Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

England V Scotland Match Thread

Just now, Walkers said:

Course i'm miffed about the performance tonight, but as with every game we fail to win the reaction is ridiculous

Let’s be honest though, it wasn’t good was it? Not seen anyone go too much over the top. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Langston said:

I don't think it is, really. Hodgson's time at Liverpool was an unmitigated disaster but before that he'd taken Fulham to a European final and saved West Brom from relegation before taking them to a top 10 finish - he also had plenty of experience of international management beforehand.

I don't dispute Redknapp's stock was still *relatively* high in 2012 but it's not absurd Hodgson got the job over him - he was bloody crap as England gaffer, mind!

But Roy was the safe appointment,  proved by what you said. 

Take a bloody risk.

3 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Summed up by the powers that be dictating that John Terry could no longer be captain, but still happy for him to be on the pitch.

He probably felt that here you are, you've probably got one of your best players in the team. Now you are trying to destroy him by accusation that is yet to be confirmed as true. Rather than support him and back him. 

• Like 1

Just now, Spudulike said:

Coming second in this group is far better than winning it. 

I wouldn't go that far. It gives us an easier R16 game (probably) but then after that it would get really hard where as with winning the group we would get a hard R16 game but then the route after that looks more straight forwards. The side of the draw if we finish runners up will include both France, Belgium and Italy (if they win their groups). The side if we win will include the Netherlands and possibly Spain if they win their group plus the runner up from the group with France, Germany and Portugal (who we play in the R16). 

17 minutes ago, Walkers said:

Some England "fans" definitely take a weird amount of satisfaction when we don't win

It’s not satisfaction it’s more frustration that there is blatant quality in the attacking side of England and despite the below par performances (irrespective of results), it just gets ignored. With the current crop, England have an opportunity to be such a dynamic team and they look nothing like it.

The most satisfaction I got all night was the media (ITV) finally questioning Kane’s role. To his face and to the manager.

I don’t care if it’s controversial - but he doesn’t deliver in big games on the international stage. Fine, he’ll score in friendlies and against the likes of Panama, but he’s like Crouch - he scores when it doesn’t matter. 

We need someone who is more mobile, more dynamic. Makes runs in behind. He looks so knackered and shot at the moment as well (he’s knocked £20m off his value tonight alone). The sensible thing would be to drop him for the next game, but I bet he starts… 

• Like 4

I'm not English rather moroccan but truthfully Southgate reminds me of our manager, Vahid halizovhic. Both national teams have tons of talent but play negative terrible football. They're in the puel school as I see it. One thing is being defensive like Portugal and another thing is being negative. Not the same thing. Southgate as I've said is an English puel imo. Sure he has some good things about him but he's no game changer. Team spirit and friendships can only take you so far imo. 

Edited by NasPb
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

I wouldn't go that far. It gives us an easier R16 game (probably) but then after that it would get really hard where as with winning the group we would get a hard R16 game but then the route after that looks more straight forwards. The side of the draw if we finish runners up will include both France, Belgium and Italy (if they win their groups). The side if we win will include the Netherlands and possibly Spain if they win their group plus the runner up from the group with France, Germany and Portugal (who we play in the R16). 

Fvck it. If you're gonna win it, you've got to beat a couple of decent teams along the way.

We're living proof of that.

Our FA Cup run was relatively kind, but we still beat United and Chelsea.

England will have to beat at least a couple from Italy, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands or France.

They won't though. Because the manager has no idea.

He's so out of his depth.

I'm just wondering, after all the praise that Gary Neville heaped on Southgate after the Croatia game, would Neville be happy for Southgate to be the next Man Utd manager?

Thought not.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

To be fair a draw in our next game may well be the best result. Would finish second not first and get a much easier R16 game meaning we may go out in the quarters rather than R16!

True soon as we come up against a decent team though we will be out, even Wales would probably beat us .. we don't stand a chance against france, germany, italy even holland esp with the tatics and players he chooses. 

6 minutes ago, Langston said:

Safe perhaps but Redknapp wasn't exactly in a different bracket.

Absolutely. More of a risk for his business activities lol

Maybe they did learn a lesson from Venables, but not enough to stop them appointing Big Sam! 

Edited by tom27111
  • Haha 1

Don't think we've got the gonads to make it into the deep reaches of the tournament to tell you the truth. Mount made me incredibly angry today - 90 minutes of getting turned over and failing to beat the first man again and again (Stones header aside), then happy to go have a laugh and a giggle with Gilmour at full time.

He made you look a tool Mason. And this is the oldest rivalry in world sport. Scotland got a point because they were up for the fight, we dropped two (probably deserved to drop all three) because we treated it as a kickabout with our mates.

Honestly, besides Foden, Mings, Stones and James that was a rotten outfield performance from all involved, subs included, due entirely to being scared to break a nail against a full-blooded Scottish performance. We don't like it up us.

A lot of us under-estimated the Czechs coming into this tournament. Play like that again and never mind all this talk of an 'easier route', we could be staring down the barrel of finishing third. Newsflash - they're going to be similarly up for a scrap, and have more quality in their side too.

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1

We'd certainly need to be more creative against any team we face in the knock out stages.

Even if it's not France or Portugal.

Sweden would be as solid as Scotland were whilst Spain have that threat for example.

And we didn't exactly roll over Poland the other month at home.

I guess if we win on Tuesday this result won't matter but the performance needs to be better and they will know that.

Guest Mee-9

Woeful performance that. 

Southgate's such a negative manager. Starting to think he just fluked the World Cup and the feeling we got then. Thinking about it though there weren't many classic performances back then.

We'll go out in the round of 16. 

25 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I'm just wondering, after all the praise that Gary Neville heaped on Southgate after the Croatia game, would Neville be happy for Southgate to be the next Man Utd manager

Nev’s inability to ever criticise Ole gives you a good idea as to how this would pan out. He’s got his mates and he’s begrudged to ever give them any stick in the media. Neville loves being labelled as the controversial, tell it how it is character by sky. But in reality he’s very safe, he never strays too far from the party line. 

Edited by Manini