Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

To do in 2022

I'm going to get myself on a defensive coaching course, get my badges then look for a job locally...

However over the last few years we have been considering buying a bolt hole in spain with a view to spending more time out there when we retire in around 6-7 years.

We held off because of Brexit but might just take the plunge this year. Like my wife said sometimes you just have to do these things as you can always find a reason to put something off.

• Like 3

Main one for me is to finish, or at least get close to finishing book no.2. Work has been chaotic this year, and coupled with illness at the start of the year and procrastination for the rest of it, it's taken a bit of a back seat. Not being able to travel to Poland (apart from the Legia-City game) hasn't helped, either.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

I know of a bothy in mid Wales that I’d ****ing love to just live at. Might put it on my 2022 todo list, as you’ve described the exact sort of thing I feel like I need. ****ing DO IT mate!

Just the thought of doing it is very exciting!  I think I know of the perfect place!

9 hours ago, MPH said:

1. I want to do a solo camp in the middle of nowhere. Not like an official camp site. Just find a place, put my tent up. Like in a national park or something. I’d actually like to build my own shelter but I’ll start off with a tent on the first one.

I have been slowly building up an inventory of items I’ll need. I have a water filter , plenty of things to start a fire. Various knives/ tools to gather my own firewood.. I’ll take SOME food with me but I want to forage for edible plants/ berries ( been reading up on some) maybe hunt some small game.  

Working with Covid patients has burnt me out. I need to reset my equilibrium. I might even send my wife and kids a postcard.

The Benton-Mackeye Trail is not too far from you and would provide just what you need, including solitude, on many sections.

Plenty of game, fish, berries, and clean water.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MPH said:

1. I want to do a solo camp in the middle of nowhere. Not like an official camp site. Just find a place, put my tent up. Like in a national park or something. I’d actually like to build my own shelter but I’ll start off with a tent on the first one.

I have been slowly building up an inventory of items I’ll need. I have a water filter , plenty of things to start a fire. Various knives/ tools to gather my own firewood.. I’ll take SOME food with me but I want to forage for edible plants/ berries ( been reading up on some) maybe hunt some small game.  

Working with Covid patients has burnt me out. I need to reset my equilibrium. I might even send my wife and kids a postcard.

@Buce has beaten me to it but I would recommend Wainright's coast to coast.  Get away from it all and have some kind of purpose.  You can wild camp along the way and get to cross three fabulous National Parks. 

Despite the hard work, it remains the best 'holiday' I've ever had.  It is life affirming stuff, I can almost guarantee that you will be reinvigorated.

edit - Ah, you're in The USA.  Maybe not that particular trek then.

Edited by murphy

Get debt free, minus the mortgage.

The wife starts a new Job in Feb and once I've settled last years tax bill in Jan gonna plough everything we can into credit card payments and then the mortgage hopefully.

Got deposits down on 2 holidays to ibiza after 2 years without so hoping for the families sake they go ahead.

Also hoping to survive the train journey between hamburg and randers without alcohol poisoning lol

After that. Just hoping 2022 is a bit more normal for everyone.

42 minutes ago, murphy said:

@Buce has beaten me to it but I would recommend Wainright's coast to coast.  Get away from it all and have some kind of purpose.  You can wild camp along the way and get to cross three fabulous National Parks. 

Despite the hard work, it remains the best 'holiday' I've ever had.  It is life affirming stuff, I can almost guarantee that you will be reinvigorated.

edit - Ah, you're in The USA.  Maybe not that particular trek then.

i appreciate your input all the same and the sentiments are the same too no matter what country I’m in!

• Like 1

I'll try to do at least 2 of the following 

Ultra long haul flight. Been looking at santiago, Chile with BA

Boxing lessons (if you saw me, the notion is laughable)

An attempt at Spanish (again) 

Ask out a bird (no dating app shit) and/or shag one of the fit party girls at my London office (zero chance, but it focuses the mind)

Get the kitchen done up

Invest in Crypto

• Like 2

Wouldn’t mind taking the kids camping for a weekend I haven’t really been myself but think it would be a nice break even though they are all shit scared of anything that moves 🙈😂 I think they would enjoy it though 

maybe a few small things like finally getting to go out just me and the wife for a few evenings as we haven’t had a chance to do that since before the kids which is 11 years ago 🙈 

few bike rides with the kids once we get the youngest riding his bike

Go out and see some friends for a few drinks, over the last few years kind of drifted away from seeing a lot of people even before covid so once it all settles down again maybe arrange once every month or so for a night out  

nothing to crazy I know 😂

• Like 1

On 28/12/2021 at 07:46, WigstonWanderer said:

Get Covid I suppose. Got to happen some time.

