Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Public emergency alerts to be sent to all UK mobile phones

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Almost seven million people, more than any war or other act of humanity in the last twenty years

Haha, I was waiting for one of the usuals to bite! But seven million died WITH COVID, only a fraction of it. 

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

only the old and the sick died in any numbers so who cares

Yup, more or less. The old and sick also die of salmonella or colds or an infected sore every day. But I doubt you wear black all day to commemorate those deaths  

Edit, fwiw,climate change is something that worries me greatly. As per, the COVID fans lump anyone who treats the thing as a sniffle (which it is) as a lunatic, hard right, MAGA and Brexit style anti vaxxer. 

Edited by Paninistickers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Haha, I was waiting for one of the usuals to bite! But seven million died WITH COVID, only a fraction of it. 

A fact reflected in their official death certificates, I wonder?

Yup, more or less. The old and sick also die of salmonella or colds or an infected sore every day. But I doubt you wear black all day to commemorate those deaths  

Not nearly to the same (preventable) degree as Covid did.

Edit, fwiw,climate change is something that worries me greatly. As per, the COVID fans lump anyone who treats the thing as a sniffle (which it is) as a lunatic, hard right, MAGA and Brexit style anti vaxxer.

Unfortunately there is rather a lot of overlap between such ideologies.

All I'll say is do watch out for your survivorship bias - it doesn't do anyone, least of all the person themselves - much good long term.

• 3 weeks later...

https://news.sky.com/story/date-and-time-set-for-uks-first-nationwide-test-of-emergency-alert-system-12850485#:~:text=A nationwide test of the,stop automatically after 10 seconds.

They've set the time at 3 pm on Sunday 23rd April.  That's going to be fun at the Newcastle v Tottenham game - an alert designed to be loud enough to wake up one person, and 60,000 of them going off in the same space?  I wonder what the effect will be on people who are partially deaf already?

• 3 weeks later...

Just got that government alert thing on my phone but i accidentally swiped up and it disappeared.

Its not saved to text messages so I’ve no idea what it said.

If it was a genuine emergency and I did this then how would I know what it was?

6 minutes ago, NAKC20 said:

3 of us sat at home and none of us has had it. Daughter and her boyfriend are out together and he has had it but she hasnt. Sounds like its working well 🙄

1 minute ago, The Blur said:

My wife and I have not got anything either 

Apparently it's targeted at people that the government want to be saved from a nuclear attack

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, NAKC20 said:

So for those of us that havent had it is it still likely to go off in the next 30 minutes - 7 days?

12 hours probably. 

Apparently Three users were commonly missed. 

Edited by Zear0