Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LestaLad

Robin Gosens (unconfirmed)

Still can't quite get my head around the idea of Justin not starting for us next season (when fit) and Thomas being 3rd choice LB!

I would have said the same about Ricardo not starting though, so it's a crazy world! 

8 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Still can't quite get my head around the idea of Justin not starting for us next season (when fit) and Thomas being 3rd choice LB!

I would have said the same about Ricardo not starting though, so it's a crazy world! 

As amazing as Thomas has been, I still have the feeling he needs a loan. Unless we have decided he will be first choice. I guess this will depend on if we bring someone in. 

Id personally like to see if we could get him a loan in Germany, they seem to develop young talent really well and the standard would be good. 

I just don’t see him reaching his full potential if he’s only getting 10 games a season. Maybe less if we get lucky with injuries. 

1 minute ago, ToeKneeHandCock said:

I doubt that. Atalanta don’t pay high wages. Sure he was rumoured to be on around 30k

He is probably demanding 80 grand a week from us . Good player but we can do without.

1 minute ago, Verumex said:

So you have no idea what you're talking about and making grand assumptions based on other assumptions.

Thanks for your input. 

It's not an assumption but we're all getting excited about a link from a relatively unknown source - Fabrizio has now distanced himself from Gosens and is saying 'left back', it's very unlikely it's this guy - trust me. He's got big options out there - he's Germany's first choice left back and will likely wait till post the euros to see what options he has.

43 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I don't think he's coming even if we get champions league from what i've heard - wages massive and we've not pursued it.

I doubt he is on massive wages coming from Atalanta? 

31 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

As amazing as Thomas has been, I still have the feeling he needs a loan. Unless we have decided he will be first choice. I guess this will depend on if we bring someone in. 

Id personally like to see if we could get him a loan in Germany, they seem to develop young talent really well and the standard would be good. 

I just don’t see him reaching his full potential if he’s only getting 10 games a season. Maybe less if we get lucky with injuries. 

He was just one of the best players in an FA Cup Final? 

Why would he not be in our first team squad? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

He is probably demanding 80 grand a week from us . Good player but we can do without.

I think he’d be good value at that price. A lot depends on Ricardo. If he can’t get back to his previous level then I think we need a top class full back still 

16 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

£80k a week for a player of Gosens quality would be a great deal

You can get away with paying players like Soyuncu, Fofana, Maddison etc. less than £50k a week on their initial contracts when they have something to prove

But when you try to get a player like Gosens who is already highly regarded, proven, and being chased by some of the biggest clubs in football a wage of £80k is very low to what it could be

Edited by moore_94

12 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I doubt he is on massive wages coming from Atalanta? 

Hes 27 next year, the last time we signed a player of the age of 26 was Perez. You're likely to see someone younger - ismael jakobs could be one. Thomas' rapid development might make the club think they're better off focusing on an attacking player rather than a left back as the big signing.

Atalanta have the option to extend his contract by a year (until 2023) so can ask for more money/keep hold of him for another year, this will most likely be why the rumours about him have died down, with us needing to improve other positions I imagine we are probably put off paying another €10-15m on top of what we have already offered

http://sportwitness.co.uk/not-enough-leicester-city-need-submit-improved-offer-secure-signing/

‘It is not enough’ – Leicester City need to submit improved offer to secure signing

Robin Gosens has been linked with multiple Premier League clubs in recent months, with Leicester City easily the side with the strongest claims.

The 26-year-old has a contract with the Serie A club lasting until June 2022, but they’re not under the pressure that would suggest. Atalanta have an option to extend Gosens’ deal by a further season, meaning that in practical terms they’ve got him secured until 2023.

That means they’re in a strong position and perhaps confident that Gosens’ value isn’t going to drop too much should they keep him for a further season. He’s scored 11 goals, and assisted six more in Serie A this season, playing as a wing-back or on the left side of midfield, so has the statistics to back up the hype.

L’Eco di Bergamo, a newspaper local to the Italian club, report the German international will only be sold should a huge offer arrive, and of Leicester City’s effort they say: ‘It is not enough’

The Foxes are thought to have presented a bid worth €25m, and Atalanta want €35-40m.

Despite presenting all of this from the perspective of the Bergamo club, the article doesn’t completely shut the door on a move. And should a club hit that €35-40m level, which would be thought to be a ‘monstrous offer’, then it sounds like a deal can be done.

So it’s over to the FA Cup winners to decide whether they feel Gosens is worth the extra effort. Borussia Dortmund are also interested.

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 2

No Grumpy Germans please.   I am surrounded by grumpy racist Austrians (no offence Christian you are a fantastic exception) and Gosens may not be good for dressing room ambience.  Towels spread out every where.

2 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Atalanta have the option to extend his contract by a year (until 2023) so can ask for more money/keep hold of him for another year, this will most likely be why the rumours about him have died down, can't imagine we will pay that kind of money for him

http://sportwitness.co.uk/not-enough-leicester-city-need-submit-improved-offer-secure-signing/

‘It is not enough’ – Leicester City need to submit improved offer to secure signing

Robin Gosens has been linked with multiple Premier League clubs in recent months, with Leicester City easily the side with the strongest claims.

The 26-year-old has a contract with the Serie A club lasting until June 2022, but they’re not under the pressure that would suggest. Atalanta have an option to extend Gosens’ deal by a further season, meaning that in practical terms they’ve got him secured until 2023.

