Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

10 hours ago, TJQuik said:

How is it any different to going and playing in the MLS?

I'm pretty staunchly anti-American, I'd say more than most. 

But you've got to be a bit of a tool to think their record on human rights and freedoms is worse than Saudi Arabia's. Absolutely, there are some scary ultra authoritarian fundamentalist Christians gaining ground in the US who would quite happily turn their country in to a Saudi clone but they represent a noisy minority that are struggling to appeal to under 40s.

Yeah, America's foreign policy is pretty awful (particularly in countries with oil) but don't kid yourself that Saudi's is much better and the main difference between them is just opportunity. Saudi absolutely would look to brute force more of the globe to meet their goals if they had the clout America does. 

(I should clarify I have no particular prejudice towards the average Saudi or American off the street. My issue is with their ruling classes and I don't particularly like our own either.)

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

But you've got to be a bit of a tool to think their record on human rights and freedoms is worse than Saudi Arabia's. Absolutely, there are some scary ultra authoritarian fundamentalist Christians gaining ground in the US who would quite happily turn their country in to a Saudi clone but they represent a noisy minority that are struggling to appeal to under 40s.

Yeah, America's foreign policy is pretty awful (particularly in countries with oil) but don't kid yourself that Saudi's is much better and the main difference between them is just opportunity. Saudi absolutely would look to brute force more of the globe to meet their goals if they had the clout America does. 

(I should clarify I have no particular prejudice towards the average Saudi or American off the street. My issue is with their ruling classes and I don't particularly like our own either.)

Very well put, and look at what they're doing with oil prices. Adds to inflation, making all of us poorer. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

But also they’re going to clubs owned by PIF which is closely linked to the state whatever the Premier League pretends otherwise.

So if MLS teams were owned by state-associated organisations or even someone like Palantir there might be some similarity depending on your worldview but they’re not and so it’s plain daft.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Depends though. A lot of footballers come from poverty, and they have learned since childhood to take whatever they are offered in case it suddenly goes away. So that desire to take more and more money is ingrained into their personality at a subconscious level. 

In a similar but more hard-wired way, a lot of people keep eating even though they know it makes them fat and they're not going to run out of food.

Possibly. Although I come from a working class background and don’t have that need for money. And most of the greediest people I know came from

money so I don’t think it can just be that. But yes as a society in general the pursuit of money is drummed into a lot of people from a young age. I imagine a lot of it probably has to do with people around the player too. Advisors, agents, etc. I’m not particularly judging the players, but for me I certainly feel like I’d be able to think “I’ve got enough” and just play for the love of it for a bit. Though I may be wrong. 

• Like 1

Interesting to offer someone like Kante that sort of money, he’s a great player at what he does and I love him as a player, but he’s not a get out of you sear excitement machine is he?

For that sort of money, I want the entertainment level to step up - Kante will play his role in any team and will help them win things, but won’t put additional bums on seats.

9 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Interesting to offer someone like Kante that sort of money, he’s a great player at what he does and I love him as a player, but he’s not a get out of you sear excitement machine is he?

For that sort of money, I want the entertainment level to step up - Kante will play his role in any team and will help them win things, but won’t put additional bums on seats.

Do they really care as much about putting 'bums on seats' as they do about getting their laundry done?  :thumbup:

• Like 1

Just now, adejo92 said:

Burnley already back for pre season training.

Kompany really has got things right there.

They're having pre-pre-season.

They're back for a short spell, off again, then back for pre-season somewhere abroad. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

Burnley already back for pre season training.

Kompany really has got things right there.

To be fair they did play the final Championship fixture on 8th May so have had a month off

That said I get the impression that Kompany is insisting on the very best preparation for his squad

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TJQuik said:

How is it any different to going and playing in the MLS?

To be fair, obviously America has a lot of issues (not for a football thread) but personally, I’d go and live there for a year or two as a footballer without it being just for the money.

Saudi, I wouldn’t even want to stop off at the airport as part of a connecting flight for an hour! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I'm pretty sure a Doctor cannot report things to the police if the victim asks them not to, and possibly not to their employer either.

As Stan has said, doctors have a legal requirement to disclose serious harm. This is the GMC guidance on it:

53. There are various legal requirements to disclose information about adults who are known or considered to be at risk of, or to have suffered, abuse or neglect.18 You must disclose information if it is required by law.

You should:

a. satisfy yourself that the disclosure is required by law

b. only disclose information that is relevant to the request, and only in the way required by the law

c. tell patients about such disclosures whenever practicable, unless it would undermine the purpose of the disclosure to do so

55. You must disclose personal information about an adult who may be at risk of serious harm if it is required by law (see paragraph 53). Even if there is no legal requirement to do so, you must give information promptly to an appropriate responsible person or authority if you believe a patient who lacks capacity to consent is experiencing, or at risk of, neglect or physical, sexual or emotional abuse, or any other kind of serious harm, unless it is not of overall benefit to the patient to do so.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

I wonder if the reason the MLS have stated that bringing through young American talent is their priority anyway related to the power that the saudi league has now.  A decade ago the MLS were still obsessed with bringing in big name stars but now it seems the saudi league is the new MLS, I cant see it being as successful though.

Well so much for that...:D

7 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Clearly you haven’t heard of SUCK. 

The Saudi Ultras Crave Kante brigade. It’s pandemonium in Saudi Arabia right now over this signing. 

11 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

They want a Saudi team to win the Club World Cup, not put bums on seats

I think Messi going to Miami is a good move, personally. The American league is definitely a lower standard, but it isn't a façade. It's trying to improve, become more respected and the best way for them to accelerate that at this stage is getting people to come and watch. Who better to get bums on seats than arguably the greatest player? It's certainly more competitive, more legitimate than the Saudi league. 

At least with the MLS there some history of 'soccer', there's some pre-existing fanbases in the sport. There is competition. In this Saudi league you've no history of soccer, no real fanbase, and now you have, what, 4 clubs owned by the state? 

I think Ronaldo and Messi's respective moves tells you all you need to know about the two men. One is a vainglorious prima donna motivated by his brand, his earnings. The other is a more humble man, sure still earning as much as he can, but at least willing to tolerate some level of opposition.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Soupy said:

Feel like a cheeky bet on Villa winning the European Conference cup is worth a punt - annoyingly they seem to be a team on the up and Emery has a great record in Europe. 

The entries for this next season edition look a lot stronger from the Big 5 leagues - Juventus, Eintracht Frankfurt and Lille. 

12 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

I give up if this happens. 

Was a huge failure at Roma when he left Sevilla. Think it would take an extraordinary amount of money to get him moving away again. 

• Like 1