Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

2 minutes ago, Guest said:

It's not going to end armpit offsides at all because if somebody's armpit is fractionally the wrong side of this magic, thick new line, he's still going to be offside and people are still going to be upset about it. You can make the line as thick as you want but there's still going to be an arbitrary point where 1mm one side of it you're on, 1mm the other side you're off.

It will make a difference as it should bring the amount of offsides back down to pre-VAR levels.

Attackers can only try and stay level. They aren’t going to behave differently because of this margin for error so it will result in less disallowed goals due to offside.

Yes there will be tight calls with this margin of error, but if they are judged to be offside with a margin of error included you’ll know for certain they were offside. Whereas currently it’s too dependent on what frame they’ve chosen to draw the lines from, which is very often not when the player has made contact with the ball.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Ricey said:

It will make a difference as it should bring the amount of offsides back down to pre-VAR levels.

Attackers can only try and stay level. They aren’t going to behave differently because of this margin for error so it will result in less disallowed goals due to offside.

Yes there will be tight calls with this margin of error, but if they are judged to be offside with a margin of error included you’ll know for certain they were offside. Whereas currently it’s too dependent on what frame they’ve chosen to draw the lines from, which is very often not when the player has made contact with the ball.

Oh yeah it's still a positive change, won't deny that, but if the hope is that it's going to prevent marginal decisions then I don't think it's going to do so, nor can I see how it's possible to do so.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Sorry if I’m being stupid but I don’t get how thicker lines is going to change anything if they are still measuring from the same point 

Also in that article it mentions that referee chiefs have been asked to “raise the bar” for penalties so fouls have to be more clear cut 

I assume this will mean even less penalties given out 

• Like 1

I've been advocating that from the start. It's a fairly obvious amendment as mentioned.

Yes you're still judging where a line is but the relative distance of offside will increase to something which is much easier to accept with the naked eye.

If they made the lines 6 inches thick you wouldn't be saying "ah but it's just moving the microscope", because you can see much clearer with the naked eye that any decision is justified.

Of course you might get ones that are microscopically onside that people will say still looks off. But that is a matter of judging the thickness of the line correctly to reduce that as much as possible to a sensible middle ground.

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Sorry if I’m being stupid but I don’t get how thicker lines is going to change anything if they are still measuring from the same point 

Also in that article it mentions that referee chiefs have been asked to “raise the bar” for penalties so fouls have to be more clear cut 

think about the offsides you’ve seen with the lines and the tiny gaps between the blue and red. If the lines are thicker then that area of uncertainty now falls beneath the thicker line and the striker will be onside more. the thinner the lines, the more likely you are to get very thin gaps between them. 

13 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

They won’t be measuring from the same point. The attacking line will be the same but due to the defensive line being thicker the attacking player will now need to be a few inches closer to goal to be offside.

That will mean less offsides and more certainty that something measured as offside is in fact offside.

Edited by Ricey

I think a lot will depend on how they do it. In Holland if the two final lines, i.e not the thin lines they use to measure and set the defensive and attacking lines, are touching them they go with the onfield decision. This can mean VAR proving someone is offside but if the lines touch and the linesman called it as offside then it will stay as offside, which isn’t great.

Personally I would only make the defensive line a few cm’s thicker. If the attacking line is touching the defensive line then it will be called as onside. That should bring things back to level of pre-VAR, when decisions were made purely with the naked eye, and allow margin of error for the frame rate issue.

25 minutes ago, Ricey said:

They won’t be measuring from the same point. The attacking line will be the same but due to the defensive line being thicker the attacking player will now need to be a few inches closer to goal to be offside.

That will mean less offsides and more certainty that something measured as offside is in fact offside.

So only the defending line is being made thicker? If so then I get it but I didn’t get that impression from the few news articles I had read

8 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

So only the defending line is being made thicker? If so then I get it but I didn’t get that impression from the few news articles I had read

Even if they make them both thicker and use the rule that if they are touching it’s onside then it will result in less offsides.

4 hours ago, jammie82uk said:

Exactly this.

You could make the lines 10 metres thick, but the 5mm someone is offside by will still be the same.

The lines will still overlap.

The only way this would affect anything is if the defenders line is thicker than the attackers line.

6 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Buendia isn't really worth £33m.

£20m, at most, to be honest.

I was also trying to work out what all the hype was about . This is the same guy who blew the championship away before being completely unimpressive in the prem. 

Of course he could adapt better this time around but he is far from a sure thing. 

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

I was also trying to work out what all the hype was about . This is the same guy who blew the championship away before being completely unimpressive in the prem. 

Of course he could adapt better this time around but he is far from a sure thing. 

He didn’t score many for Norwich last time in the PL but he did make seven assists 

5 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Exactly this.

You could make the lines 10 metres thick, but the 5mm someone is offside by will still be the same.

The lines will still overlap.

The only way this would affect anything is if the defenders line is thicker than the attackers line.

The point is that they will be 5mm offside beyond 10 cms. At the moment they are 5mm offside ... 

and no one knows if that freezeframe is accurate so they may well be onside ....with a thicker line it will be definitely offside. 

11 hours ago, don_danbury said:

exactly. the only thing they bottled that season was second place. 

The irony of us joining in with the Spurs bottle rhetoric is that we're actually disrespecting ourselves unintentionally.

The whole meme is built around the belief that little Leicester were too shit to win it and one of the big clubs inevitably would, it's built around the belief that even Poch has vocalised that Tottenham were supposed to win that year. That it was their title, but for this "bottle."

We were just the better team, we were always ahead, win the league by ten points, beat them at their own gaff keeping a clean sheet, went and smashed Man City at theirs. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

The irony of us joining in with the Spurs bottle rhetoric is that we're actually disrespecting ourselves unintentionally.

The whole meme is built around the belief that little Leicester were too shit to win it and one of the big clubs inevitably would, it's built around the belief that even Poch has vocalised that Tottenham were supposed to win that year. That it was their title, but for this "bottle."

We were just the better team, we were always ahead, win the league by ten points, beat them at their own gaff keeping a clean sheet, went and smashed Man City at theirs. 

Yeah it drives me mad! That along with 'Chelsea won it for ya'. Pisses me right off

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

He wasn't unimpressive in the Prem, he was one of their better players alongside Cantwell and Pukki. 

In fact I'm pretty sure he got more assists than Maddison.

His output will probably be better now he's got better players around him at Villa.

32 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

He wasn't unimpressive in the Prem, he was one of their better players alongside Cantwell and Pukki. 

In fact I'm pretty sure he got more assists than Maddison.

His output will probably be better now he's got better players around him at Villa.

If I remember correctly he also played very well in two games against us.

• Like 1