Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

Conor Coady official

At Wolves Coady was a more "positional" defender who would sweep up behind the other two CBs, sniffing out any danger in behind. Whilst also organising the entire back line. 

Get him isolated against a big, physical guy and he's in trouble. Mitrovic used to run him ragged for Fulham every time we played them for instance. Also if you get him turned towards his own goal he's in trouble too. 

In a four I think he'd be best alongside a Willy Boly type. Someone big, dynamic, who can read the game and step up and intercept whilst also being decent on the ball. Whether that's Vestegaard, Faes or Souttar I don't know. The pacier the better. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

At Wolves Coady was a more "positional" defender who would sweep up behind the other two CBs, sniffing out any danger in behind. Whilst also organising the entire back line. 

Get him isolated against a big, physical guy and he's in trouble. Mitrovic used to run him ragged for Fulham every time we played them for instance. Also if you get him turned towards his own goal he's in trouble too. 

In a four I think he'd be best alongside a Willy Boly type. Someone big, dynamic, who can read the game and step up and intercept whilst also being decent on the ball. Whether that's Vestegaard, Faes or Souttar I don't know. The pacier the better. 

We've not got any centre halves with any pace at all. It's why we end up playing Justin.

Another solid performance from him. His communication will prove vital, especially when we're under pressure like we were yesterday. 

He needs to be at the back. I'm convinced he would have Marshalled the back line better against QPR

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

Another solid performance from him. His communication will prove vital, especially when we're under pressure like we were yesterday. 

He needs to be at the back. I'm convinced he would have Marshalled the back line better against QPR

100% agree. Nelson is certainly a talent, and may be considered slightly better on the ball, but it’s ’back to basics’ for me. Let’s defend well, experience plays a part in that and win games. Nelson tried to play offside for QPR’s first goal, and we got caught out (we can argue whether it was or wasn’t offside, but ultimately he made a risky decision because it was certainly tight enough and we got punished). We just need to be sensible and solid and we will win enough games.

Be very interesting to see what Enzo does at Hull with Vesty coming back!

1 minute ago, MalletFox said:

100% agree. Nelson is certainly a talent, and may be considered slightly better on the ball, but it’s ’back to basics’ for me. Let’s defend well, experience plays a part in that and win games. Nelson tried to play offside for QPR’s first goal, and we got caught out (we can argue whether it was or wasn’t offside, but ultimately he made a risky decision because it was certainly tight enough and we got punished). We just need to be sensible and solid and we will win enough games.

Be very interesting to see what Enzo does at Hull with Vesty coming back!

Vestergaard  is back 100%.

Definitely should be starting at the minute. I’d play him over Faes. Faes has completely lost his head recently and looks a bomb scare. Coady brings leadership and organisation which we are lacking. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

Play him on the left, sit deep and grind out 1-0’s til the end of the season like we were at the start of the season.

We've only had Four 1-0s all season. The first 3 were in the opening 13 games. 

He may not be the most dazzling or quality defender we have but he is exactly what we need right now. You could see every corner or set piece he was barking out instructions. Always in the right place at the right time. Experience at the top level. I’d like to see faes rested ons Saturday and vesty coady and Doyle in. Albeit that is a very slow back line. 

• Like 3

Dont know how many times it needs to be said but start the man Enzo ffs! Faes is an absolute car crash. We need an experienced leader at the back going into the last 9 games when the pressures on and Coady is the man. Was brought in for his leadership and Championship promotion know how but leaves him on the bench? Totally bizarre

Edited by South Shire Fox

25 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Another big money fee and wages for a player that the manager doesn't truly want to use. Recruitment and management still out of kilter.

To be fair I think he was signed to play the Vesty role, but much to everyone's surprise except himself, Jannick has been exceptional at that role.  Easy to say in retrospect it is a waste of money, but at the time it looked essential, and we all agreed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

To be fair I think he was signed to play the Vesty role, but much to everyone's surprise except himself, Jannick has been exceptional at that role.  Easy to say in retrospect it is a waste of money, but at the time it looked essential, and we all agreed.

The timing of the signing seemed off though.

Enzo didn’t even have a chance to look at our ball playing CB’s in pre season before signing Coady did he?

• 2 weeks later...

There was that one moment yesterday where Palmer was going through and he cynically just pulled his shirt to stop him getting away and take one for the team.

Not saying it's the solution but wish we did more of that. Some of the dirty work. Could have really avoided that second goal going in before HT if Hamza had been a bit more determined and just brought Sterling down before he could get the ball in the box

Edited by HybridFox
  • Like 4