Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxile5

Starfield

Now this has been out a month or so, people would've had a good amount of time with it. What's the consensus? 

It's a strange game IMO. I think IGN's "controversial" 7/10 was probably about right... Maybe an 8/10, but at the same time I can't put it down or stop thinking about it.

Edited by RoboFox

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

Now this has been out a month or so, people would've had a good amount of time with it. What's the consensus? 

It's a strange game IMO. I think IGN's "controversial" 7/10 was probably about right... Maybe an 8/10, but at the same time I can't put it down or stop thinking about it.

I'd say an 8/10 is very fair.

I can't put it down at the minute, I'd say I've played a couple of hours every other day since it's been out and there's still plenty to do. The last couple of times I've been on it I've just been doing missions in Neon and yet it feels like I've hardly scratched the surface still. Some missions are a little monotonous but overall for me personally, it's the ideal kind of game I like and for the amount of time I actually have to play.

1 hour ago, lcfc278 said:

I'd say an 8/10 is very fair.

I can't put it down at the minute, I'd say I've played a couple of hours every other day since it's been out and there's still plenty to do. The last couple of times I've been on it I've just been doing missions in Neon and yet it feels like I've hardly scratched the surface still. Some missions are a little monotonous but overall for me personally, it's the ideal kind of game I like and for the amount of time I actually have to play.

10/10

• Haha 2

In and of itself it's not a brand new genre or defining example. The combat isn't as good as cyberpunk or Witcher 3.

But it does have an the classic Bethesda playability and storyline. It's rich in locations. It's just a very very good game.

On 29/09/2023 at 11:30, RoboFox said:

The game doesn't really tell you this, but I'd complete "Into The Unknown" on the main quest before doing your own thing :thumbup:

Completed this mission last night, I've so far put in nearly 18 hours, and I feel like I've done nothing of the main story.

I'd also recommend completing the Mantis early doors as well.

On 03/10/2023 at 11:12, RoboFox said:

Its the only game I'm playing right now. I was a big fan of Fallout, so this is right up my street.

It just has something there that keeps you hooked, I can't quite explain what it is, because it would just sound like any other game, but it isn't

On 03/10/2023 at 11:12, RoboFox said:

Jury'a still out for me. Tries to do too many things so can't quite decide what kind of game it wants to be. Classic Bethesda I guess.

Still, objectively, there's no way it's less than an 8. Plenty of good content and in depth systems (which are never explained!) and whilst there's plenty of filler, there's still plenty of good stuff that doesn't take too long to get to. Think if they had streamlined some bits and been more focused, you'd be looking at a definite 9 maybe a 10 on some metrics.

19 hours ago, snoopy87 said:

Completed this mission last night, I've so far put in nearly 18 hours, and I feel like I've done nothing of the main story.

I'd also recommend completing the Mantis early doors as well.

Id recommend sitting in the simulator and levelling up piloting all the way before doing anything.

The worst thing about the game is the procedural generation / POI system.

150-odd hours in and I pretty much avoid all POIs now because I just think I'm going to end up running into the same Science Outpost with the same dead bodies and the same items lying about in exactly the same places. It's fvcking daft and utterly immersion-breaking.

Completely takes away any desire to go and explore any locations anymore which is a huge shame. I only ever really go to uniquely-named places now. 

Even planets with the "three dots" and a pre-determined landing zone seem to just have POIs that are just copy/pasted. 

How BGS thought this was a good idea I don't know. 

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

I have not played in weeks after putting about 30 hours in and getting to over level 20 the two things annoyed me about the game were all the companions were moaning cry babies who constantly told me off for murdering people despite their ship firing on me 1st and me just defending myself, but the worst thing for me was the econemy and the traders having so little coins so after competing a long mission it would take me ages going to multiple vendors on multiple planets just to sell off the weapons and gear etc.

21 hours ago, RoboFox said:

The worst thing about the game is the procedural generation / POI system.

150-odd hours in and I pretty much avoid all POIs now because I just think I'm going to end up running into the same Science Outpost with the same dead bodies and the same items lying about in exactly the same places. It's fvcking daft and utterly immersion-breaking.

Completely takes away any desire to go and explore any locations anymore which is a huge shame. I only ever really go to uniquely-named places now. 

Even planets with the "three dots" and a pre-determined landing zone seem to just have POIs that are just copy/pasted. 

How BGS thought this was a good idea I don't know. 

The exploration is remarkably poorly done for a game that's meant to be about uncovering the mysteries of space. Planetary exploration is an exercise in pure tedium (I hope to god one of the inevitable expansions adds a land vehicle of some description so you can at least speed up the process) and while space flight feels good you spend more time watching your ship in cutscenes than you do actually flying the thing. The closest you get to doing actual meaningful exploration is when you're traipsing around hub cities trying to find the different shops because there's no ****ing local map.

I'd rather they'd made a universe about a tenth the size and filled it with actually interesting things to see and do. The repetition of POIs and encounters make it feel far smaller than it actually is.

We're into natural Bethesda classic territory.

Gasps of amazement on release followed by frustration at the usual Bethesda complaints :D

'I'm sick of being sent to fetch a family heirloom sword only to be given it.'

'Dungeons are all full of dragur'

It's an 8. No Man's Skyrim in glorious HD.

Yeah there's loads wrong with it - like, some really baffling design decisions - but I still haven't played anything else since launch. 

Once I've completed the main story I think I'll put this down and come back to it in a couple of years when they've hopefully patched some of the more egregious issues and mod support has allowed modders to elevate this to a solid 9/10. 

One of the weird things is the blocked doors like on The Vigilance.

Now and again you'll come across an open door with a load of mud and rocks blocking it off.

Why do they put those in? It's a starship. Just put a door there and lock it off. Why would a starship have loads of earth on it. Really weird choice. What were the designers thinking?

I hate the game. 

Got to the endish point where the thing happens and you have to do stuff, but some twat got caught in the crossfire and every single NPC wearing a UC badge and carrying a gun wants to kill me. 

Got into the ship to go to the place and space is teaming with angry ships blowing me to fvck instantly. 

No save, so I’ve had to bite the bullet and scrap the last few days and lose levels and the great gear I hoarded. 

Absolutely hate this game. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Daggers said:

I hate the game. 

Got to the endish point where the thing happens and you have to do stuff, but some twat got caught in the crossfire and every single NPC wearing a UC badge and carrying a gun wants to kill me. 

Got into the ship to go to the place and space is teaming with angry ships blowing me to fvck instantly. 

No save, so I’ve had to bite the bullet and scrap the last few days and lose levels and the great gear I hoarded. 

Absolutely hate this game. 

If you put the difficulty setting down it's pretty much impossible to lose space combat