Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Matheus Pereira

5 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Down with things like this!

Why? Sell Madders for £70m, replace him for £25m and someone who can stay fit for the season (well aware we sign him and he does his cruciate in training now).

Guest ttfn
3 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Think the one thing our squad is loaded with is pace to be honest. Don't think it's a deal breaker. Vardy, Daka, Barnes, Justin, Fofana, Soyuncu and to a lesser extent, Castagne, Ricardo and Iheanacho are all quick.

Vardy is not especially quick anymore, we saw this time and again at the end of last season. He’s not slow but I wouldn’t say his pace is a particular asset at this point.

We really suffered from a lack of pace up front at the end of last season after Barnes got injured. In fact I’d say that was the number 1 reason our football became so dull at the end of last season, we just didn’t have the armoury to punish sides playing a high line. Even Newcastle played a high line against us, three months earlier that would have been suicidal. Justin and Barnes getting injured at the same time was a disaster.

Daka will definitely help in that regard but I don’t think this is a squad blessed with pace in attacking positions. Agree we are faster than most in defence.

3 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Why? Sell Madders for £70m, replace him for £25m and someone who can stay fit for the season (well aware we sign him and he does his cruciate in training now).

Because - with luck - we are about to get a truly devastating season out of James Maddison. I'd rather that was for us than someone else, and then we can ask Manure or whoever to stump up £80M+ for him, if that's what he's aiming for.

Just now, Steve Earle said:

Because - with luck - we are about to get a truly devastating season out of James Maddison. I'd rather that was for us than someone else, and then we can ask Manure or whoever to stump up £80M+ for him, if that's what he's aiming for.

I obviously hope you are right, I honestly do, but I think doing the above is maybe a bit more sensible. Happily call me a nob when you are proven right.

3 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Vardy is not especially quick anymore, we saw this time and again at the end of last season. He’s not slow but I wouldn’t say his pace is a particular asset at this point.

We really suffered from a lack of pace up front at the end of last season after Barnes got injured. In fact I’d say that was the number 1 reason our football became so dull at the end of last season, we just didn’t have the armoury to punish sides playing a high line. Even Newcastle played a high line against us, three months earlier that would have been suicidal. Justin and Barnes getting injured at the same time was a disaster.

Daka will definitely help in that regard but I don’t think this is a squad blessed with pace in attacking positions. Agree we are faster than most in defence.

I think Vardy was struggling with his groin/hip. We'll see how he gets on this season after he's rested up. Hopefully it was just a niggle he didn't have the time to shake.

2 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

It’s delusional to think we can replace Maddison for 25 million and remain as competitive as we’ve been and want to be. Fans are intentionally forgetting how good Maddison is because of his covid beach and showy personality. It’s increasingly tiresome.

That’s a bizarre statement, how much did we pay for Maddison?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Think the one thing our squad is loaded with is pace to be honest. Don't think it's a deal breaker. Vardy, Daka, Barnes, Justin, Fofana, Soyuncu and to a lesser extent, Castagne, Ricardo and Iheanacho are all quick.

Pace was a problem back end of the season though without Barnes and Justin, we had very little bar Vardy who doesn't use it quite as devastatingly as before. Daka and Sowah have already added to our options which is good.

24 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Seen a few people mention him as the winger, in reality I think he is our Maddison replacement.

His best position is wide right but being able to play as a 10 is a huge bonus for us.

17 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

It’s delusional to think we can replace Maddison for 25 million and remain as competitive as we’ve been and want to be. Fans are intentionally forgetting how good Maddison is because of his covid beach and showy personality. It’s increasingly tiresome.

Pereira scored more goals than Maddison last season and was in a side that got relegated.

50 minutes ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

There! Fixed it for you…

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Don't care, there's not a single word Americans use that we don't that benefits what we already use. Maybe I'm being overly harsh but Americanisation of sport is not a good thing at all and the language used makes my skin crawl, probably as a result. Stick your foam fingers and rosters up your Fanny.

Now It's fixed!! :crylaugh:

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Pereira scored more goals than Maddison last season and was in a side that got relegated.

And Perez scored 8 goals at Newcastle. Didn’t translate here though.

Peak Maddison is  one of the best ACM's in the premiership in fact only Fernandes is obviously better. He is valued at 60 million at his best. Pereira is valued at 30 million so of course he isn't as good but he is still a very good player and he is stronger than Maddison which is an area we have struggled with.

• Like 1

Just now, An Sionnach said:

Peak Maddison is  one of the best ACM's in the premiership in fact only Fernandes is obviously better. He is valued at 60 million at his best. Pereira is valued at 30 million so of course he isn't as good but he is still a very good player and he is stronger than Maddison which is an area we have struggled with.

Added to this Maddison has an England premium. If Pereira came here and increased his performances further, whose to say he wouldn't be valued at £60m in a couple of years. To some extent buying Maddison for £20+m was a gamble. He may have turned out average.

4 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

And Perez scored 8 goals at Newcastle. Didn’t translate here though.

Perhaps if he played off the striker like he did at Newcastle.

My point though, if 25m/30m for Pereia isn't to be sniffed at and can provide us with strength. I don't think Maddison is superior to him like you are suggesting.

25 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Absolutely not if we strengthen in other areas. When healthy, Maddison is great. On top of his abilities, his intelligence is difficult to replace; however, you might be intentionally forgetting how difficult of a season Madders had when he was having fitness problems. :P

No way we’re going to sign him to another big contract if we have concerns over his hip— this might be the window where both parties can get the most out of a deal (transfer fee for the club; big pay increase for Madders).

23 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

That’s a bizarre statement, how much did we pay for Maddison?

And now Maddison is worth about 60 million. Pereira is worth 25 million. Pereira is a year older.

I’d be happy to have Pereira in the squad but not at the expense of Maddison.

• Like 1