Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Group D: England, Croatia, Scotland, Czech Republic

23 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Jerusalem is absolutely quality. So rousing, whether you're religious or not.

I always think Jerusalem is a bit exaggerated by a section of England fans and it baffles me when people want it sung before a football game. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a dirge (which Abide With Me definitely is) but it's also nowhere near as anthemic as its made out... which isn't surprising because its not an anthem. It wouldn't be vastly better than GSTQ (which is, let's be honest, a low bar) quite frankly. 

It's a pretty bog standard Anglican hymn, with all the structure you'd expect from one. It's got slow, gradual flow to it not anything you'd really belt out. It might sound pleasant when sung well by a crowd of middle aged white village church women but I definitely wouldn't use the word rousing.

If you really are obsessed with going all Last Night of the Proms about it, rousing is what you'd call a crowd belting out something like Rule Britannia, which would be a terrific anthem to yell out before a football match. 

Unfortunately, being 2021, there's absolutely no way (although Tbf with Boris Johnson in government nows your time) you'd get a jingoistic, patriotic, flag waving piece declared the new official anthem, regardless of the fact its no less chest thumping than half the world's established anthems. 

Edited by Finnegan

I’m not someone who obsessively hates other home nations, I hope they do alright (not as good as England obviously) but I’ve heard endless chat about how this Scotland team is quite handy yet they look completely toothless. 

Family has Czech heritage so I am hoping they win though.

2 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

I’m not someone who obsessively hates other home nations, I hope they do alright (not as good as England obviously) but I’ve heard endless chat about how this Scotland team is quite handy yet they look completely toothless. 

Family has Czech heritage so I am hoping they win though.

I’ve been to Prague twice so I’m basically 1/4 Czech. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I always think Jerusalem is a bit exaggerated by a section of England fans and it baffles me when people want it sung before a football game. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a dirge (which Abide With Me definitely is) but it's also nowhere near as anthemic as its made out... which isn't surprising because its not an anthem. It wouldn't be vastly better than GSTQ (which is, let's be honest, a low bar) quite frankly. 

It's a pretty bog standard Anglican hymn, with all the structure you'd expect from one. It's got slow, gradual flow to it not anything you'd really belt out. It might sound pleasant when sung well by a crowd of middle aged white village church women but I definitely wouldn't use the word rousing.

If you really are obsessed with going all Last Night of the Proms about it, rousing is what you'd call a crowd belting out something like Rule Britannia, which would be a terrific anthem to yell out before a football match. 

Unfortunately, being 2021, there's absolutely no way (although Tbf with Boris Johnson in government nows your time) you'd get a jingoistic, patriotic, flag waving piece declared the new official anthem, regardless of the fact its no less chest thumping than half the world's established anthems. 

Disagree with you completely there. Jerusalem sounds great when belted out at the cricket and Abide With Me had me in bits at the Cup final (probably more for personal reasons mind).

Neither a patch on the bit in your anthem where they go "Gwlad, GWLAD!!!" though. Top tier antheming, that is. Up there with "Aux AAAAAAAAAAARMES CITYOENS, FORMEEEEEEEZ LES BATTALIONS..."

12 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Tough day mate? 😂

1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

Disagree with you completely there. Jerusalem sounds great when belted out at the cricket and Abide With Me had me in bits at the Cup final (probably more for personal reasons mind).

Neither a patch on the bit in your anthem where they go "Gwlad, GWLAD!!!" though. Top tier antheming, that is. Up there with "Aux AAAAAAAAAAARMES CITYOENS, FORMEEEEEEEZ LES BATTALIONS..."

But that's exactly my point there at the end. You need a hook. You've got to have something a bunch of drunk, tone deaf nutters can scream out with some real weight behind it. 

Abide With Me has sentimental value because of its association to the cup, if it didn't and you just happened to hear it in church one day you'd fall asleep. It's dreadful. 

Like I said, I'm not suggesting Jerusalem sung by a crowd doesn't sound nice. It's a pleasant song, nice melody, easy on the ears. 

Just not an anthem. 

Bit like When You're Smiling. :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Only because it’s sang in tune 👌🏼