Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Will1981

Harry Winks

Spurs fans did say that in the right setup he can be an excellent player. It's just that with his injuries and a change in system Spurs couldn't get the best out of him anymore. That'll be a big factor in why he came to Leicester, he'll have seen that Maresca wants to use him the way he works best and so he can show his ability.

• Like 1

On 21/09/2023 at 21:09, Jimbo said:

Not like the folk on foxestalk to over react before a player has even kicked a ball for us...........:whistle:

They're either the complete package, best player in the world or they're completely doggo and should never set foot on a football pitch, nevermind even pulling a Leicester shirt on.

Funny thing is, with both those scenarios it's usually the opposite that is true 😂

Winks was never going to set the world ablaze, he's not that sort of player, and in the defence of those heavily criticising the signing, before it was even confirmed, we'd lost Tielemans, Maddison and Barnes were as good as gone already and we were all desperate for a bit of creative quality. Winks, being the 1st signing we made, certainly wasn't that. But I was happy with the signing, he was, in my opinion, a typical steady Eddy, a bit like Andy King (without the goal scoring) just does the simple stuff well. Turns out he's a bit better than that, and is the reason we tick. 

We'll miss him when he's out of the team, which is gonna happen very soon. Depending on we we approach the cup game next week, I wouldn't be surprised to see both him and Vestergaard pick up a silly booking this weekend, gets there 1 game suspension out of the way in the league cup, rather than miss a league game

Winks has been superb from, the first kick off there are a lot of sheep on this site who only go on what the person before them writes 

12 minutes ago, One Arm Babba said:

Twice the player youri was. Pursposely watch wink next game, everyone he gets the ball his movement/vision is a different level to all on the pitch. 

Tielemans in 20/21 was a very good player. Since then not so much but we shouldnt forget how good he was at running games and providing the opening pass/goal that season.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

He obviously isn't, but to give them some credit, there are some stats to make an argument for it:

5tGxGdG.png

Ampadu has been great defensively and is helping them start a lot of attacks. In the last few seasons, Leeds have had a suicidal playstyle, so having a calm head that does the unsexy stuff probably is a big deal for them, and there aren't many in the division better at that side of the game.

We use Winks totally differently. Winks may not win many tackles, but that's because it's not really his job. In fact, if he is winning tackles, it means something has gone wrong, because he's supposed to be receiving the ball in space and playing it round the corner.

However, in terms of the actual best player in the division. Well, I think the answer might surprise you, because it did surprise me. The best player, and TBH it's not even close, is this guy:

VGVx56f.png

To be in the top 7% of players in 11 separate categories is frankly... ridiculous. Even more so because we all think he could be a lot better, which given his ability and standard is true! He's definitely been a LOT better since the international break though, that has been obvious. But these stats don't lie, and that's the reason why teams like Liverpool were sniffing around.

Finally, what about the revelation of the season, Wilfred Ndidi? Now that is a really interesting one, and unfortunately there isn't that much data about him in his new role. FBRef has his last 365 data but not his Championship only data, whereas it does for the other players. The best I could find is this from SofaScore:

baIO2Qf.png

Green is KDH, so other than defensive actions, we see KDH is the all round better player. No real surprise there I would say, though perhaps the data is lagging because Ndidi has been one of the more consistent players this season I think. When his FBRef data is available for just this season, it will be super interesting to see where he ranks, that's for sure.

All that said, if you asked me I would say that Harry Winks has been our player of the season by some distance. I jokingly say he wears 8 on the shirt because 8/10 is what you'll get from him every game!

Interesting read. Thank you for posting. 

• Like 2