Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Public emergency alerts to be sent to all UK mobile phones

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64999417

By Aoife Walsh
BBC News
A siren-like alert will be sent to mobile phone users across the UK next month to test a new government public warning system.

It allows the government and emergency services to send urgent messages warning the public of life-threatening situations like flooding or wildfires.

The test is expected to take place in the early evening of 23 April.

Phone users will have to acknowledge the alert before they can use other features on their devices.

A message will appear on the home screens of people's devices during the test, with vibration and a loud warning sound that will ring for about 10 seconds, even if the phone is set to silent.

The system - which became operational on Sunday - is being modelled on similar schemes used in the US, Canada, Japan and The Netherlands.

Messages would only ever come from the government or emergency services and will initially focus on the most serious weather-related events, with the ability to get a message to 90% of mobile users within the relevant area.

Terror alerts could be added to the list of potential events that would trigger a notification.

The messages will include details of the area impacted and instructions about how to respond.

They will only be sent where there is an immediate risk to life and many people may not receive an alert for months or years.

People can opt out by searching their device settings for emergency alerts and then turning off severe and extreme ones. Officials say the alerts could be life-saving, though, advising against switching them off.

Alerts 'can save a life'
The Cabinet Office says the service will be secure, free to receive and will not collect personal information such as someone's telephone number, identity or location.

The new system uses cell broadcasting technology and messages will be based on someone's current location - but location services do not need to be switched on to receive the alerts.

That is because when an alert is triggered, all cell towers in a defined area will broadcast it, allowing the message to reach an area the size of an electoral ward.

The government has released a video of what the alerts will sound like.

Figure caption,
Warning: Third party content may contain adverts
Trials have already been held in Reading and East Suffolk. People will also be alerted if they are in one of 19 other countries which currently use them.

Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster Oliver Dowden, a cabinet member with oversight of preparation and planning for emergencies, said the technology "will revolutionise our ability to warn and inform people who are in immediate danger".

"As we've seen in the US and elsewhere, the buzz of a phone can save a life," he added.

National Fire Chiefs Council chairman Mark Hardingham said the new system would help fire and rescue services to do their jobs "and to help communities in the event of emergencies".

He said: "We've seen this type of system in action elsewhere across the world and we look forward to having the facility here in the UK - by working together with fire services and partners, we want this system to help us to help you be as safe as you can if a crisis does hit."

The Environment Agency's Caroline Douglas, executive director for flood and coastal erosion risk management, said the system would allow officials to communicate warnings in a "timely and accurate manner".

1 minute ago, Dunge said:

This is a UK Government Alert. Nuclear missiles are on their way. Please take appropriate action immediately.

WE can't fit you in our bunker so take your door off and hide under it.

2 hours ago, davieG said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64999417

By Aoife Walsh
BBC News
A siren-like alert will be sent to mobile phone users across the UK next month to test a new government public warning system.

It allows the government and emergency services to send urgent messages warning the public of life-threatening situations like flooding or wildfires.

The test is expected to take place in the early evening of 23 April.

Phone users will have to acknowledge the alert before they can use other features on their devices.

A message will appear on the home screens of people's devices during the test, with vibration and a loud warning sound that will ring for about 10 seconds, even if the phone is set to silent.

The system - which became operational on Sunday - is being modelled on similar schemes used in the US, Canada, Japan and The Netherlands.

Messages would only ever come from the government or emergency services and will initially focus on the most serious weather-related events, with the ability to get a message to 90% of mobile users within the relevant area.

Terror alerts could be added to the list of potential events that would trigger a notification.

The messages will include details of the area impacted and instructions about how to respond.

They will only be sent where there is an immediate risk to life and many people may not receive an alert for months or years.

People can opt out by searching their device settings for emergency alerts and then turning off severe and extreme ones. Officials say the alerts could be life-saving, though, advising against switching them off.

Alerts 'can save a life'
The Cabinet Office says the service will be secure, free to receive and will not collect personal information such as someone's telephone number, identity or location.

The new system uses cell broadcasting technology and messages will be based on someone's current location - but location services do not need to be switched on to receive the alerts.

That is because when an alert is triggered, all cell towers in a defined area will broadcast it, allowing the message to reach an area the size of an electoral ward.

The government has released a video of what the alerts will sound like.

Figure caption,
Warning: Third party content may contain adverts
Trials have already been held in Reading and East Suffolk. People will also be alerted if they are in one of 19 other countries which currently use them.

Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster Oliver Dowden, a cabinet member with oversight of preparation and planning for emergencies, said the technology "will revolutionise our ability to warn and inform people who are in immediate danger".

"As we've seen in the US and elsewhere, the buzz of a phone can save a life," he added.

National Fire Chiefs Council chairman Mark Hardingham said the new system would help fire and rescue services to do their jobs "and to help communities in the event of emergencies".

