Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

5 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Why are Wolves going after Bruno Lage ? He looks like he flopped at Benfica. It will be interesting to see how they do next year. Especially if they lose Neves as well.

Did he? He had a bad run the following season, but he won the league from 7 points behind the leaders when he was appointed, winning 18 of 19 games, scoring 103 goals. 

I'm not saying that he's gonna be a success but he had a much better record at Porto than Nuno did. Bringing someone like Joao Felix into Benfica’s side obviously helped but he also brought through other players too. 

Bruno.jpg

Edited by The Bear

25 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

If Chelsea sign Hakimi, they're a serious force next season. 

I think they'll be a serious force anyway tbf. I reckon Werner will score 20 or so, combine that with Tuchel being there from the start and I can see them being in the top 2 for sure.

They'll probably end up 6th now like but yeah lol

10 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I think they'll be a serious force anyway tbf. I reckon Werner will score 20 or so, combine that with Tuchel being there from the start and I can see them being in the top 2 for sure.

They'll probably end up 6th now like but yeah lol

Oh for sure they'll be there or there abouts. But having Hakimi in rotation with James, and the possibility of having James at RCB without losing the attacking intent could be incredibly strong. 

40 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Did he? He had a bad run the following season, but he won the league from 7 points behind the leaders when he was appointed, winning 18 of 19 games, scoring 103 goals. 

I'm not saying that he's gonna be a success but he had a much better record at Porto than Nuno did. Bringing someone like Joao Felix into Benfica’s side obviously helped but he also brought through other players too. 

Bruno.jpg

The bad run was the worst in Benfica’s history like 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Bruno.jpg

You might be right but the run at the end is concerning given the league and the size of the club. Wolves might do well under him. From the outside it just feels like they’re changing direction. Jota leaving last year, Neves potentially this year. They’ve replaced good players with players with a lot of potential and sort of lost some momentum. Think it’s a key season for Wolves and their ambitions. 

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Talking of Wolves, drove past the area near Molineux around 11ish. Some muppet walking down the road - Wolves shirt, bright Orange wig and Orange facemask on. 

Every club has em

i can imagine the Bear being this person walking around Molineux all day logged onto foxestalk 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

If Chelsea sign Hakimi, they're a serious force next season. 

Why are Chelsea paying £50m+ for another full back when they already have James, Chilwell, Azpilicueta, Alonso and Emerson? It doesn't make sense. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1

Just now, The Bear said:

Why are Chelsea paying £50m+ for another full back when they already have James, Chilwell, Azpilicueta, Alonso and Emerson. It doesn't make sense. 

Because it's Chelsea, and Chelsea throw money at everything. They spent £70mill on Kepa and a further £30m on Mendy. 

I'd assume it's their forward planning of selling Emerson/Alonso and slowly transitioning past Azpi since James has shown he can play that RCB role. But I think it is just because a decent player has become available and they're buying them before a rival does. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Why are Chelsea paying £50m+ for another full back when they already have James, Chilwell, Azpilicueta, Alonso and Emerson? It doesn't make sense. 

They'll want rid of Alonso and Emerson, Azpilicueta is not getting any younger and will play more as a right sided CB, and a 5 atb system is demanding on the wingbacks. 

Hakimi plays both sides. Makes perfect sense to me.

Edited by martyn

43 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The bad run was the worst in Benfica’s history like 

The general consensus amongst Benfica fans that I can see on social media is that he's a good coach, they really loved his start at the club, they were playing great football. 

They blame the club more than him for the collapse, think he was poorly treated as was the squad. 

They do think he's inexperienced, has a lot to learn and lost the dressing room. But they wish him well and think he'll turn out to be an excellent manager. 

• Like 1

@The BearWhat are your thoughts on your new manager?

I can see why Wolves have gone for him, but it seems like a very brave decision. Wolves remind me of where we were a few years ago, after survival and then a breakout season, we got figured out and it was time to evolve our play. We needed to move on older stalwarts and blood younger players, which happened during the Puel era, who was possibly the most unpopular manager we've had in over a decade. Then finally Rodgers came in and the upturn was complete. It seems like Wolves are skipping the Puel step and trying to go for Portuguese Rodgers right away! NES did brilliantly for Wolves, but boy was his team boring to watch. The new man could change all that, but it remains to be seen if players like Fabio Silva, Et Nouri, etc can carry the club. Players like Coady, Moutinho and Jimenez probably need to have good seasons to help the transition.

To be fair, it probably works spectacularly, either good or bad. Definitely not a half-assed decision for sure, which I respect. An interesting appointment for sure!

32 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Of that list, James is going to be an RCB and RWB, Azpi will be his backup, Alonso and Chilwell are left sided and Emerson is going to Inter as part of the deal..... so makes sense really.

13 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

@The BearWhat are your thoughts on your new manager?

I can see why Wolves have gone for him, but it seems like a very brave decision. Wolves remind me of where we were a few years ago, after survival and then a breakout season, we got figured out and it was time to evolve our play. We needed to move on older stalwarts and blood younger players, which happened during the Puel era, who was possibly the most unpopular manager we've had in over a decade. Then finally Rodgers came in and the upturn was complete. It seems like Wolves are skipping the Puel step and trying to go for Portuguese Rodgers right away! NES did brilliantly for Wolves, but boy was his team boring to watch. The new man could change all that, but it remains to be seen if players like Fabio Silva, Et Nouri, etc can carry the club. Players like Coady, Moutinho and Jimenez probably need to have good seasons to help the transition.

To be fair, it probably works spectacularly, either good or bad. Definitely not a half-assed decision for sure, which I respect. An interesting appointment for sure!

It's a risk for sure given he doesn't have much managing experience, but he also has years of coaching as assistant manager under his belt in England as well. 

He's clearly the guy they have chosen from Mendes' stable who has a reputation for playing good football. It could be good, could be shite. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Of that list, James is going to be an RCB and RWB, Azpi will be his backup, Alonso and Chilwell are left sided and Emerson is going to Inter as part of the deal..... so makes sense really.

I'm yet to see Reece James have a very good game for Chelsea at RCB or even RWB under Tuchel. Think he flatters to deceive.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm yet to see Reece James have a very good game for Chelsea at RCB or even RWB under Tuchel. Think he flatters to deceive.

Thought he played Vardy out of the game in both the Cup Final and subsequent league game in the RCB role personally :sweating:

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

TBF England had 73 right backs in their Euro squad, its obviously a trend???