Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

Manchester United, Inter, AC Milan & Juventus all withdraw from European Clubs Association that represent all European Clubs and Agnelli & Woodward resign from UEFA roles. This plan is abhorrent, entitlement and greed of the highest order, concocted by egomaniacal money grabbers with no true concept of the game who have spent beyond their means, mismanaged their club setups and scrambling around for a way to stave off new threats from the likes of ourselves, Atalanta, Sevilla, and any others with sensible models who actually act like a ‘big’ club by proper recruitment and development like these so called ‘elite clubs’ used to do. Barcelona and Real, United in crazy amounts of debt, need a way to pay it off and maintain that cash flow, and being unchallenged is the way to get it. Never mind the lifeblood of the club, all about the money. The sad thing is even if you threaten to expel them, I really don’t think they’d care

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SydenhamFox said:

I’ve never bought the line that our owners are saints. They are very good at PR. It’s amazing how many of our fans can have their heads turned by the occasional free beer and scarf. They are hard nosed business people and I’d fully expect them to do what is best for their balance sheet. Let’s see. Hope I’m wrong. 

This. 

It's a truth that a lot get angry at due to the regard the owners are held in.

They did not come to us for the love of the club they came here as business men to make money. This they have done and been part of a tremendous journey over the last decade or so. They no doubt have i'm sure developed feelings for the club with the success it has had and of course the tragic accident of Vichai's passing would mean it is near impossible for Top to not have love for it after how the club and city reacted to the death.

That being said I do think interest number one will always be King Power and making money for that group, we the club would sit below that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

Honestly, if they are kicked out entirely and only play in their closed shop franchise, then I can see it as a positive for domestic football. European football competitions can continue with those clubs interested in actual competitive sport. 

084B4863-F94E-48EC-AE5B-6C8255DC139E.jpeg

Go on Susan, you tell em.

I have had 12 hours to digest the news. I am coming to the hope, that this goes ahead.

These clubs are signing their own death warrant. It all sounds great from a financial point of view, but the novelty will drop off.

Who wants to see the same few games every week, where there is no element of the fear of failure?

When in the mean time, we have clubs like Leicester, West Ham, Everton, Leeds, Forest, Wednesday, Newcastle, Villa, Wolves ... along with others...  who could become a top football force. I don't dislike this possibility at all.

I'd say the remaining clubs have everything to gain, and the revenue generating European clubs have everything to lose, bring it on!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

This has literally come from Barca, Madrid etc being around $1b in debt. 

It makes it amusing to think that these clubs are that in debt trying to stay ahead of the Leicester's, Wolfsburg's, Atalanta's. All operating on a smidge of the budget

• Like 2

Now is time for the Foxes Trust, I will be emailing the club telling them I expect them to vote to boot the big 6 out of the EPL, if it doesnt happen I am done with football.

But its meaningless unless 10s of thousands of others do the same thing.  Then hope fans of other clubs all do the same thing.

Edited by Chrysalis

8 minutes ago, Kilworthfox said:

I have had 12 hours to digest the news. I am coming to the hope, that this goes ahead.

These clubs are signing their own death warrant. It all sounds great from a financial point of view, but the novelty will drop off.

Who wants to see the same few games every week, where there is no element of the fear of failure?

When in the mean time, we have clubs like Leicester, West Ham, Everton, Leeds, Forest, Wednesday, Newcastle, Villa, Wolves ... along with others...  who could become a top football force. I don't dislike this possibility at all.

I'd say the remaining clubs have everything to gain, and the revenue generating European clubs have everything to lose, bring it on!

Not sure it works like that. The 'super' clubs' gambit is that they draw in the majority of the interest, branding, sponsorship and broadcasting income. 

