Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

2018 Helicopter Tragedy - Investigation Outcome/Verdict Released

44 minutes ago, Bert said:

I’d be surprised if anyone can’t remember where they were like it was yesterday. I remember going down to the ground the day after and it was such a surreal atmosphere, obviously. 

Yep. Remember every minute of the night until I finally fell asleep at stupid o'clock. It's mad, I couldn't recall what I ate for tea yesterday or anything else that happened that year but remember that evening like a video in my memory. It knocked me for six.

The hope at first that he might not have been on it and the unclarity of things but then finally the unimaginable being confirmed I'm sure will be etched in my memory forever. At one point there were rumours that Kasper might have been getting a lift back to the airport and we weren't sure if Top or Rudkin were on it either. Then the news Kasper had legged it out to try and save him. Let's not forget he lives with that every day of his life. How horrific that must have been. Of course, let's not forget and spare a thought for the close friends and families of all those who perished. 

One thing I really struggled with too was people close to me that just didn't understand the importance of it to me. It wasn't they were being disrespectful but just couldn't fathom how much it affected me that night and the days/weeks after. I ended a fairly serious relationship because of it as I realised she really didn't know me at all. 

• Like 2

Was a terrible night all round.

Probably some of the worst crowd trouble I can remember for an English game at the KP that night with it all kicking off with West Ham on the roundabout

Remember being in town post match and rumours going round everywhere and sirens

9 hours ago, An Away Move said:

Sounds like the pilot put the helicopter down as ‘softly’ as he could manage in an area least likely to cause more fatalities. But still with enough to impact to kill one and injure the others. The fuel leak came from hitting a concrete step. Horrendous. 
Pilot is a hero. 

I agree with this absolutely.  I thought immediately that it couldn't have been pure luck that the pilot got the thing down where it did (without any further casualties), under the most horrific of circumstances. Even five years later the whole event still seems surreal to me.  I recall the individual and collective emotion in the stadium, especially during the silence  at the rememberance fixture v Burnley. 

7 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

The Police helicopter used to drop the match ball off for years before that on the remembrance fixture

I never used to like that either. There was one fixture, might have been for Forest at home if I remember right, where it literally looked like it was struggling to get off after not looking right when it was landing. 

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

All sorts of wild speculation around that night about who was onboard. Rumours that Lineker and/or Southgate might be involved. 

Remember it was rumoured on here that it Puel, based on a couple of still close-up images posted on here of a man that looked like him walking towards the helicopter.

-

Vichai was really a 'one-off' chairman in English football, wasn't he?

So generous and kind, to both the fans and the local community assets he donated his wealth to - such as Leicester Hospitals Trust etc.

Why does life seem to take away the good ones in the world, and yet the nasty ones seem to carry on living life despite scarring their victims psychologically for a long time?

Anyway, will be very surprised if someone can name a current chairman like him in today's 'modern football'.

Edited by Wymsey
  • Like 1

On 06/09/2023 at 06:04, AmyLGK said:

"The recommendations include validation of design data by suppliers post-test; premature rolling contact fatigue in bearings; life limits, load spectrum safety margins and inspection programmes for critical parts; and assessment and mitigation of catastrophic failure modes in systems."

Im shocked these weren't already in place for such a critical component 😮

My same thoughts, I noticed in the airplane industry a lot of what seems like common sense directives were also only applied after people lost their lives, seems to be too much reactive in this stuff.

• Like 1

I am so terribly sorry for all those who lost loved ones as a result of this horrible accident. This must have been a huge loss for the aviation community (having read the obituary of the pilot and co-pilot), King Power and for those who worked with Vichai at the football club. The donation by his foundation of £800,000 to the Leicester Cathedral redevelopment in his memory, will be a permanent reminder of a generous billionaire, who was sympathetic to the city that the football club he owned, represented. The football club existed prior to King Power and will exist after, however having grown up during the end of the Adams and Levein era, Vichai helped to deliver the greatest moments on the pitch I will ever experience, and I am so sorry that it ended so tragically for him, in a place that he would have associated with great happiness. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

My same thoughts, I noticed in the airplane industry a lot of what seems like common sense directives were also only applied after people lost their lives, seems to be too much reactive in this stuff.

Sadly, that's how it works in almost every area of transport.

The 100's (or even 1000's) of safety measures implemented in airlines, railways, shipping, roads ... have often only been implemented after accidents.

I've gotta admit I was steaming the night of the crash and didn't really take on the news. I had a few messages from people making sure I was safe because the information of who was actually injured /died was vague at this point but the next day when I woke up it really hit home. 

• Like 1

A dark day, perhaps the darkest, for our club.

I have refused to go on helicopters since this happened and after reading summaries of this report someone would have to put a gun to my head to get on one. 

From what I’ve read, it was fully serviced and checked and supposedly in good nick. That the failure of a ball bearing can lead to a fatal crash seems ridiculous.

I think it’s pretty clear as well that Vichai would never have allowed the club to flirt with relegation for as long as we did, let alone actually going down. Clearly on field performance is not what we think of when we think of this tragedy, but his death was huge and it’s hard to draw any other conclusion when the dust settled.

Edited by Wasyls Pec Deck
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

A dark day, perhaps the darkest, for our club.

I have refused to go on helicopters since this happened and after reading summaries of this report someone would have to put a gun to my head to get on one. 

From what I’ve read, it was fully serviced and checked and supposedly in good nick. That the failure of a ball bearing can lead to a fatal crash seems ridiculous.

I think it’s pretty clear as well that Vichai would never have allowed the club to flirt with relegation for as long as we did, let alone actually going down. Clearly on field performance is what we think of when we think of this tragedy, but his death was huge and it’s hard to draw any other conclusion when the dust settled.

Vichai was a much more ruthless man but still managed to appear on exceptionally good terms with his past football managers. 

What an incredible man he was. 

He had a clear vision for our club and clearly fell in the love with the place as I think he'd come several thousand miles to attend the game Vs West Ham that night. 

He had so much more to give and the taking of his live is an unbelievable travesty for him and my heart goes out to his friends and family for their pain and suffering for the loss of him 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...