That means they’re in a strong position and perhaps confident that Gosens’ value isn’t going to drop too much should they keep him for a further season. He’s scored 11 goals, and assisted six more in Serie A this season, playing as a wing-back or on the left side of midfield, so has the statistics to back up the hype.

L’Eco di Bergamo, a newspaper local to the Italian club, report the German international will only be sold should a huge offer arrive, and of Leicester City’s effort they say: ‘It is not enough’

The Foxes are thought to have presented a bid worth €25m, and Atalanta want €35-40m.

Despite presenting all of this from the perspective of the Bergamo club, the article doesn’t completely shut the door on a move. And should a club hit that €35-40m level, which would be thought to be a ‘monstrous offer’, then it sounds like a deal can be done.

So it’s over to the FA Cup winners to decide whether they feel Gosens is worth the extra effort. Borussia Dortmund are also interested.

We won't spend that much on him. As good as he is this is too much for us.

23 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

As I said it depends on where Brendan sees him fitting. If he sees him as first choice or at least in contention then he should absolutely stay. 

If however the plan is get Ricardo to full fitness and move Tim to the left, until JJ returns... or to sign either Bertrand of gossens then it will be in everyone’s best interest to let him go somewhere to play a full season and develop. 

It’s not a snide on him, but last season he was good as well and still found himself at the back of the pecking order. 

Who knows what Brendan’s thinking 🤔 

26 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

If we are in the champions league (and perhaps even if we are only in the europa league), we pretty much need two - first team capable players at each position. I'm perfectly happy playing Gosens in the champions league midweek and then Thomas on the weekend in the premier league. 

Justin might also be called on to be a 3rd CB if we play 5 at the back, so then we'd have -

CB - Evans, Fofana, Soyuncu, Justin, and probably a transfer CB

LB - Gosens, Thomas

RB - Castagne, Pereira

19 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

He is a fantastic player but I don't really see the sense in taking €35-40m out of our budget for a LB when we have arguable one the best performing LBs in the league in James Justin (when he played) and also in Luke Thomas, someone who not only didn't look out of place in an FA Cup final, but was also one of the standout performers. Between them and with the option of Castagne as well, I'd rather put our budget to other use if Gosens is going to cost €35-40m

• Like 4

Our club record signing just banged in one of the most iconic goals in our club's history to win us a cup we all dreamed of. This player is sensational and well worth the same amount of money IMO. 80K a week for Gosens is a bargain; Ben Chilwell is on a reported 190k at Chelsea (!).

We live in a Covid economy so I can totally understand if we pass up on the player due to a high price. Atalanta are also completely within their rights to charge a premium for a player that is undoubtedly world class. 

But I hope we get him. Thomas will still play 15-20 games. JJ will be used in about 8 different positions just like he was this season, and be good in all of them. This is a player that can take the team up another level again. maybe making qualifying for the Champions League less of a banana skin. This guy and Ricardo on either side is potentially better than Robertson and Alexander-Arnold.   

• Like 3

Just now, StriderHiryu said:

Our club record signing just banged in one of the most iconic goals in our club's history to win us a cup we all dreamed of. This player is sensational and well worth the same amount of money IMO. 80K a week for Gosens is a bargain; Ben Chilwell is on a reported 190k at Chelsea (!).

We live in a Covid economy so I can totally understand if we pass up on the player due to a high price. Atalanta are also completely within their rights to charge a premium for a player that is undoubtedly world class. 

But I hope we get him. Thomas will still play 15-20 games. JJ will be used in about 8 different positions just like he was this season, and be good in all of them. This is a player that can take the team up another level again. maybe making qualifying for the Champions League less of a banana skin. This guy and Ricardo on either side is potentially better than Robertson and Alexander-Arnold.   

Castagne? I rate him so highly! 

8 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Castagne? I rate him so highly! 

Is a brilliant player, but I think Ricardo gets ahead of him in that position.

But in the 3412, Brendan is using Castagne as a RCB, and I think he, JJ and Fofana will continue to be used like this. In that role, they are being asked to support the attack and offering an overload / 2v1 on that side of the pitch. I made a joke after the early games in the season that our line up would be Ricardo and Castagne as Right backs in the same team, but that's actually what we've been doing! Well sort of. You can get them both in the same team and working together. JJ as a LCB was brilliant the couple of times he did this also.

We as fans need to move away from thinking about our best XI and more about the squad as a whole. Youri played 47 games already this season. We need strength and depth in all positions to be able to keep placing high in the table and challenge for cups. Honestly to be 3rd and win a cup already is incredible, in some ways more impressive even than 15/16. If we had more depth to handle out injuries, we'd already have qualified for the Champions League because we've been good enough. Injuries to Barnes, JJ, Maddison at the wrong time hurt us badly.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Atalanta have the option to extend his contract by a year (until 2023) so can ask for more money/keep hold of him for another year, this will most likely be why the rumours about him have died down, with us needing to improve other positions I imagine we are probably put off paying another €10-15m on top of what we have already offered

An option for a year's extension to his contract to 2023 is a game changer.

Just now, Gerard said:

An option for a year's extension to his contract to 2023 is a game changer.

Keep him for another year or (as they have done) wack a premium on his cost

I can see us backing off and being interested again next summer (if he is still at Atalanta)

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Agree with you til the last sentence. Even with the bluest of blue tinted specs, Trent and Robertson are still better and probably the best full back pairing in the world. It would be phenomenal to have him join and almost certainly cement wingbacks as our future formation. Regardless, exciting times! 

2 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

He worth probably around 120k a week if being honest a brilliant solid player we really need.

If you only think he is good you really need to watch some games he plays he is outstanding