said:

Would all the super league clubs prefer to continue in their domestic leagues and play the super league at the same time or is it a complete breakaway?

Yeah, they basically want a closed Champions League which they can't be relegated or removed from, then carry on playing in the Premier League too.

1 minute ago, Royston. said:

They want to continue domestically, and play this new ESL midweek instead of the Champions League. 

Simply by being in the ESL they stand to be given 4x more money than they would by winning the Champions League. 

Just now, reynard said:

That's what I'm saying really. Pan European football competitons  would need to be re-formated and wouldn't carry as much weight or importance. As we don't know the criteria for invited guests it is hard to say how that would work in the scenario you quote.

I don't believe the premier League will kick them out as it would be that brand that would suffer.

and thats where the structure falls over isn't it??

because those clubs won't participate in the CL.... and those clubs who get invited, don't get much of the revenue from the SL..... what a mess they've created.

8 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I think you overestimate the pull of international football. 

In this new world, these guys will be earning 300-500k a week..... I'm sure they won't be too fussed about an unpaid competition every two years. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there will be the odd player with strong values but in general, I don't think it will make a massive differance. 

Any footballer in the world dreams of lifting the most coveted trophy in the game, the World Cup... it's one of the Pinnacle achievements in the game... this new tournament is going to be no different to that Champions tournament we participated in when we won the league. It will be hollow, nothing to it.

It would be like winning the Nations League, nobody cares!

To a paraphrase the great Kevin Keegan, I would love it if the FA told the 'Big 6' where to stick it but in reality we're part of an unsustainable model without them. The Premier League was built out of necessity as the state of the domestic game was a shambles, thanks mainly to off field activities, but it has just grown and grown to the point that the big six dominate the brand in every way, and in particular United and Liverpool. Losing them could be catastrophic for smaller clubs in the short term, but hopefully far better in the long term. 

Of course it could be rebuilt and hopefully in such a fashion that it resembles the old first division with perhaps less quality, but far more of what makes football the sport we all love.