He said: "We've seen this type of system in action elsewhere across the world and we look forward to having the facility here in the UK - by working together with fire services and partners, we want this system to help us to help you be as safe as you can if a crisis does hit."

The Environment Agency's Caroline Douglas, executive director for flood and coastal erosion risk management, said the system would allow officials to communicate warnings in a "timely and accurate manner".

Deaf people everywhere... "Why isn't my phone working?"

1 hour ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Could do with an emergency alert to my phone from LCFC when we keep a clean sheet or have a shot on target 

3 hours ago, davieG said:

and many people may not receive an alert for months or years

The government would be right in this case!

2 hours ago, Dunge said:

This is a UK Government Alert. Nuclear missiles are on their way. Please take appropriate action immediately.

———————————

This is a UK Government Alert. The previous message was sent in error. Apologies for any inconvenience.

And bear in mind folks, something similar to this actually did happen on Hawaii a while back.

• Like 2

See there is a few sporting events due to happen that day including the London marathon and the world snooker championships in Sheffield.  Knowing Rishi Sunak he will press the button just as Mark Selby is about to pot the final black for a 147 break and suddenly 3000 phones scream into action

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, NAKC20 said:

See there is a few sporting events due to happen that day including the London marathon and the world snooker championships in Sheffield.  Knowing Rishi Sunak he will press the button just as Mark Selby is about to pot the final black for a 147 break and suddenly 3000 phones scream into action

And make no mistake, it is an annoyingly loud sound.  Especially when it goes off in the middle of the night.

The emergency alerts can be toggled on / off on an iPhone. 

It’s in the notification settings, right down the bottom under the app notifications.

I’m assuming Samsung is the same. 

3 hours ago, Sly said:

The emergency alerts can be toggled on / off on an iPhone. 

It’s in the notification settings, right down the bottom under the app notifications.

I’m assuming Samsung is the same. 

Would the ability of turning them off not defeat the purpose a bit?

Anyone who hasn't noticed that it's rained hard or the wind is blowing will probably fail to notice the 10 second screech in their ears as well.

If 20,000 phones go off with a loud screech at a football match, whether for a drill or a general emergency, all at the same time, I wonder if the lives saved will be higher than the number of fatal heart attacks?

Edited by dsr-burnley

13 hours ago, Nalis said:

Would the ability of turning them off not defeat the purpose a bit?

The last world government certain death emergency turned out to be (as many if us suspected from the off) a dull headache and blocked sinuses. 

I'll take my chances thanks and try my best to survive sans text

7 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Anyone who hasn't noticed that it's rained hard or the wind is blowing will probably fail to notice the 10 second screech in their ears as well.

If 20,000 phones go off with a loud screech at a football match, whether for a drill or a general emergency, all at the same time, I wonder if the lives saved will be higher than the number of fatal heart attacks?

If 20000 phones go off at the KP I'd like to know why they have been going all Chinese on us and blocking my signal for 20 years. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

The last world government certain death emergency turned out to be (as many if us suspected from the off) a dull headache and blocked sinuses. 

I'll take my chances thanks and try my best to survive sans text

Almost seven million people, more than any war or other act of humanity in the last twenty years, would disagree with you. Or they would if we possessed supernatural powers enough to communicate with them, anyway. I'm sure they'd appreciate your blase attitude about them drowning in their own blood and mucus, though.

The next crisis might not be so forgiving of a disjointed response.

Of course, you're welcome to take your chances as a sovereign individual in true Hollywood style though.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Almost seven million people, more than any war or other act of humanity in the last twenty years, would disagree with you. Or they would if we possessed supernatural powers enough to communicate with them, anyway. I'm sure they'd appreciate your blase attitude about them drowning in their own blood and mucus, though.

The next crisis might not be so forgiving of a disjointed response.

Of course, you're welcome to take your chances as a sovereign individual in true Hollywood style though.

Such a weird response to Covid isn't it, yet it's everywhere;  "I didn't die so it was just like a mild flu" is a bit like saying someone didn't die in WW2 so it wasn't that bad.  Complete nonsense.

Edit Actually on reflection it is worse than that; "only the old and the sick died in any numbers so who cares".

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Such a weird response to Covid isn't it, yet it's everywhere;  "I didn't die so it was just like a mild flu" is a bit like saying someone didn't die in WW2 so it wasn't that bad.  Complete nonsense.

Edit Actually on reflection it is worse than that; "only the old and the sick died in any numbers so who cares".

Survivorship bias, it's called.

A logical fallacy sadly very common among our species, and not just concerning Covid, either.

"I rode in a car for years without a seat-belt and didn't die - who needs them?"

"Why should I care about increasing global average temperatures? The casualties will all be elsewhere."

• Like 1