Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

2018 Helicopter Tragedy - Investigation Outcome/Verdict Released

In essence, with the bearing failure in the rotor then, this was an accident waiting to happen. 

What I am surprised by and I’m sure that some of the more production or engineering members of the forum would be better placed to comment on, can you not hear a difference when bearings begin to fail? 

• Like 1

"The recommendations include validation of design data by suppliers post-test; premature rolling contact fatigue in bearings; life limits, load spectrum safety margins and inspection programmes for critical parts; and assessment and mitigation of catastrophic failure modes in systems."

Im shocked these weren't already in place for such a critical component 😮

• Like 4

Reported in The Guardian too,

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/06/helicopter-crash-leicester-stadium-tragic-accident-inspectors

So sad to hear the last exchanges between those onboard and that the pilot did everything right, but had no idea what was going on. Crazy that wear to a ball bearing caused it.  

2 hours ago, Sly said:

In essence, with the bearing failure in the rotor then, this was an accident waiting to happen. 

What I am surprised by and I’m sure that some of the more production or engineering members of the forum would be better placed to comment on, can you not hear a difference when bearings begin to fail? 

Maybe not. The mileage done by the helicopter was within the service range of the part that failed. It failed prematurely. Not an accident waiting to happen from that perspective. 

• Like 2

I wish I hadn’t read it all now, but wow what a job the Pilot and Co pilot did in just 14 seconds in an attempt to not only give everybody the best chance of survival but also thinking of the built up area below..incredible.

But after reading that all I can think is, if it wasn’t for that raised concrete/kerb where they landed then there’s a chance it wouldn’t have toppled and less chance of a fuel leak and obviously a more easy escape route for any left conscious?

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, An Away Move said:

Maybe not. The mileage done by the helicopter was within the service range of the part that failed. It failed prematurely. Not an accident waiting to happen from that perspective. 

I'm as far from an expert as it's possible to be, but aren't accidents resulting from component failure within their service life really rare? The one thing I've learned from watching too many episodes of Air Crash Investigation is that a high proportion of accidents can be traced back to an individual messing up, be it pilot error, a botched repair, not sticking to the maintenance schedule etc etc.

Any incident like this is unfortunate, but this one seems incredibly unlucky

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

I wish I hadn’t read it all now, but wow what a job the Pilot and Co pilot did in just 14 seconds in an attempt to not only give everybody the best chance of survival but also thinking of the built up area below..incredible.

But after reading that all I can think is, if it wasn’t for that raised concrete/kerb where they landed then there’s a chance it wouldn’t have toppled and less chance of a fuel leak and obviously a more easy escape route for any left conscious?

The fuel leak could have occurred seconds before that, perhaps? 

Agree about pilot and Co-pilot. To have the speed of thought to soften the landing is incredible. In those seconds of chaos they still had the presence of mind to think of that. 

3 hours ago, Sly said:

No engineer, but I would guess other engine noises and whooshing of blades might mask the sound of grinding bearings. :dunno:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

No engineer, but I would guess other engine noises and whooshing of blades might mask the sound of grinding bearings. :dunno:

Yes, I’d debated that. 

I’ve just been discussing this with our Operations Manager where we work. He’s work on machinery for 25+ years in a noisy construction environment and he said that he can hear a difference in sound, when bearings start rubbing. However he is around it all day, so obviously knows the sound difference.  

I’m guessing pilots aren’t as attuned, as they’d normally be within the body of the helicopter. 

It’s so tragic and I’m guessing an in-depth investigation has been carried out by the bearings manufacturer. Something as daft as a change in the bearing housing itself could alter the entire dynamic.

Hopefully some of the recommendations that they’ve suggested are adopted. 

14 minutes ago, Sly said:

Yes, I’d debated that. 

I’ve just been discussing this with our Operations Manager where we work. He’s work on machinery for 25+ years in a noisy construction environment and he said that he can hear a difference in sound, when bearings start rubbing. However he is around it all day, so obviously knows the sound difference.  

I’m guessing pilots aren’t as attuned, as they’d normally be within the body of the helicopter. 

It’s so tragic and I’m guessing an in-depth investigation has been carried out by the bearings manufacturer. Something as daft as a change in the bearing housing itself could alter the entire dynamic.

Hopefully some of the recommendations that they’ve suggested are adopted. 

Pilots would have also had headphones on which would have muffled any noise form the rear. 

A sad and tragic event and extremely unfortunate 

• Like 2