Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Public emergency alerts to be sent to all UK mobile phones

For those who haven't had it, are you sure you're emergency alerts is switched on your phone? 

You can also see your emergency alerts history under settings for those who swiped accidently without reading it. 

Screenshot_20230423_155233_Emergencyalerts.thumb.jpg.4dd7a5b332902f05f82f1db7c35d0157.jpg

Edited by hejammy
  • Thanks 1

I was in a room of about 80 people and it was ever hit and miss. Some bang on 3, some over a minute and a couple not at all.

On a side note, it'd be the perfect time for Russia to nuke us. 

"Oh, it's just a test."

10 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I was in a room of about 80 people and it was ever hit and miss. Some bang on 3, some over a minute and a couple not at all.

On a side note, it'd be the perfect time for Russia to nuke us. 

"Oh, it's just a test."

It might just me that thinks that this test is a sign that something serious, in the lines of terrorism, is going to happen at some point..

Edited by Wymsey
  • Like 1

Just now, Wymsey said:

It might just be think that this test is a sign that something serious, in the lines of terrorism, is going to happen at some point..

And on that sunny note...

Come on Wymsey, we won yesterday!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

It might just me that thinks that this test is a sign that something serious, in the lines of terrorism, is going to happen at some point..

Or it could be an asteroid or meteor, a dinosaur extinction killer is on the way! :ph34r:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Unfortunately for you both in the event of a real nuclear bomb, you’ve both now got arms growing out of your forehead. You can blame the government for that 

The added multi functionality benefit of having an extra arm probably would be only decent thing Tories gave me during their stewardship tbh.

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I’ve seen loads of stuff on SM from the tin hat brigade about this being about ‘control ‘

How does that work ?

The alert contained a mind controlling, hypnotic subliminal tone.

You've all been in a trance for a week now.

Btw, we beat Wolves and Everton whilst you've been in this vacant state.

It would be useful in situations like the Cumbria shootings in 2010, where it would just say stay at home. Or say like the London Bridge attacks. You never know what accidents could also happen where it could come in handy (Aberfan, Toddbrook reservoir). 

And if a large nuclear warhead was flying towards your city, an emergency alert would be utterly useless. 

Edited by Lionator

If there was a flood or terror incident somewhere, say in London, how would the authorities in charge of this messaging system ensure that only those in the London area get this message only and not someone from say from another region and who is not in any possible potential danger from the situation?..

58 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I’ve seen loads of stuff on SM from the tin hat brigade about this being about ‘control ‘

How does that work ?

My wife had her hair done today, and the stylist was all over this complete nonsense.

She apparently also had access to an  "amazing" video about how, when you go on the internet and look at stuff, you then get adverts on Facebook about that exact same stuff? (question mark added because, let's be honest, there will have been one).

The revelations are coming thick and fast at the moment, it's very hard to keep up.

I feel like I've been very naive, thank goodness there are people around to shine a light on these burning issues

8 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

If there was a flood or terror incident somewhere, say in London, how would the authorities in charge of this messaging system ensure that only those in the London area get this message only and not someone from say from another region and who is not in any possible potential danger from the situation?..

There must be a way. They have been running alerts like this in the states for ages - eg in the event of a child abduction they send out alerts to a targeted area. 

21 minutes ago, rachhere said:

There must be a way. They have been running alerts like this in the states for ages - eg in the event of a child abduction they send out alerts to a targeted area. 

It's been a feature in Korea for a while, too. And yeah, they can parse the alert to a particular region or city here if needed.

2 hours ago, Wymsey said:

The alerts are sent regionally in other countries, extreme weather etc. Perhaps they just send to an area using the geographical phone masts? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, reporterpenguin said:

Neither me or my parents got it. We're all quite rural, would that have anything to do with it? My sister who lives in a bigger town did get it.

The message was only sent over 4G and 5G networks.  In rural areas, 4G can be quite patchy and 5G unheard of.  I assume that the message is sent via some sort of internet system relying, otherwise surely it would be fired off over 2G which has much greater geographical reach.

That said, there were four of us in a car when it arrived.  All on O2 network.  3 received the message, but only two made a sound.  I didn't get it at all.