Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Group A: Turkey, Italy, Wales, Switzerland

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I did think that tbh. Not sure where he was going, left himself so much to do. 

Yeah cos he was still going left even though the free kick was short. Not sure if it was planned by Italy but they made the most of it

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

Blaming Ward seems very harsh to me - almost as though it's judging him by the resulting goal, rather than giving him the ebenfit of the doubt because he's trying to cover as many bases as possible.

The likelihood of a shot going in clean to the way he was stepping is very unlikely though. I don't think he needed to step so far across but it is a very picky criticism!

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

The likelihood of a shot going in clean to the way he was stepping is very unlikely though. I don't think he needed to step so far across but it is a very picky criticism!

Who'd be a goalie? I sometimes pretended to be one, and defenders who 'knew best' were a total nightmare :) 

2 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Blaming Ward seems very harsh to me - almost as though it's judging him by the resulting goal, rather than giving him the ebenfit of the doubt because he's trying to cover as many bases as possible.

Don’t think anyone is blaming him Peaky but he was badly positioned ...   as he’s ‘one of us’ he will be under more than average scrutiny ... 

Just now, Countryfox said:

Don’t think anyone is blaming him Peaky but he was badly positioned ...   as he’s ‘one of us’ he will be under more than average scrutiny ... 

And I disagree - it's a matter of opinion I think. As I said, I think it's too easy to see the goal go in and then fit the analysis to that, pundits do it all the time.

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Out of interest, anyone know what happens if Switzerland and Wales finish with literally identical records? 

Cos that's not wildly unlikely. 

Just said on the box ..   Swiss go through on goals scored ..  

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

And I disagree - it's a matter of opinion I think. As I said, I think it's too easy to see the goal go in and then fit the analysis to that, pundits do it all the time.

He made a mistake, he anticipated the shot coming to his near post and got it wrong. 

There's no guarantee he'd have made a save regardless but its still a mistake. 

That's OK, Morrell and Williams should have stopped it getting that far and we shouldn't have given the free kick away in the first place. Don't think anyone's giving Ward any kind of abuse. Literally two of us just said he probably could have done better. Which he could have. 

:dunno:

• Like 1