Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 4

I think, as we’d never be in that position and lost before, I was always a believer after the Manchester City game. 

Until that point, I always though we’d fall away.

Bizarrely, I expected more from us in the two seasons we finished 5th. I thought we did bottle it ourselves. The Christmas period when we lost to Liverpool and Manchester City (I think) was painful.  

Watford in the play-offs turned that group into absolute animals. It created a mentality which meant that there was no way we were missing out on either the Championship or Premier League title.

Weirdly, it wasn't the Man City game which made me think we could do it. We were still riding a wave at that point. It was Arsenal away- it hurt and felt like Watford, and knowing how that group reacted to crushing results, I think I knew they'd turn it into a positive.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Swansea fans the latest to go through the usual stages when playing us.

1. "We can give these a game, they lost to Hull! Reckon if we're on it we can turn them over"

2. "I'd take a point" 

3. "Look at how much money they've spent! It's basically a Premier League team, how are we meant to compete?"

(Optional) 4. "Your fans are shit 😂😂😂😂"

5 Leicester should be embarrassed that they got relegated with this side lol

14 hours ago, Fox forever said:

So true. You can’t bottle something if you were never in front. Hear this so often especially on radio. So annoying. Only one team could bottle that year and we didn’t!

Now now, let's not rewrite history ourselves, every Spurs fan had this in their stocking the following Christmas!
Ccy5PWtW4AAKw9G.jpg

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Swansea fans the latest to go through the usual stages when playing us.

1. "We can give these a game, they lost to Hull! Reckon if we're on it we can turn them over"

2. "I'd take a point" 

3. "Look at how much money they've spent! It's basically a Premier League team, how are we meant to compete?"

(Optional) 4. "Your fans are shit 😂😂😂😂"

It is basically a PL team, however our summer net spend was most likely well below theirs.

10 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

When it narrowed down to ourselves and Spurs around March we drew with west brom at home which looked like a bad result at the time but spurs then fluffed their lines drawing at west ham the day after and then arsenal in the Saturday afternoon kick off.

West Brom was their opening but they didn't take it. We were 1 point further ahead by the following Saturday having played 1 less game.

I remember thinking the West Brom draw was a bad result. I think Spurs actually lost to West Ham 1-0 the next night so our point looked a lot better

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Nett spend is pretty irrelevant when you sell £90m+ worth of players 

It’s not really, that means you’ve lost 2 or 3 top quality players, who all need replacing. 
Nett spend is a way better way of looking at what a team is actually doing in the transfer market.

12 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

When it narrowed down to ourselves and Spurs around March we drew with west brom at home which looked like a bad result at the time but spurs then fluffed their lines drawing at west ham the day after and then arsenal in the Saturday afternoon kick off.

West Brom was their opening but they didn't take it. We were 1 point further ahead by the following Saturday having played 1 less game.

If I remember correctly, we drew with West Brom at home and then Spurs, Arsenal and Man City played the day after and ALL lost; therefore we gained a point on them overall so was a fantastic gameweek lol

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

It’s not really, that means you’ve lost 2 or 3 top quality players, who all need replacing. 
Nett spend is a way better way of looking at what a team is actually doing in the transfer market.

We had a good premier league squad 

we’re now in the championship 

what we spent in the summer is relevant - teams coming down will always sell a few quality players.  I don’t think you can compare teams dropping down and teams already in the EFL re summer nett spend.  and what about loaned out too ?  We lost several players as loans which doesn’t bring anything into the nett equation. 

9 hours ago, Fox42 said:

If I remember correctly, we drew with West Brom at home and then Spurs, Arsenal and Man City played the day after and ALL lost; therefore we gained a point on them overall so was a fantastic gameweek lol

For me this was the first time I thought hello it might actually happen. Then I got really nervous at the prospect.

Just now, Foxdiamond said:

For me this was the first time I thought hello it might actually happen. Then I got really nervous at the prospect.

I enjoyed the FA cup more…. It was a free hit and a lot of fun

I was occasionally too full of anxiety to fully embrace 15/16!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wolfox said:

I enjoyed the FA cup more…. It was a free hit and a lot of fun

I was occasionally too full of anxiety to fully embrace 15/16!!!

I loved 15/16 because I never expected us to win it until we drew with West Ham, would have been happy with a Champions League place but the FA cup I really wanted us to win it, was hoping fifth time lucky and was thrilled when we won it. Went to both the current Shield games too and was happy when we won that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ithuriel said:

I loved 15/16 because I never expected us to win it until we drew with West Ham, would have been happy with a Champions League place but the FA cup I really wanted us to win it, was hoping fifth time lucky and was thrilled when we won it. Went to both the current Shield games too and was happy when we won that.

I was lucky enough to be at Wembley too…. As the seating was spaced out I remember in final few moments strolling up and down a bank of seats like an expectant father waiting for the midwife to appear and proclaim ‘it’s an FA Cup’ !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

Still amazed at the way things went from 2013 to 2021.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ithuriel said:

We've had two great phases in my lifetime supporting Leicester, the run under O'Neill when we stayed up and got to three League Cup finals and the current run which started  with Pearson winning the league one title and is not yet over, if we go straight back up we break more records and who knows what happens next season :)

At the time I thought the O'Neill years would be the pinnacle of my Leicester supporting life. My natural caution won't let me think ahead too far this season but certainly enjoying it so far