Broadly speaking there's 2 types of football fan:

• The 'authentic' fan with an emotional, historic and potentially geographic attachment to the club
  • The 'commercial' fan, who could be / is from anywhere on the planet and only cares about seeing the 'best' players against the 'best' teams as much as possible

The ESL breakaway may well lose a sizeable majority of the 'authentics' but in terms of sheer numbers they are dwarfed by the 'commercials' who will lap this stuff up happily. And given some time, I'm not convinced the 'authentics' won't come back to watch Liverpool vs Barcelona anyhow...you're telling me they wouldn't watch, they wouldn't celebrate a last minute winner? 

In the meantime, the PL brand is destroy, either irrevocably or taking years to recover. All remaining clubs have their incomes slashed and cannot compete for players. 

Edited by Les-TA-Jon

Just now, moore_94 said:

Yet this season they have already turned down a chance to make more money, we were the only club that voted against PPV.

A brilliant move and one I was very pleased they made. However I think the comparison can't quite be made due to the size of money that would have made with that compared to this new league  is much smaller.

It's all ifs and buts and we all would hope they if ever given a shot at it would turn it down.

Let the Liverpool Red Sox and Manchester Buccaneers go off and do their own thing, but exclude them from all domestic and international tournaments and insist that any player signing for them will not be considered for their respective national teams. It will then be flooded by mercenaries or inferior players.

It cannot be allowed for these teams to monopolise football and ensure they remain this level, they will have permanent access to an extremely lucrative tournament... how can it be fair they can than utilise that financial power anywhere else in football.

As Roy Hodgson once said... Bin!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

This. 

It's a truth that a lot get angry at due to the regard the owners are held in.

They did not come to us for the love of the club they came here as business men to make money. This they have done and been part of a tremendous journey over the last decade or so. They no doubt have i'm sure developed feelings for the club with the success it has had and of course the tragic accident of Vichai's passing would mean it is near impossible for Top to not have love for it after how the club and city reacted to the death.

That being said I do think interest number one will always be King Power and making money for that group, we the club would sit below that.

I'm sorry but they are very good at keeping people on their side and although they aren't just a huge charity like a footballing Mother Teresa they know that there's no possible way to package this up as a good news sandwich to our fans and they'd reluctantly give it amiss. Or agree and then sell us quickly and scurry off hahahaa.

1 minute ago, SemperEadem said:

A brilliant move and one I was very pleased they made. However I think the comparison can't quite be made due to the size of money that would have made with that compared to this new league  is much smaller.

It's all ifs and buts and we all would hope they if ever given a shot at it would turn it down.

If there's any club that would turn it down it would be ours.  I fully expect them to aswell. 

I just pray our owners haven't been bought off to support this.

Some great points made this morning.  The Premier League TV money will absolutely tank even if the 6 stay in.  They'll treat the "Premier" League as a reserve league.  They won't worry about a decline in TV revenue from the Premier League because they are GUARANTEED billions from their new league.  Meanwhile the rest of us will be forced to complete in a completely meaningless competition for a LOT less money.  It will just become a feeder system.

What would even be the ****ing point?  

From the Guardian: 

"Peter Walker, our political correspondent, emails as follows: “Oliver Dowden, the culture secretary, is to make a statement to the Commons on Monday afternoon, probably at about 5pm. It is understood that officials in the Department for Culture, Media and Sport are examining what powers the government might have to stop the plan, and what action it could take.

...Options believed to be under consideration include taking action under competition laws, and wider reforms, for example guaranteeing fans a greater say in the running of clubs and the wider sport.”

This could really blow up in these clubs' faces. 

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 4

PL and the FA need to move fast. Don’t allow them to set their plan into motion. 

I stand by what I said. 50-100 point deduction for all six clubs. Relegate all six clubs to the championship and then let 6 clubs come up to the PL. if they want out, then let them have it, on our terms though. **** them over. 

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

PL and the FA need to move fast. Don’t allow them to set their plan into motion. 

I stand by what I said. 50-100 point deduction for all six clubs. Relegate all six clubs to the championship and then let 6 clubs come up to the PL. if they want out, then let them have it, on our terms though. **** them over. 

Be one hell of a morning at their offices that's for sure.