Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I'm sure there's loads more but they're the ones I've seen this morning 

Good to see but I want a player/manager from one of these "big 6" clubs to come out and slate it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Royston. said:

As much as I hate the sound of that, wouldn't that be better than the eradication of the English league system when all the money is sucked out of it due to the big names leaving for good?

I suppose the Premier league would be a watered down version of what it is, with super league clubs playing "reserve" sides whilst saving their best players for midweek.

Not saying I prefer this option but would it be worth letting the greedy fuchs have their way in order for the rest of us to survive?

No. No it wouldn't. 

Tbh I think if the players revolted they'd then have to sign for clubs not in the super league so the glory boys would just latch on to what would end up being 'the new big 6' 

1 minute ago, Finnaldo said:

We’ve got to be hoping on Rashford and Klopp to speak up soon surely? 

Hmm. Let's see what these self-appointed social justice warriors are really made of when it's their own livelihoods on the line...

• Like 4

The TV stations are surely the real issue here. If both Sky, BBC, Amazon and ESPN refuse to show these games then the project is dead in the water. If the papers start dealing with it like glorified friendlies and place them below rugby league and darts in the pecking order that would help. It's curious that the BBC are having lots of football chairmen and supporters all damning the scheme - let's see if the BBC put their money where their mouth is and refuse to have anything to do with it.

Lots of people cancelling their Sky subscriptions would help - but they are not going to do that. 

You can guarantee that if this did happen, then you'd even end up with a tiered system within that league.  Anyone seriously suggesting that Real Madrid would be happy to have an equal share of revenue than Spurs or Porto (if they're in)?  These "big" Champions League games are only big because they happen infrequently and carry a stature as a spectacle.  It's what makes the world cup so unbelievably special, the infrequency of it.

Not sure if this is an appropriate example, but I only bother to watch NFL from the playoffs onward.  Where I'm going with this, is that the global casual fan that this league is aimed at, will probably end up being equally indifferent to the first stage of the competition and only tune in for the knockouts.   Long term, surely that just puts them back to where we are now?  They've already, disgracefully, won a concession on getting places in the Champions League for the clubs that fail to qualify on merit which is the protection they're after.

My last gripe is the media and journalists on this.  There is collective outrage given that's the zeitgeist.  However, the moment this thing launches, these same journalists and broadcasters will be begging to cover this if it happens.  Will Gary Neville and Sky (or Amazon) cover this?  Course they will.

24 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

and thats where the structure falls over isn't it??

because those clubs won't participate in the CL.... and those clubs who get invited, don't get much of the revenue from the SL..... what a mess they've created.

Absolutely. But I think it will be the Champions league that falls apart here more than domestic leagues. i don't believe for a minute that these clubs will be kicked out of domestic leagues. Those domestic "brands" depend upon them for revenue. Spanish football with the two madrid teams and Barcelona is reduced to a second rate league in reality with little appetite from broadcasters to pay for it.

You're right what a mess.

I suspect that there is a chance for compromise if these clubs were 100% guaranteed Champion's league football and a bigger slice of that financial cake without being dependent on their status in their domestic leagues. Which of course would pretty much prevent any side like us ever progressing.

In years to come our title triumph will probably be seen as the tipping point.

Edited by reynard

So the prize in the ESL is 300m per Club?    If, as one of the Top 4 (and two Bridesmaids) you are kicked out of the EPL -  Loss including gate money say 160M.   For the Top 4 you will also be excluded from the UCL -  Loss 50-60M?     Loss of 'Domestic' Advertising Revenue ?  So the gain is 90M+ which will pis*ed away on wages no doubt. This surely only makes sense if you are allowed to stay in the EPL?   Kick them out.

Surely Mourinho's sacking must be connected to this. He's always seen himself as separate from the ruling clique of football. Would love to see him come out all guns blazing against this 

Edited by what?

2 minutes ago, thursday_next said:

The TV stations are surely the real issue here. If both Sky, BBC, Amazon and ESPN refuse to show these games then the project is dead in the water. If the papers start dealing with it like glorified friendlies and place them below rugby league and darts in the pecking order that would help. It's curious that the BBC are having lots of football chairmen and supporters all damning the scheme - let's see if the BBC put their money where their mouth is and refuse to have anything to do with it.

Lots of people cancelling their Sky subscriptions would help - but they are not going to do that. 

I’d encourage anyone that wants to watch this is to stream via Kodi or IPTV services. Never give them a penny. 

5 minutes ago, thursday_next said:

DAZN rely heavily on German and Austria Subscriptions so the German Boycott may make them think seriously about piling in on this.

1 minute ago, splinterdream said:

mourihios sacked, now levy will go all out for Brendan and he is going to be tempted I would imagine 

why would he be tempted? likely spurs wont even be in Europe let alone the champs league. 

Forget the super league part for a minute, they will no doubt lose their best player in the summer. Spurs would be lucky to get anyone with decent calibre.