Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

England V Scotland Match Thread

Truthfully the best thing for England would be to bow out of this tournament as early as possible and get Southgate fired.  They're no threat to win it or any major competition as long as he's in charge.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

An absolute shower throughout and a result that while it will virtually put us through, it revealed to anybody with a brain that England are making no serious mark on this tournament. A cowardly performance from a cowardly manager.

The Euros has too big a safety net. We deserve to be under threat of elimination after that garbage.

I really loved the previous 16 teams formula. It was by far the toughest tournament after the Champions league.

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

Truthfully the best thing for England would be to bow out of this tournament as early as possible and get Southgate fired.  They're no threat to win it or any major competition as long as he's in charge.

He’s completely useless but there is no way he will be fired . Our best hope is that he gets offered a job in club football .

6 hours ago, BoyJones said:

If we play poorly against the Czech’s there’s a chance we could end up the fourth best third placed team and play, say Belgium! 

GS teams reflect his personality and ambition. Boring, no adventure, safety first, won’t play his best players and always settling for second best. Mind you, I’ve never forgiven him for bottling that penalty, so never had any faith in him. (Maybe a bit unfair considering we have missed about 12 penalties in about five losing shoot outs over the years) 

Bir off topic but you should also blame the keepers for not saving enough penalties in shootouts.

23 minutes ago, surrifox said:

He’s completely useless but there is no way he will be fired . Our best hope is that he gets offered a job in club football .

The fact he won’t, is quite telling. 

So, let's say for the purposes of argument that Southgate does deserve the chop as is being advocated here.

With that said, what realistic candidates are out there that can get this team playing in the way that it is perceived they can?

Let's talk solutions, not problems.

6 hours ago, TK95 said:

I admire your optimism

I genuinely don't think any international team has ever had a perfect tournament where you can say they blew every single team away that they played. Not going to say it'll be the same with us, but there is no way we'll play worse than that in our next couple of games imo. 

I'm surprised the Scotland players were celebrating at the final whistle. This was their big chance to bag 3 points and make a name for themselves, as England were pretty pedestrian.

That performance last night was screaming out for someone to get a hold of the ball and dictate play. Grealish is the best we have at that and his introduction was much too late. When he came on, Scotland couldn't get the ball off Grealish without fouling him, he wasn't given nearly enough time.

Rashford replacing Kane was another strange decision with a good centre forward sitting on the bench.

As for Scotland, no surprise to me they made a decent fist of it. They have some decent players and Clarke is a good manager. I think they've blown it by being happy with a draw though. Croatia will beat them at Hampden Park.

Overall England has lost nine matches on ITV and drawn 11. In comparison to the BBC, England’s record reads as Won: 14 Drawn: 3 Lost: 3. This gives England an impressive 70 per cent win rate on BBC, whereas on ITV it is a paltry 16.67 per cent.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Wouldn't the best thing for England be winning the tournament?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NasPb said:

I'm not English rather moroccan but truthfully Southgate reminds me of our manager, Vahid halizovhic. Both national teams have tons of talent but play negative terrible football. They're in the puel school as I see it. One thing is being defensive like Portugal and another thing is being negative. Not the same thing. Southgate as I've said is an English puel imo. Sure he has some good things about him but he's no game changer. Team spirit and friendships can only take you so far imo. 

Good post. Pretty well sums the situation up, particularly the highlighted part. 

• Like 1

Crap on the pitch and crap off it too from both sides. Even though this shite format encourages games like that, I really expected both to play like it meant something more. Now both will have to play in that fashion on Tuesday or risk a tough last 16 draw or elimination.

Also made me realise just how good our end was at the Cup final. Last night had the atmosphere of a friendly. The capacity restrictions are no excuse - Leicester showed you can still make a racket under those circumstances.

Edited by Voll Blau

10 hours ago, Finnegan said:

My favourite bit was when Grealish went on a trademark slow, mazy, head-down dribble then tried to pass it to one of the substitutes warming up. 

Worth noting that his misplaced pass still found an England player in an advanced position though. That alone puts him in front of a few of the starting 11 from last night. As for whether he should start instead of Sterling or Mount, the answer's still yes.

1 hour ago, surrifox said:

1 hour ago, Sly said:

The fact he won’t, is quite telling. 

I don't even think Tottenham are that desperate.

Edited by Matt

14 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Scotland did a job, more bothered about not losing to us than progressing in the tournament. 

Kane is obviously injured and yet again trying to play through it selfishly. Southgate would start DCL in the next game if he had the balls.

