Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RonnieTodger

Jobsworth Behaviour

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

Anyone got any good jobsworth stories? I’ve just been reminded of one. 

Me and a group of mates went to Blackpool on 12th July. One lad didn’t turn 18 until the 13th and bouncers made him wait outside the bar until midnight. 

That's pretty funny to be fair

The charity I volunteer for shares a car park with 2 other charities. Each one has designated spaces. 

A couple of Saturdays ago, I went to pick Mrs P up from town and parked in the car park which was entirely empty so I just sat in the car in a space "reserved" for a different charity. It was 6pm and the shops were shut.

Then this bloke came out of the back of the charity shop he worked in, tapped on my window and told me I can't park there as it was reserved for them. Bellend.

• Like 1

My job is very risk averse by nature so this is going to be a fun read.

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

Me and a group of mates went to Blackpool on 12th July. One lad didn’t turn 18 until the 13th and bouncers made him wait outside the bar until midnight. 

Club would have been fvcked if he got himself into trouble, not worth the risk. Also its hilarious as mentioned before.

13 minutes ago, Parafox said:

The charity I volunteer for shares a car park with 2 other charities. Each one has designated spaces. 

A couple of Saturdays ago, I went to pick Mrs P up from town and parked in the car park which was entirely empty so I just sat in the car in a space "reserved" for a different charity. It was 6pm and the shops were shut.

Then this bloke came out of the back of the charity shop he worked in, tapped on my window and told me I can't park there as it was reserved for them. Bellend.

That is jobsworth fvckery to be fair.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

I’m all for this level of pettiness, f uck em.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Proper LOL then 

4 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Please tell me that, when he was finally allowed in, he piled so many down his neck that he was arrested for drunk & disorderly by 2am on his birthday.....

• Haha 2

Not sure if it's jobsworth behaviour or just twattery, but when I worked in the hideous corporate world, the site I worked at didn't have sufficient parking. Me being the conscious manager I am, decided to arrange free shuttle busses from the train station to get people on the trains and use less parking. 

Parking was relieved, staff were happy and there was less pollution in the air so everyone's a winner here. Not one month into this scheme, some bean counter told me that by giving staff a free shuttle bus, this counted as a benefit in kind and had to be taxable on those using it. He also said this wasn't something the finance department would not support as provision of transport wasn't in the employees T&Cs or contracts. Were they right? Even if so, turn the other way... 

It's been many years since I left that place, but speaking with ex-colleagues I can confirm the dream of the shuttle bus lies shattered on the Derby pavement. 

Edited by Zear0

6 hours ago, Zear0 said:

Not sure if it's jobsworth behaviour or just twattery, but when I worked in the hideous corporate world, the site I worked at didn't have sufficient parking. Me being the conscious manager I am, decided to arrange free shuttle busses from the train station to get people on the trains and use less parking. 

Parking was relieved, staff were happy and there was less pollution in the air so everyone's a winner here. Not one month into this scheme, some bean counter told me that by giving staff a free shuttle bus, this counted as a benefit in kind and had to be taxable on those using it. He also said this wasn't something the finance department would not support as provision of transport wasn't in the employees T&Cs or contracts. Were they right? Even if so, turn the other way... 

It's been many years since I left that place, but speaking with ex-colleagues I can confirm the dream of the shuttle bus lies shattered on the Derby pavement. 

Haha, well yes he is right, the company should have paid via their PAYE settlement agreement a value to cover the employees liability.  Generally speaking anything like this you do for the benefit of employees you can add 70-90% on top.  The failure was in not making a good business case to show the benefits of the service.  Would be easier these days as part of a plan to improve sustainability and reduce CO2.  Finance don't make the rules, and our job is to ensure the business is compliant with all relevant laws and regulations.  If you had consulted properly before you put this in place - with HR and finance - and costed it properly then I would guess it would still be running. :)

16 hours ago, Nalis said:

My job is very risk averse by nature so this is going to be a fun read.

Club would have been fvcked if he got himself into trouble, not worth the risk. Also its hilarious as mentioned before.

That is jobsworth fvckery to be fair.

Yeah companies are hired to send people in to test bars/bars etc who sell age restricted products. Doubt they'd do something as extreme as scenario in the OP but it's not worth the risk to the member of staff nor the bar. I'm sure he felt like a twat having to refuse though. 

15 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Anything to do with mortgages and insurance. Early repayment charges, hammering the consumer for paying back what they owe you quicker 

15 hours ago, PAULCFC said:

Any HR!

Working in HR for an Insurance Company must make me the ultimate Jobsworth?!?! lol

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Greg2607 said:

Working in HR for an Insurance Company must make me the ultimate Jobsworth?!?! lol

Fancy making it a hat-trick and saying you also do the desk inspections too?

5S Gustapo at my old place had a limit on pictures people could put up on their desk.  They allocated a single picture frame each in the end.  Crazy looking back on it all

18 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

What time did the rest of you get let in to the bar? If it was 10-20 minutes fair enough. If you left him outside on his own for 2 hours that's so harsh, but very funny.

19 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Might sound jobsworthy, but the licence would have had a sanction against it if found out.

My own experience involves the pub down the road.  I went there from age 16, and was served whatever, whenever.

I went on my 18th birthday, got asked for ID by the new Landlord, and promptly got barred!

7 hours ago, Koke said:

I know car park attendants get a lot of abuse, but there's a high number of jobsworths in that field.

I've done that job (forced to owing to restructure).  There is ZERO discretion. It wouldn't stop me having a pop at them though.  Seriously, who would ACTUALLY take that job?

Edited by filthyfox