Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LestaLad

Zack Steffen

35 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I expect Enzo wants a keeper that is more comfortable on the ball than Iversen would be

Bingo. Iversen is a good goalkeeper and would be fine for us in the championship but his distribution isn't very good and I would say is not what Enzo would want as his number one. 

30 minutes ago, Lesta Legend said:

Bingo. Iversen is a good goalkeeper and would be fine for us in the championship but his distribution isn't very good and I would say is not what Enzo would want as his number one. 

This distribution point is the main one used to beat Iverson with.

I mean I’m not a goalkeeper or goalkeeper coach but I just think should we not be working to improve the weaknesses of our players who otherwise show good potential rather than just replace them?

I appreciate you are not necessarily calling for him to be replaced so it’s not challenging your view point but just raising it as a general thing. 

I’m not convinced that Steffan is as good as Iverson with other areas that are primarily that of a goalkeeper. People get far too hung up with GKs being more about their feet than their hands imo.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

If Enzo wants to play out from the back then Iversen has no chance because his kicking is shocking and he holds onto the ball far too long.

Yes that is very true. His kicking is very poor. 

1 hour ago, TommyK said:

Given all the players we need and we have Iverson as first choice - not sure i'd be targeting a keeper. 

1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

We need a keeper, Iversen is not good enough imo.

More likely down to the fact he wants a keeper who can play a bit and I've seen nothing from the 2 here to suggest they can. I'd be happy with iverson staying but I'd be happy if it meant we ****ed ward off.

• Like 1

Guest Mee-9

The fact we're in for him indicates that he'll be back sooner rather than later. 

City wouldn't sell a crocked player who's out for months and months, and despite how idiotic the people who handle Transfers and contracts are at Leicester I'd like to think we've got some common sense. 

24 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

I mean I’m not a goalkeeper or goalkeeper coach but I just think should we not be working to improve the weaknesses of our players who otherwise show good potential rather than just replace them?

I appreciate you are not necessarily calling for him to be replaced so it’s not challenging your view point but just raising it as a general thing. 

I’m not convinced that Steffan is as good as Iverson with other areas that are primarily that of a goalkeeper. People get far too hung up with GKs being more about their feet than their hands imo.

You can coach them and improve them only to a certain point. But you either have a natural aptitude for it or you don't. It's why Pep wasted little time binning off Joe Hart. Iversen looks incredibly wooden with the ball at his feet and I don't think any amount of coaching will raise him to the standard that Enzo will be looking for.

While we've got Iversen I wouldn't really focus on us getting a GK. At least not this early. I can only presume Maresca wants someone more comfortable with the ball at their feet, in which case Iversen has a lot of work to do... 

I said on here 10 days ago that I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s linked at some point lol 

Can’t see Maresca favouring Iversen, Steffen makes sense because he can play out from the back.

His prevented goal & save rate are bang average though.

Would rather take a chance on James Trafford.

31 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

In todays game, its essential. Last season Iversen had to come in because Ward was appalling, but i am convinced Iversens' distribution was a huge factor on the original decision to play Ward. In his short spell, the sheer number of kicks that went straight out for throw-ins was embarrassing. No counter attack was possible when Iversen had the ball. Think about the Newcastle game, where in the last few minutes we were all over them. Iversen has the ball and completely bottles it - he couldn't even find a player. Now think about how other keepers were able to create attacks - Pickford in particular is excellent at it. 

With your first point, only those in the club will know if Iversen is capable of developing in that area. Its not always possible to Coach people to do things they aren't naturally gifted at doing. Maybe they feel even a 20% improvement won't be good enough. For me, its not just his kicking ability, but its his decision making when he has the ball in his hands. He's a great shot stopper, but i have doubts the other areas are fixable in the short term.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

(Gk here) Ederson is a good example of this, he's terrible one on one, positioning for shots is way off perfect, brilliant in the sweep but shot stopping he's average. Thing is Man City don't need a good shot stopper or one on one master as these situations don't happen very often for them. 

Distribution is the main role of a Man City GK I'm not sure we have the ball playing defenders needed to keep possession to play like Man City, we're going to conceded chances so we need a shot stopper.

The positions Edwrson takes up when in possession allows them to play with 11 out fielders but only because they pass and move so effectively.

Edited by Heskey2011
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

While we've got Iversen I wouldn't really focus on us getting a GK. At least not this early. I can only presume Maresca wants someone more comfortable with the ball at their feet, in which case Iversen has a lot of work to do... 

At first blush that seems right, but as @coolhandfox says, no point not giving the manager the tools to play the way he wants to.

Signing Steffen, or any other to-be-first-choice goalkeeper leaves us with the problem of shifting two of Ward, Iversen, Smithies and Stolarczyk. Smithies is almost certain to stay for one last season & we might try and get a League One loan for Stolarczyk? Would someone take Ward off our hands? Would Iversen stay as back up in the Championship?

Edited by Steve Earle

19 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

I give you Newcastle away, stoppage time, and a hoof straight out of play...

if he can make stops like he did against everton than i’ll take a few of those. 

Your keeper will gain you more points from saves than good passes at the end of the day. 

When you get to man city’s level and just need minor improvements it makes sense… when your defence opens up like this …. it’s another story 

image.jpeg.cffb52ee1dc21be7540dd2a70c702377.jpeg

Edited by Lambert09
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

You can coach them and improve them only to a certain point. But you either have a natural aptitude for it or you don't. It's why Pep wasted little time binning off Joe Hart. Iversen looks incredibly wooden with the ball at his feet and I don't think any amount of coaching will raise him to the standard that Enzo will be looking for.

Oh I get this completely. I guess I’m coming from the angle, can he be good enough across all areas for what we need in the Championship which personally I think so.

This is a two phase rebuild, what we do this summer and then if/when we get promoted.

If we want to be doing business with one eye on getting promoted and the other on when we are there, I would argue we need to focus on quality not quantity of additions. As part of this, where we have players who are clearly good enough to be successful in the championship, I think we should be focusing our resources on other areas.

Come next summer, if we have got promoted and Iverson has been good but not shown an ability to improve this weaknesses with distribution to the level required, we can then be in the market for a new keeper. Probably a better calibre than we would this summer.

1 hour ago, Chelmofox said:

In todays game, its essential. Last season Iversen had to come in because Ward was appalling, but i am convinced Iversens' distribution was a huge factor on the original decision to play Ward. In his short spell, the sheer number of kicks that went straight out for throw-ins was embarrassing. No counter attack was possible when Iversen had the ball. Think about the Newcastle game, where in the last few minutes we were all over them. Iversen has the ball and completely bottles it - he couldn't even find a player. Now think about how other keepers were able to create attacks - Pickford in particular is excellent at it. 

With your first point, only those in the club will know if Iversen is capable of developing in that area. Its not always possible to Coach people to do things they aren't naturally gifted at doing. Maybe they feel even a 20% improvement won't be good enough. For me, its not just his kicking ability, but its his decision making when he has the ball in his hands. He's a great shot stopper, but i have doubts the other areas are fixable in the short term.

As per my other post above, I don’t see the harm in giving him this season. I’m not saying he would be our number for years to come in the Premier League but rebuilds are in stages.

He came into a poor situation as well. I’m not sure how that pressure and the team performing like crap would affect how he was distributing the ball or whether it’s a pure weakness (not naturally gifted as you have put it) that he would not be able to bring up to standard. 

I do agree with you about it as a weakness and it wasn’t good which is why I feel it can only be something that is drastically improved upon!