I'm not even sure Kane is injured any more, it's possible he just doesn't suit whatever it is Southgate is trying to do – he's not the only one.

It was rubbish. Every single problem England has highlighted in one game. I do think the Scottish performance has been overrated a little bit and they were helped massively by England being rubbish. That said, they deserved to win the game and shown more effort and desire. Scotland was always going to be the toughest game in my opinion, despite the rankings. Scotland celebrating their point but still think they'll finish bottom. 

I know its cool on here sometimes to exaggerate Kane's shiteness but he really was awful last night, for England captain he didn't look arsed. Mount, Sterling, Foden all poor too. Philips and Rice should only play together when we are ultra defensive. No imagination but worse thing was no desire. 

We will see if England are bothered Ankur winning this group and would rather finish second. Another 0-0 v Czech Republic I reckon. 

46 minutes ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Worth noting that his misplaced pass still found an England player in an advanced position though. That alone puts him in front of a few of the starting 11 from last night. As for whether he should start instead of Sterling or Mount, the answer's still yes.

In all seriousness, he did exactly what I said he would when he came on. Held on to the ball for far too long and slowed down possession. Another time, before the sub incident, he went on another slow, ponderous dribble through a few Scotland players and then just passed it to nobody just outside the top corner of the box because yet again his head was down. 

The most he created was, exactly as predicted, winning a few free kicks by drawing fouls. 

He's got the raw materials to be a world class footballer. He's a huge, strong lad with great touch, pretty good imagination and actually fairly good vision the times he does get his head up. 

He really could be the things the press hype him up to be but he's desperately in need of quality coaching. A couple of seasons working with someone like Pep and he probably would be one of your best players. 

But Aston Villa's Jack Grealish? Eh, he's going to give you a few high profile, eye catching moments of quality but 95% frustration and that's something you've got far too much of already. 

Yet you've got Sancho and Bellingham on the bench and don't use them when they've been part of a high tempo, free scoring Dortmund side all season. 

Look, I get it, I'm Welsh, I banter about England hurhurhur. But that's not what this is, it's just genuine bafflement at: A. the fact you've got one of the most talented young generations of footballers I've seen in my lifetime yet a manager with no idea how the fvck to use them and B. the cult of Jack Grealish. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Alot of folk asking why we Scotland fans are so happy with the draw...

We went to our biggest rivals home turf and matched a side who are 40 ranks above us. 

If you had have said to me before the tournament that we would be in with a chance of qualifying as we K/O the last game, I would have torn your arm off. We know were we are as a footballing nation and to be in the position we are despite not scoring a single goal isn't going to be sniffed at. 

Will we beat Croatia? Probably not but can we? Absolutely. They've been average at best this tournament and I will take a one off game against them... All day long. 

Take the piss all you want, I'm chuffed to bits with the effort we put in tonight. 

I can totally understand why the fans enjoyed the result, not least for the reasons you've given above. I totally understand why not losing is a huge result for the Scottish fans and I don't mean that in a patronising way either. I am more puzzled by the players and Scottish media reaction though.

Last night was a massive opportunity missed for Scotland. Wembley has never been the happiest hunting ground, bit like Twickenham, and last night was a chance similar to the last 6 nations match, a chance of victory for the first time in a long, long time on English soil. A Don Hutchison goal, that ultimately meant little was the last time wasn't it? Scotland more than matched England last night and deserve huge praise for that, regardless of how England played. If one side edged it, it was Scotland. I just think the players will rue this game when the dust settles on the group. 

I get that you're still in with a shout going into the last game, but many thought you'd take something from the Czech game, so you're no further ahead than many expected. I just think, for the players at least, they've overplayed it a little. It's a huge missed opportunity to take a massive step towards qualification, in my humble opinion. 

I don't fancy Scotland at all in a game Croatia have to win, but what do I know, it's just opinion.

My good news for Scotland fans is this. England, well, I posted before the tournament that I just couldn't get excited at all about their prospects. Not just because of Southgate, but because we just don't have good enough players. There's always been better international teams than England out there. We have some good players, but every single one of them is over-hyped, it's just a matter of how much, depending on the club they're with. A lot of the England players are made to look better by the absolute quality around them in premier league clubs. Without players like Kante, Fernandez, De Bruyne et all round about them, how good would the likes of Sterling, Rashford and Mount really look? A little unfair on Mount, who has been a revelation for Chelsea this season, but true nonetheless.

I guess my overall point is, I think you're out game, but I also think England will be out the game after.