Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Will1981

Harry Winks

9 hours ago, StanSP said:

June was not a good time for some fans 

Screenshot_20230921-110921.thumb.png.1a1a32465370db88a3235a293e81552d.png

Screenshot_20230921-110941.thumb.png.2fa4b91bccc38b0ab40d31c67c273412.png

Screenshot_20230921-111026.thumb.png.2251feda165cee77e5b97a29e32a08d0.png

Screenshot_20230921-111037.thumb.png.02f005812184f5bcc954733ef7a7ab49.png

Screenshot_20230921-111054.thumb.png.2713ffd819b7dc8e23418587ebbdea34.png

Screenshot_20230921-111216.thumb.png.5ca220bebdbc8c2ba8859deb22abab19.png

Screenshot_20230921-111253.thumb.png.60a18af82e64a33e500885088462fc79.png

Not like the folk on foxestalk to over react before a player has even kicked a ball for us...........:whistle:

They're either the complete package, best player in the world or they're completely doggo and should never set foot on a football pitch, nevermind even pulling a Leicester shirt on.

Funny thing is, with both those scenarios it's usually the opposite that is true 😂

Winks was never going to set the world ablaze, he's not that sort of player, and in the defence of those heavily criticising the signing, before it was even confirmed, we'd lost Tielemans, Maddison and Barnes were as good as gone already and we were all desperate for a bit of creative quality. Winks, being the 1st signing we made, certainly wasn't that. But I was happy with the signing, he was, in my opinion, a typical steady Eddy, a bit like Andy King (without the goal scoring) just does the simple stuff well. Turns out he's a bit better than that, and is the reason we tick. 

We'll miss him when he's out of the team, which is gonna happen very soon. Depending on we we approach the cup game next week, I wouldn't be surprised to see both him and Vestergaard pick up a silly booking this weekend, gets there 1 game suspension out of the way in the league cup, rather than miss a league game

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

To be fair there was a period of adjustment that many people may have needed to go through. From a Premier League mentality to a Championship one. 

Winks would probably have been an uninspiring signing when we were trying to get into the European places. Then we suddenly find ourselves shite … and in the Championship. I wasn’t against the signing, but can’t claim that I had any great insight of his ability at this level. 

The Tielemans comparisons are interesting. We shouldn’t forget that YT was a great player for us in his earlier games at a pretty high level. Also the cup winning goal will forever be part of our history, but I just don’t know where it’s gone wrong for him. He’s gone from poor to very poor in the last two seasons and is s now struggling to make an impression at Villa 

Winks is certainly better than last season’s YT and maybe the version from the season before that. Is his threshold as high? I don’t really care if he helps get us out of the Championship 

• Like 1

Winks is at the heart of a lot that we do right - and he does a huge amount of "silent" work which allows us to play the way we do. 

Have a look at his movement. He is nearly always in space to receive the ball. And when he isn't, he is doing it on purpose, drawing his marker away from where he knows the team needs space. 

He also has that extra half a second when he gets the ball, which means that he already knows what he wants to do with the ball when he receives it. It's clear he's an intelligent player, who has a mental picture of where players are at any given moment in the game. 

Is he Zidane? Of course not. But there's a reason he has 10 England caps. He also was happy to try something else, going to Sampdoria when he didn't fit Conte's way of playing at Spurs. For me it was telling that he chose Italy to do so. 

He is clearly one of the best midfielders in the Championship – if not the best. He won't be out of place in the Premier League either, if we get promoted back up, which will help our transition back to the top level. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, HitchinFox said:

Winks is at the heart of a lot that we do right - and he does a huge amount of "silent" work which allows us to play the way we do. 

Have a look at his movement. He is nearly always in space to receive the ball. And when he isn't, he is doing it on purpose, drawing his marker away from where he knows the team needs space. 

He also has that extra half a second when he gets the ball, which means that he already knows what he wants to do with the ball when he receives it. It's clear he's an intelligent player, who has a mental picture of where players are at any given moment in the game. 

Is he Zidane? Of course not. But there's a reason he has 10 England caps. He also was happy to try something else, going to Sampdoria when he didn't fit Conte's way of playing at Spurs. For me it was telling that he chose Italy to do so. 

He is clearly one of the best midfielders in the Championship – if not the best. He won't be out of place in the Premier League either, if we get promoted back up, which will help our transition back to the top level. 

He couldn’t play at the base of the midfield should we get promoted..

even with KDH and Ndidi in there, Winks always gets overrun/wrong side..

think we would need to change his role,,may be a more attacking role..

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...if it is the Premier League, it would have to be £30 million upwards, I really cannot see anyone doing that, we are safe!!!

I don’t think he’d move if there was interest in him, he came here as he wanted a club he could settle at, make a name for himself and earn respect, a club where he could leave a legacy much like Kasper did (on his dads advice). He chose to drop down a league with other premier league offers on the table which does show the character of the man.

He liked what he saw in the club, I should imagine our recent success helped and he bought into the project and the managers ideas. I think he will be here for a while if everything goes well.

• Like 2

On 21/09/2023 at 21:03, Legend_in_blue said:

image.png.34acbe4bee7a9ded932f8c3210111685.png

7 games in and would you want him back?  lol

Harry Winks is a class act and we are fortunate to have him.

Nope.

Didn't want Youri here for the last twelve months.

One of the really glaring and unacceptable decisions of Brendan's reign to play an obviously disinterested Tielemans as captain. Other t players at the club must have been laughing their tits off.

• Like 1

Winks is a top player. Great at retaining the ball but what’s surprised me is his mobility and leadership on the pitch. 

it’s not very often he’s out of position but when he is he’s quick getting back in. Vast contrast to Tielemans last season who is just a slug. 

Winks seems a great character as well which we needed. 

I wonder who wanted winks at the club? Was it the club or Enzo? I hope it’s the club as it was clear we needed a player like him and Coady. 

13 minutes ago, frany104 said:

Winks is a top player. Great at retaining the ball but what’s surprised me is his mobility and leadership on the pitch. 

it’s not very often he’s out of position but when he is he’s quick getting back in. Vast contrast to Tielemans last season who is just a slug. 

I wonder who wanted winks at the club? Was it the club or Enzo? I hope it’s the club as it was clear we needed a player like him and Coady. 

Pure conjecture but given how pivotal he is as the err pivot it feels like a signing Maresca might have insisted upon when joining.  The club may not have really known we needed a player like Winks until they knew the style of the new manager.     

Perhaps he was already on the club's radar and Maresca pushed for him.  

2 hours ago, frany104 said:

There are huge gaps left through the middle when we lose possession.

it’s only the lack of quality in the opposition that has pre enter is conceding more goals.

there isnt much protection for the CBs 

as mentioned, he will more than help get us out of the championship but not the answer in the PL

37 minutes ago, Rigga said:

it’s only the lack of quality in the opposition that has pre enter is conceding more goals.

as mentioned, he will more than help get us out of the championship but not the answer in the PL

Not looking anywhere near that far ahead, there's 38 games to go yet. But what I would say is that there's far worse players than Winks that we've said wouldn't cut it in the PL and have proved everyone wrong.

5 hours ago, Rigga said:

If we get better than Winks, they will be some player

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

Watching him on and off the ball is exceptional. 

He's basically always in position to receive the ball, seems to know where the ball will drop and is on his way there. Watching him alter his body mid passing of a ball is also a great watch. 

I like how he can just escape from danger or a double press with how quickly he turns. Always knows where one of our players will be too. 

• Like 1