Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxile5

Callum Doyle

6 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Just watched the highlights back, not ideal that he was beaten easily 3 times (that was shown on the highlights) by a player cutting inside. Not seen any games since the Cov one, but has that been a regular thing?

Not something I've overly noticed watching live to be fair.

Josh Bowler for Cardiff gave him a bit of the run around in the first half.

Edited by coolhandfox

6 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Not something I've overly noticed watching live to be fair.

Josh Bowler for Cardiff gave him a bit of the run around in the first half.

Bet every analyst in the league will have noticed. The highlights are really poor, if it was Vesty people would be far more scathing. Doesn’t seem very athletic to me .

16 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Just watched the highlights back, not ideal that he was beaten easily 3 times (that was shown on the highlights) by a player cutting inside. Not seen any games since the Cov one, but has that been a regular thing?

He was targeted by Rotherham - part of the reason I think Mavididi got dropped too. 

That’s not to say that part of the issue is the lobsided structure of the back four as much as a technical weakness Doyle has 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, filbertway said:

He's clearly a good footballer and even a good defender, but he is shockingly slow - Doesn't matter if it's over a short or long distance. I think he just needs to be a bit cleverer in the 1 v 1's to account for this.

Delap didn't look a top player to me but he had the beating of Doyle every time he had him isolated.

20 minutes ago, filbertway said:

First game Ive been to this season. I was shocked at how many times he got beaten on the inside. It didn’t even require much skill it was that easy 

Edited by s11nny

He is a center back by trade, so I don't really expect him to be particularly strong in that area, but it seems like if you can get your winger/full back one on one with him, as long as they can cut inside it seems like he can't sort his feet out.

Still rate the lad, just something that stood out like a sore thumb in the highlights and I'm sure other teams will have noticed it.

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

I think it is more the gap left between him and Vesty, Doyle is involved in a lot of our build-up play and ends up pretty wide. 

I think it is more of a learning a new structure and shape issue than ability.

It’s also that Faes effectively plays right back at times too, so Vestergaard has to think about covering and that leaves a lot of space in the channel between him and Doyle

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, s11nny said:

First game Ive been to this season. I was shocked at how many times he got beaten on the inside. It didn’t even require much skill it was that easy 

Shocked…??

Some players give their opposites,a good runaround .It happens.

Then can’t get squat the next time..

like all positions one tries to make sure it doesn’t happen too regularly.

He's great on the ball but he does look vulnerable when having to defend 1 on 1 in wide areas. I'm hopeful that he can address that once he's mastered this hybrid CB/FB role he is playing. At Cov last season he played in a traditional back 5 as a LCB so we are asking him to do something quite different. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Doyle?

“I told him he has to score with us not with his international team! He’s a good guy, which makes it easier to work. He proved himself in the Championship last year. To make the big step, he needs to improve. But for 19 years old, he has reached many important things. He has many years in front of him. It’s good for young players to make the right path. For him and for me, it’s the perfect way. We’ll see next year (if he can play in the Premier League).”

On 05/09/2023 at 17:33, Bluearmyfox28 said:

There’s an obsession with slandering the young lads/ academy lads on this forum. I find it very confusing personally.

People preach for young players during transfer windows yet expect finished articles when they arrive.

Wild thought but it is likely be different people with differing viewpoints.

• Like 1

Currently our side is set up to attack in 1 v 1s and defend 1 v 1s, both require pace or vast skill to do so and yet our defence is criminally slow and only now have we enough options out wide to attack in those patterns and create the space for runners.

I still think we need to tweak the way we set up defensively, we need the pace of Justin and the leadership and experience of Coady, but I think as a unit we need to be better at aiding our defence, individuals get too isolated and teams will have already spotted that.

• Like 2

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Surprised this hasn't had any posts in tonight. He was up there as MOTM tonight I reckon. Defensively he was everywhere. There's so many good performances tonight but on the back of some honkers, he was class.

Completely agree. Hardly put a foot wrong.

He’ll become an established Premiership player