Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Group A: Turkey, Italy, Wales, Switzerland

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

If we win our group is it likely we play Italy next?

No we play second from the “group of death” if we win our group. 

• Like 1

Guest StevieLynex
3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

If we win our group is it likely we play Italy next?

No, likely to be Portugal or Germany - assuming France top that group

1 hour ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Switzerland, Sweden, Denmark and the likes - the lesser northern European sides - all fall in the category of defensive, dull sides who usually qualify, defend in numbers, bore the life out of neutrals and go home. Rinse and repeat. Wouldn't be fussed to never see any of them in a world cup or euros again unless they come with a more exciting game plan.

42 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Not true. Much smaller nations play a more expansive game. Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Bosnia and co are hardly footballing superpowers but don't just come to defend and nick a goal from a set piece. I'd rather watch an Eastern European minnow over a northern European one every day of the week.

A few things here...

Firstly, I would never have classed Denmark as a defensive side. Ironically, the time they actually won, they were very defensive.
Under Hareide, I will admit that the football was quite pragmatic, but after 15 years with Morten Olsen's possession-based philosophy, supporters did not mind the more direct style, especially as Hareide impressively went unbeaten in more than three years.

Sweden have had some fantastic sides throughout the years (I remember '94 fondly), but a genuine dearth of talent besides Zlatan has inhibited their playing style.

Then there's Belgium and Netherlands as 'lesser Northern European' sides, who surely don't fall into that bracket of yours?

But fine... I'll let you have it.

However the sides you mention, besides Croatia, have been garbage for a long time. Bosnia are anything but expansive. The Czechs have been disappointing virtually since 2000s and Hungary have been the equivalent of League Two for the best part of 40-50 years. Greece were well expansive in 2004, weren't they? Ukraine are known to be a flair side...oh wait.

And finally, I find it far more forgivable that a 'lesser' nation playes compact than I do watching England, Italy, Germany or Argentina play well within their means time after time. I mean, England have easily been the most disappointing watch as a neutral for the best part of two decades now...

Edited by shen

Guest StevieLynex
1 minute ago, Parafox said:

Well. Impressive. 29 games unbeaten. Mancini. What a legend 

This is when he started to learn his trade from the Master

image.jpeg.d5219a48506cbde8929f49b171b83a20.jpeg

Just now, Col city fan said:

How I’m reading this is that Wales will qualify even if the Swiss beat Turkey and Wales don’t concede three to Italy?

I mean with 4 points you’d like to think they’d qualify 3rd regardless. 

Guest StevieLynex
1 minute ago, shen said:

A few things here...

Firstly, I would never have classed Denmark as a defensive side. Ironically, the time they actually won, they were very defensive.
Under Hareide, I will admit that the football was quite pragmatic, but after 15 years with Morten Olsen's possession-based philosophy, supporters did not mind the more direct style, especially as Hareide impressively went unbeaten in more than three years.

Sweden have had some fantastic sides throughout the years (I remember '94 fondly), but a genuine dearth of talent besides Zlatan has inhibited their playing style.

Denmark team of 1986 World Cup was brilliant to watch - Luadrup brothers, Elkjaer, Olson

2 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Wales: buy lube.

We've conceded ridiculously few goals in qualifying for the Euros and the Nations League. 

We'll lose but we stand a good chance of parking the bus and keeping the score down which should be enough to guarantee second unless Switzerland hammer Turkey and we all know Switzerland aren't hammering anyone. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StevieLynex said:

Denmark team of 1986 World Cup was brilliant to watch - Luadrup brothers, Elkjaer, Olson

As was the '98 WC with both Laudrup brothers. They ran Brazil mighty close.