Edit: Oops, just read the rules, more of a chore.

Lose some weight would be good.

Getting one.. may assist with achieving two...  :)  

On 28/12/2021 at 15:50, FoxesDeb said:

South Florida and Colorado. We've been offered free use of a house and car for 2 weeks in Pompano Beach, just up the coast from Fort Lauderdale, for 2 weeks, and then the same again for another 2 weeks about 20 minutes from Aspen. We just need to pay for our flights and our food and drink while we're there. A very affordable way to do it! 

If i can recomend only one place.. Yosemite (across the road from colorado?) left me speechless  (Edit sorry, its quite a long way)

Edited by ozleicester
  • Haha 1

On 27/12/2021 at 23:09, SecretPro said:

Your to do list in 2022:

Every years we all say we'd like to do more of this and that, and never actually get round to doing it. So:

1. Name 1 big thing you want to do/place you want to go.

2. Name however many small things you want to do.

Rules:

All things on your list must be for personal enjoyment. This isn't a list of chores to get done.

All things must be achievable/doable/realistic. 

1. Pay a decent chuck of my mortgage off (overpay by a few grand or something)

2. Have at least two or three trips abroad, fed up of just staying at home.

3. Fancy getting a motorbike as well, but reckon the 3-5k it's gonna cost to buy is gonna go onto my mortgage instead.

• Like 1

On 28/12/2021 at 08:56, SecretPro said:

I live a fairly basic life, so mine probably seem insignificant but:

Big thing: a proper bicycle tour, with the wife. A good couple of weeks cycle touring and camping. Originally planned to cycle bottom to top of Norway but currently no direct flights due to covid and don't know how long they will last.

Little things:

Change job (I have an interview 4th Jan)

Climb a different mountain (UK based)

Go somewhere to see iconic British Wildlife (eg puffins, Red squirrel, pine martens etc)

Get a canoe and use it

Wildcamp on dartmoor

Forage an entire meal

Visit some good rivers (ones with rapids, fall etc) and nice wooded valleys

Drink at more country pubs

Get up for the dawn chorus more often

Spend time on an island (like one of the western Isles)

Lots of Puffins near me at Bempton. Generally there April to June time. It's always good to go see them as you can get good view points on the cliffs :)

• Thanks 1

On 28/12/2021 at 07:50, FoxesDeb said:

South Florida and Colorado. We've been offered free use of a house and car for 2 weeks in Pompano Beach, just up the coast from Fort Lauderdale, for 2 weeks, and then the same again for another 2 weeks about 20 minutes from Aspen. We just need to pay for our flights and our food and drink while we're there. A very affordable way to do it! 

My brother in law lives in Colorado, so we’ve been over there a few times. 

He’s up in Fort Collins, so we spent time in Estes Park and fun places like Colorado Springs and Boulder. Beautiful place with stunning scenery. 

Although, tbh, last visit we got a bit bored after a few days of ‘Ooh, look at that mountain’ and ‘Ooh, look…another one’ (and occasionally ‘fvck, that bear is a bit close’)! 

So we flew to Vegas to let off a bit of steam. 

I’m sure you’re probably more mature, appreciative of natural beauty, etc than I am, though. 

It really is a lovely part of the world. 

On 28/12/2021 at 08:56, SecretPro said:

I live a fairly basic life, so mine probably seem insignificant but:

Big thing: a proper bicycle tour, with the wife. A good couple of weeks cycle touring and camping. Originally planned to cycle bottom to top of Norway but currently no direct flights due to covid and don't know how long they will last.

Little things:

Change job (I have an interview 4th Jan)

Climb a different mountain (UK based)

Go somewhere to see iconic British Wildlife (eg puffins, Red squirrel, pine martens etc)

Get a canoe and use it

Wildcamp on dartmoor

Forage an entire meal

Visit some good rivers (ones with rapids, fall etc) and nice wooded valleys

Drink at more country pubs

Get up for the dawn chorus more often

Spend time on an island (like one of the western Isles)

A trip down the River Wye would cover all of these.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 2